By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Disturbing Wii Third Party SalesTrend- IGN's Matt's C

naruto said:
bluster said:
Also is worth mentioning, that the fact that 3rd parties dont get to the first spots in the Wii sales ranking is because Nintendo was really inspired in this last year. All the games were quite good, really.
Then again, Its also worth mentioning, to stop this 3rd partys not selling stuff, that the Wii has had some of the best selling 3rd parties games of the years, actually. Mario & Sonic could easily had been the best selling 3rd party game in Europe if it had been released earlier in 07. And Dragon Quest Swords has sold more copies in Japan than any other next-gen 3rd party game. Period.

ok Mario & sonic they worked with nintendo on the game and plus mario is in the game it going SELL because of Mario and friends is in the game plus it's a PARTY GAME

and Dragon quest Swords? Most of DQ sales comes from japan no duh it's going sell

Yes, that's true, but consider that almost 50% of the games released on the "average" video game console are developed in Japan.  Got that in your mind?  Now consider that not a single PS3 or 360 game in Japan has even managed to break half a million.  That includes former million sellers like HSG, Gundam games, and Dynasty Warriors.  Now, consider according to developer reports the average PS3 and 360 game costs up to 3X the average Wii game of similar quality and effort.  Now, with all that in mind, where would you expect the majority of these home console games to be developed this generation?  

Third party games aren't doing well on home consoles (or really anything but the DS) in general in Japan, but do you really expect the ones that are made on home consoles to be on much else other than the Wii?  If games aren't selling well in general, when you do go to make a game, are you going to make it on the system with high userbase, low dev costs, and the highest software sales (both first and 3rd party) to this point, or the systems with low userbase, high dev costs, and much lower software sales?  You decide. 

Around the Network
naruto said:
bluster said:
Also is worth mentioning, that the fact that 3rd parties dont get to the first spots in the Wii sales ranking is because Nintendo was really inspired in this last year. All the games were quite good, really.
Then again, Its also worth mentioning, to stop this 3rd partys not selling stuff, that the Wii has had some of the best selling 3rd parties games of the years, actually. Mario & Sonic could easily had been the best selling 3rd party game in Europe if it had been released earlier in 07. And Dragon Quest Swords has sold more copies in Japan than any other next-gen 3rd party game. Period.

1. ok Mario & sonic they worked with nintendo on the game and plus mario is in the game it going SELL because of Mario and friends is in the game plus it's a PARTY GAME

and Dragon quest Swords? Most of DQ sales comes from japan no duh it's going sell

1. Wanna go down this road?

Call of Duty 4 and Halo sold just because of their respective names. Bioshock sold just because it was a shooter. Assassin's Creed sold because it was advertised like hell.  *

* Not believing any of the above, just spinning around the facts as naruto did. 

2. Dynasty Warriors sell mostly in Japan too; what's the point? 

naruto said:
bluster said:

ok Mario & sonic they worked with nintendo on the game and plus mario is in the game it going SELL because of Mario and friends is in the game plus it's a PARTY GAME

and Dragon quest Swords? Most of DQ sales comes from japan  no duh it's going sell

Your opinion doesnt contradict what Ive said, Wii still places some big selling 3rd party games.

Also, M&S  was a smash hit mostly in Europe, like I said, and something tells me it wasnt because of a fat italian...

considering historic Sega popularity in Europe

Wii60+DS owner

Long Time Nintendo loyalist

People who buy the Wii don't want anything experimental that isn't from Nintendo or that doesn't have a brand name attached to it already.

Look at Mario and Sonic at the Olympics. Game has a 68 on metacritic but it has sold over 2 million. Zack and Wiki has an 87. A very good score. Guess how many it has sold? 130,000 copies. The Wii is generally about name recognition and trendiness, of course with some exceptions like Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime, Brawl, Twilight Princess, and WarioWare which I can legitimately say are quality games.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

akuma587 said:
People who buy the Wii don't want anything experimental that isn't from Nintendo or that doesn't have a brand name attached to it already.

Look at Mario and Sonic at the Olympics. Game has a 68 on metacritic but it has sold over 2 million. Zack and Wiki has an 87. A very good score. Guess how many it has sold? 130,000 copies. The Wii is generally about name recognition and trendiness, of course with some exceptions like Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime, Brawl, Twilight Princess, and WarioWare which I can legitimately say are quality games.

Zack & Wiki was given ridiculously poor retailer support and zero advertising. Well under 25% of retailers even stocked the game till a month after it was released, and even then it was (and remains) completely unadvertised.

Around the Network

Im happy to see that at least Nazna and rot got my point :)

Ill use this post to say hi! to all VgChartz, I used to visit the page daily, but just now I decided to start posting in the forums. Its just so much fun, lovin it

OT: Sooner or later 3rd partys will suport Wii (or perish). Its just a matter of time

Wii60+DS owner

Long Time Nintendo loyalist

naznatips said:
naruto said:
bluster said:

ok Mario & sonic they worked with nintendo on the game and plus mario is in the game it going SELL because of Mario and friends is in the game plus it's a PARTY GAME

Yes, that's true, but consider that almost 50% of the games released on the "average" video game console are developed in Japan.  Got that in your mind?  Now consider that not a single PS3 or 360 game in Japan has even managed to break half a million.  That includes former million sellers like HSG, Gundam games, and Dynasty Warriors.  Now, consider according to developer reports the average PS3 and 360 game costs up to 3X the average Wii game of similar quality and effort.  Now, with all that in mind, where would you expect the majority of these home console games to be developed this generation?  

Third party games aren't doing well on home consoles (or really anything but the DS) in general in Japan, but do you really expect the ones that are made on home consoles to be on much else other than the Wii?  If games aren't selling well in general, when you do go to make a game, are you going to make it on the system with high userbase, low dev costs, and the highest software sales (both first and 3rd party) to this point, or the systems with low userbase, high dev costs, and much lower software sales?  You decide. 

this how the way i see it third party japanese games on Wii, 360 and PS3 are bad in general

so if  japanese developer i try to make games on PS2, DS or PSP

it's simple Japan is becoming fully Portable  gaming lovers Period

naruto said:

this how the way i see it third party japanese games on Wii, 360 and PS3 are bad in general

so if japanese developer i try to make games on PS2, DS or PSP

it's simple Japan is becoming fully Portable gaming lovers Period.

I'd agree with that statement in general, but that doesn't stop developers from trying.  There are far more JRPGS announced for the Wii than the PS3 and 360 right now. Lots of artistic games like Oboro Muramasa and King's Story are in development for the console as well.   It's true that the recession has hit the home console market hard in Japan, but the 3rd party market that's left really is given no choice but to make Wii games if they wish to develop for a home console.  

bluster said:
Im happy to see that at least Nazna and rot got my point :)

Ill use this post to say hi! to all VgChartz, I used to visit the page daily, but just now I decided to start posting in the forums. Its just so much fun, lovin it

OT: Sooner or later 3rd partys will suport Wii (or perish). Its just a matter of time

So basically you are saying Just Wait 

3rd party do not have support the wii

they could just put there games on PS2, DS, PS3, 360, PC and PSP

why do you think they so many japanese developer trying to make western games to make profit from the west

essentially third parties have two options at this point.

1.Quit bitching, and put some money into the wii so that you can actually sell a quality title instead of games like Soul Calibur legends

OR

2. Take a major hit putting millions into the HD machines, while Nintendo becomes the most extravagantly wealthy Videogame company in the world, then get bought out by Nintendo and make games exclusively for the wii2.

It's really up to them, but the way things are going now, the Nintendo train isn't stopping. You can get on board or get run over, but the path that the PS3 and 360 have taken (all arguments about comparative quality of said path aside) the consumers have voted against. The money isn't over there. They are digging themselves into a hole that there is no treasure at the bottom of.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.