By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I Have Finally Decided My Gaming Purchases for This Gen.

I would dump a few hundred into the PC, and get both the 360 and PS3.

Most every game you will like on the PC, is also on the 360, but can be played at about the same level as a very high end PC. Plus, games that come out for both CoD4, BioShock, GoW, Oblivion are designed for the Console, so unlike old school PC gaming, are dumb down. That sucks for us PC gamers, but it means they play as well or better on consoles.

So, I would put 600 or so into the PC now, and get both the PS3 and the 360 today! (if you get one of those cool Dell monitors, you can hook all three up to the same screen)

Around the Network

Really, I'd just get a 360 and not bother with the PC. You're right that pretty much every game for the 360 is coming out for the PC nowadays, but the reverse is true as well (unless you absolutely must play The Witcher or Crysis). Plus, the 360 is much less expensive and easier to maintain.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

with a good pc under your belt the 360 is a moot point

mesoteto said:
with a good pc under your belt the 360 is a moot point

True, but my video card alone was $500.

Also, in 2 years my PC will not be able to play the latest games and look very good. In 2 years, the 360 will play everything that comes out for it very well.

If money is no object, I would forgo the 360 and get a $2,000 PC (well I would, and did, get both). If you want the best bang for your buck, get a nice PC (that can play all the MMO's well), and buy a 360.

Other then Crysis, you have all your bases covered. (and if you don't like Halo, I will assume that's no big loss).

tokilamockingbrd said:
to tell you the truth, ninja gaiden does not make me want a 360, I would not buy NG no matter what, even if I had a 360...

I don't know what it is about awesomness that turns you off, but so be it. (my Tomonobu Itagaki shades)

"I feel like I could take on the whole Empire myself."

Around the Network

Oh, and congratz on whatever you do! $1,400 of new techie stuff is always fun :)

ChronotriggerJM said:
quigontcb said:

Sounds great except for one thing: Ninja Gaiden 2.

If MGS4 or NG2 weren't exclusive(for now at least), I would have a much easier time making up my mind on which of the HD consoles I'd like to get next. Who knows what's going to happen with KH3. Then there are others for the PS3 and 360 that sound nice, like FFXIII, SOCOM, next thing from the ICO team, Viva Pinata, Bioshock, Splinter Cell, and some others. At least RE5 is multi, so that is a load off my shoulders.

But I probably won't have the money for either one any time soon, as there are plenty of games I want to get for Wii, DS, and PS2(even though my PS2 doesn't work).

Sounds a lot like you need an 80 or 60g ps3 now doesn't it >: )

I do, but not quite as much as Sony needs to go back in time and make a simple PS3, instead of a costly BR player that happens to play PS3 games.

But seriously, it wouldn't be near as much of an issue for me to get a PS3(when the games arrive that is) if my job hadn't been screwing me over all last year. As it is now, I may not end up getting a PS3 or 360 until their successors are right around the corner.

"I feel like I could take on the whole Empire myself."

tokilamockingbrd said:

I was having alot of difficulty deciding what console I will buy this Gen, I knew I would get a Wii, but I was not sure about my HD console... After serious thought I have come to this conclusion.

Between March and When I graduate from College in May I will buy my Wii, I have been waiting because well, I could not find one over christmas, and I do not have time during the semester to play. When I purchase it I will get MP 3, SMG, SSBB and MK(if it is out) with it. I have Zelda: TP for cube, so I will wait until it becomes a best seller to pick it up.

Now this is where it is difficult to decide, I like the Libraries(and future library's) of both the PS3 and 360... but all of the games I really want for the 360 on PC and the PS3 is too expensive.

So here is the plan, my laptop turned 4 this week so I need a new PC, I am going to build and powerful gaming PC/ Multimedia PC, using about 1400 dollars including a 19-22 inch monitor. This way I can get CoD4, and Oblivion(the only 360 games I want) and replace my PC in one shot...

I will wait a year or 2 until the PS3 has dropped in price to around 200-250 and then buy it, for the BR and the PS3 games I MUST HAVE (GT5, FFXIII, MGT4, GTA4)

I plan on the Wii being the console I buy 60% of my games (With selecting certian titles for PC, and PS3)

I have no interest in Halo at all... so that is why I do not need a 360...

So what do you all think about my plan?

Wii/PC is a great setup you won't regret.

Ironically we have a lot of the same problems with the PS3 and 360 as consoles and have opted for the same choices.  The only difference is where we are at in our PC upgrade cycles.

If you need any help when you go to build your PC let me know, I do it regularly as a secondary income so I keep pretty up to date on new parts releases and current prices. For the $1400 you are willing to spend you can get a very very nice system. 

To Each Man, Responsibility

Bad choice. You're going to miss out on all the great games.

PCWii3 or w/e you want to call it really is a great choice. I have it now, and I'm loving it. :D

I just can't wait until Brawl and MGS4 hit. Then I'll be in gaming heaven...

*goes into trance pondering gaming heaven*