By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If Halo 3 couldn't stop the Wii....

What do you think will happen if Wii fit coincided with the release of GTA IV? That would be an interesting situation.

Nintendo & Sony Supporter

Currently own- DS, PSP, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, PS3 DreamCast.

Man i have too many consoles..... 

Quotes to live by!

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing"- Helen Keller

"i am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"-Thomas Edison

"Man is not the creature of circumstancesCircumstances are the creatures of men"

Around the Network
BornFirst. said:
What do you think will happen if Wii fit coincided with the release of GTA IV? That would be an interesting situation.

I'll make that prediction:

Absolutely nothing.

It's like Schindler's List releasing the same day as SuperBad.  The demographics are polar opposites.

I'll let you choose which game is SuperBad and which is Schindler's List. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

SSBB would be a better candidate to go against GTA.

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

Jandre002 said:
GTA4 = Wii killer. But they need to set a damn concrete release date and advertise the hell out of it.

I think both HD consoles need this, and Madden if they are ever going to stop the Wii's progress.

Madden is huge as well though. It needs to NOT SUCK like last years though. If there is one thing the Wii can't stop, its freaking football baby.

Nope.  GTAIV like Halo 3 is a hardcore gamer title - it might boost 360 and PS3 sales but will not affect Wii due to differing demographics.

Also, check recent posts regarding how M titles sell like bricks swim on the Wii...

I really don't see any big PS3/360 title doing more than help those platforms.  The Wii will only slow up if public interest does dry up or Sony and MS start producting marketing and titles to start taking some of its casual market.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

i think in america anyways it will slow down some this year, i dont think its gonna sell another 19 millions this year, especially seeing the january 12 sales of wii in america.

i still think it will sell 15 million units or so this year. I say this because of their huge first party titles, 3 already came out (metroid, mario galaxy, zelda) and only one huge one (super smash brothers brawl) is coming this year.

of course there are other games like wii fit that are supposed to be good, but besides brawl i dont see any game become a huge 9.5 plus rating classic.

Around the Network
dannyphantoml05 said:
i think in america anyways it will slow down some this year, i dont think its gonna sell another 19 millions this year, especially seeing the january 12 sales of wii in america.

i still think it will sell 15 million units or so this year. I say this because of their huge first party titles, 3 already came out (metroid, mario galaxy, zelda) and only one huge one (super smash brothers brawl) is coming this year.

of course there are other games like wii fit that are supposed to be good, but besides brawl i dont see any game become a huge 9.5 plus rating classic.

Um... Mario Kart.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

rocketpig said:
BornFirst. said:

I'll make that prediction:

Absolutely nothing.

It's like Schindler's List releasing the same day as SuperBad.  The demographics are polar opposites.

I'll let you choose which game is SuperBad and which is Schindler's List. 

Well i think the Wii will remain sold out (if it still is by then), but the 360 and PS3 will see a nice boost. Thouhg i expect wii fit to have longer legs. Though GTA games do have long legs.

Nintendo & Sony Supporter

Currently own- DS, PSP, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, PS3 DreamCast.

Man i have too many consoles..... 

Quotes to live by!

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing"- Helen Keller

"i am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"-Thomas Edison

"Man is not the creature of circumstancesCircumstances are the creatures of men"

No, but I don't think that should be a big surprise. The consoles have been out long enough now. I have to think the number of people "on the fence" about which console to support is relatively low. People have either decided that they will get a Wii, or they will not. If GTA4 plays a part, it was in the making of that decision in the first place.

Really, if the Wii remains sold out, and a person who wanted both saw both on the shelves, they would most likely buy both. But if they could get only one, and only one was sure to still be on the shelves come the next paycheck, I'm guessing I know which one they'd buy.

Look at this ,

Week of January 5th :
Wii - 19.72 Million , 43.8 %
Xbox 360 - 16.33 Million , 36.33 %
PS3 - 8.96 Million , 19.9 %

and now

Week of January 12th :
Wii - 19.94 Million , 43.7 % increased 0.22 million , decreased .1 %
Xbox 360 - 16.48 Million , 36.1% increased 0.15 million , decreased .23 %
PS3 - 9.22 Million , 20.2 % increased 0.26 million , increased .3 %

The PS3 sold the best last week , wii wasn't in first . So obviously te wii can be stopped.

PSN NAME : CommonCriminal

Now Playing : The Orange Box , Call of Duty 4 : Modern Warfare

KH3 Bet :

"I, Badonkadonkhr, risk 1 week ban by claiming KH3 will be Sony exclusive, if I am found wrong, I will also start a thread praising those who were right"

Only read OP , Firstly Halo 3 wasn't and isn't selling to the same market the nintendo Wii is (for the most part) it's like trying to find the effect the price reduction of eggs will have on the sales on lawn mowers , there's no correlation.

even the name "GTA" is enough to outsell Halo , I think it'll have somewhat of an effect on Wii's sales but not too significant I think.