By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Disturbing Wii Third Party SalesTrend- IGN's Matt's C

I dont understand these kind of statements. Is as if everyone in the gaming world wanted the Wii to fail...
Its even unfair to Nintendo that after a year of Wii-success, thing like this comes up.
First: I dont know who was the first to state that 3rd parties dont sell on Wii, but he/she/it has spread some kind of stupid schizofrenia that doesnt seem to stop. Look at the numbers people! 3rd partys DO sell on Wii, specially those who has put at least a little effort in their games.
Take away all Nintendo published tittles and the Wii is still selling almost the same software that PS3 is selling, and why then, theres not a single thread about the PS3 terrible software sales???
Second: Some 3rd partys efforts wicha are considered a faillure need a second reading too. Zack & Wiki flopped? Wait and see the final numbers, but Okami, Capcom also inspired effort bombed worst in the PS2, a console with 6 times the Wii userbase and a biggest demographic (¿?it seems to be a fad to use this word)
No More Heroes could really bomb, or maybe it could sel at least 300k LTD. That would be bombing?, considering the sales of Killer 7 in both the GC and PS2???
Also, as much as I admire Suda, what was he expecting???Killer 7 is IMO one of the best games of the last few years, but it only hit 30000 homes in the entire world!!!
Why would NMH become a hit seller, beeing exactly or even more bizarre and crazy than Killer 7...
I really hope a big matureAAA get to the Wii soon & sells well, so this pointless threads will stop respawning over the web...

Wii60+DS owner

Long Time Nintendo loyalist

Around the Network

All arguments he made are weak. Manhunt 2? It sold almost as well as the PS2 version and is a mediocre game; as stated above, all Suda51 games flop and that kind of games never sell well in Japan.

For God's sake people, I really can't stand this anymore. I cannot stand 3rd parties putting utter crap or unknown, niche, low budget games on the Wii and the whine about them not selling. The industry is in some serious Nintendo monopoly danger! 3rd parties need to step up their game, not steer away from Nintendo consoles.

They simply cannot let Nintendo monopolize Wii, as its marketshare is too huge to be ignored! They really need to stop complaining and focus on the system. Don't tell me a DQ10 or a FFXIV or a RE6 game wouldn't sell on the Wii; it would smash all records!

Really, the only 3rd party that seems to be adapting to the new industry era is Capcom. Mark my words: any small third party developer this generation that ignores the Wii will either bankrupt or seriously weaken. Many big developers will also take a hit. Also if developers don't adapt to the Wii, the market will be seriously saturized! We'll go to a shop and the only games that we'll see are FPS, Resident Evils, Metal Gear Solids, Final Fantasies, Dragon Quests, Guitar Heroes, Maddens, etc.

Seriously, Nintendo will swallow up the entire industry if developers don't try to compete with them, which I think they easily can.

Suda's comment is really funny. He developped on many platforms including the PS2 and the DS and none of his games sold decently. Now I'm pretty sure No More Heroes will outsell all of his previous games, maybe even combined if it sells well in US/Europe. This guy makes great games which never sell at all, but he's blaming the Wii. I don't remember about him when killer7 released saying he would develop for another console since the PS2 and GC's audience didn't match his games...

NVM. Pointless.

Also is worth mentioning, that the fact that 3rd parties dont get to the first spots in the Wii sales ranking is because Nintendo was really inspired in this last year. All the games were quite good, really.
Then again, Its also worth mentioning, to stop this 3rd partys not selling stuff, that the Wii has had some of the best selling 3rd parties games of the years, actually. Mario & Sonic could easily had been the best selling 3rd party game in Europe if it had been released earlier in 07. And Dragon Quest Swords has sold more copies in Japan than any other next-gen 3rd party game. Period.

Wii60+DS owner

Long Time Nintendo loyalist

Around the Network

I bought these 3rd party games for the Wii-
Ghost Squad
Guitar Hero 3
Kororinpa Marble Mania
Metal Slug Anthology
NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams
Trauma Center: New Blood

Guitar Hero 3 is my favorite but I enjoy all of them. Trauma Center and Kororinpa are truely amazing games that all Wii owners should buy.

Here are 3rd party VC games I bought for the Wii-
Eternal Champions
Golden Axe II
Simcity

Most games I rent for the Wii are 3rd party games. I'll likely rent another 9 3rd party games this year.

Perhaps I am unusual, but I think Wii has better 3rd party games than any other system (except for DS). I bought 9 3rd party games since I bought my Wii and intend to buy at least 3 more this year. As long as a ton of good 3rd party games continue to come to Wii, I am happy.

currently playing: Desktop Tower Defense (PC), Puzzle Quest (DS), Trauma Center New Blood (Wii), Guitar Hero III (Wii), Ghost Squad (Wii), Actraiser (SNES), Donkey Kong County (SNES), The Legend of Zelda (NES), Kirby's Adventure (NES)

will play next: Paper Mario (N64), Golden Axe II (Sega), NiGHTS (Wii)

Join the Ron Paul RLOVEution, support Ron Paul for president in the 2008 Republican presidential primary! http://www.ronpaul2008.com

bluster said:
Also is worth mentioning, that the fact that 3rd parties dont get to the first spots in the Wii sales ranking is because Nintendo was really inspired in this last year. All the games were quite good, really.
Then again, Its also worth mentioning, to stop this 3rd partys not selling stuff, that the Wii has had some of the best selling 3rd parties games of the years, actually. Mario & Sonic could easily had been the best selling 3rd party game in Europe if it had been released earlier in 07. And Dragon Quest Swords has sold more copies in Japan than any other next-gen 3rd party game. Period.

ok Mario & sonic they worked with nintendo on the game and plus mario is in the game it going SELL because of Mario and friends is in the game plus it's a PARTY GAME

and Dragon quest Swords? Most of DQ sales comes from japan  no duh it's going sell

azrm2k said:
Actually he wasn't talking about 3rd parties not selling but mature games not selling well. Even the 3rd party offerings that have sold well like GH3 aren't overly mature so he was talking about how some publishers are wary of putting more adult titles on the Wii since they feel the audience won't buy it.

I disagree with his manhunt 2 comment though. I know it shipped as I rented it and played it. I didn't buy it because it was horrible. I don't mind a mature game. I mind a bad game.

OFT!!!!!!

@RolStoppable : Iwata already stated that Nintendo doesn't make all the types of games and they prefer that 3rd parties take care of filling the blanks in their consoles' libraries. And actually, around 50% of games published by Nintendo are made by 3rd parties. For example Hudson should be very happy with Mario Party 8 sales.

When complaining about a game's sales on Wii, one must think "how much would this game have sold on another console ?". I don't think that games like No More Heroes, Zack & Wiki, Opoona, Dewy, Manhunt 2, EA Playground, Boogie, Soul Calibur Legends, Nights... would have sold more on any other system. But since it's on the Wii, they're allowed to complain about Wii's demography that doesn't like their games.

When games bombed on the PSone, I don't remember about people saying "that's because of new gamers, they're not hardcore enough, I should have made my game for the N64".

Nice read. He is right and wrong. While RE is a very established franchise, it's hardly an anomoly. Metroid did okay on the system, but it still has sold less than the first metroid prime, which sold better with a smaller userbase. But that isn't the point. NMH tanked because it's a Niche game, much like Killer 7. But 3rd parties won't come out with "hardcore" games, because of games like "Carnival Games", "Wii Sports and Play", and "Wii Fit" selling. If Ninty came with a good, mature shooter that sold, then yeah, but unless they start to stop kiddy games coming to the Wii, and selling well, this trend may never end. :(

But hopefully, NMH sells in america and europe, and then people may change their minds. Because this weighs heavy on my decision to not own a wii. I've gotten over the graphical difference from the PS360, but I would love to see some really good shooters with using the Wii remote.