By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pachter: Nintendo “just doesn’t get it” with the Wii U

Shitstorm is brewing

Around the Network

Yeah, Pachter didn't get the Wii either - until it's sales kept mounting, year over year until it was undeniably the generation's winner.  And it's a stretch that he 'got' it even then.  He just admitted he was wrong.

However, while I got the Wii and predicted it's 20m sales in 2007, I don't get WiiU either.

I think Wii U will do well over the holidays (even the GameCube did fairly well during holiday seasons), but like the 3DS will struggle in the non-holiday months (sans Japan).

Pachter is being harsh, but I wouldn't really be surprised if Nintendo's market shrinks to this during this gen:

Wii U: 45-50 million (down from approx 100 million Wii)
3DS: 80 million (down from 150 million DS)

Still a sizable market, but I think they're going to take hits as 3DS/Wii U will not be the same type of hit with casual gamers now that everyone is making casual games (the "new"/"trendy" factor behind it is shrinking). 

Gamerace said:

Yeah, Pachter didn't get the Wii either - until it's sales kept mounting, year over year until it was undeniably the generation's winner.  And it's a stretch that he 'got' it even then.  He just admitted he was wrong.

However, while I got the Wii and predicted it's 20m sales in 2007, I don't get WiiU either.

What's not to get? It's the Wii-philosophy expanded with an asymmetrical component and new online inferface.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Nintendo and PC gamer

Around the Network

“Nintendo is partying like it’s 1985. Their strategy is ‘We got lucky with the Wii, so if we just try something different, we’ll get lucky again. In their vocabulary, the word ‘lucky’ doesn’t exist-substitute ‘brilliant.’ Unfortunately I don’t think it [the Wii U] looks brilliant.”

Stefan.De.Machtige said:
Gamerace said:

What's not to get? It's the Wii-philosophy expanded with an asymmetrical component and new online inferface.

It's not.  It's the antithesis of the Wii.  Wii was about expanding to a new audience.  About simplicity.  About revolutionary new controls.

WiiU is a return to complicated control schemes (dual analog), catering to hard fought for, shrinking, core market, about emulating what others are already doing (Apple)  - poorly.

I'm getting tired of this guy. At first, he was easy to ignore because he's obviously brain damaged. Now, he's just getting out of hand. I want to grab him by the collar and give him a good shake.

d21lewis said:
I'm getting tired of this guy. At first, he was easy to ignore because he's obviously brain damaged. Now, he's just getting out of hand. I want to grab him by the collar and give him a good shake.

You are not allowed to shake babies.

Honestly, I'd be more worried if Pachter "got" the Wii U ...