By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Kwaad said:

I've been bashed for calling the Wii a fad, over, and over, and over. Why is being a fad bad? Look at Furby. A horrifically stupid, waste of money. Sold 20million in a 12 month period.

How is being a fad bad? Had furby not been a fad, it would have probibally sold 500,000. Not 40x that number like it did.

How is being a Fad *GREAT* for a new console? It will skyrocket it's userbase through the roof early on, thus causing devs to make games for that console, and give it it's longevity.  

I wanna ask the Wii-atics this.

Why is the Wii being a fad bad? Becuase if the PS3 was a fad, it would be blowing the doors off the wii, and the Wii would never be heard from again. 

what would it take for you to not call it a fad?

Wii ID: 3598-1817-7961-3393. PM me if you want an add

If it wasnt for MGS4, the PS3 is unnecessary

Around the Network
Blex said:
what would it take for you to not call it a fad?

Continued sales for the next3 years, and to keep 360 and PS3 sales lower.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

From Wiki: 

A fad, also known as a craze, refers to a fashion that becomes popular in a culture relatively quickly, but loses popularity dramatically. Some fads may come back if another generation finds out about it and gets interested in it. For example Dayglo paint was a fad in the USA the late 1970s. Then Dayglo accessories and clothes (such as cycling shorts and Dayglo socks) had a comeback in 19841989. It is arguable that a fad that remains popular for a significant amount of time typically loses its significance in current popular culture as it evolves and becomes accepted into a society's everyday culture (e.g. television, Internet, music, video games and dances)

Kwaad, I think this might just be your worst thread in a while.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

There's no satisfying you, eh? Kwaad?

If the Wii doesn't sell, then it's a failure. If it sells too fast, then its a fad. What do you want?

Around the Network
That Guy said:

There's no satisfying you, eh? Kwaad?

If the Wii doesn't sell, then it's a failure. If it sells too fast, then its a fad. What do you want?

My guess is : That the PS3 sells as much as the Wii.

of course, if the PS3 sells as fast as Wii, then its NOT considered a fad.

A fad for games was the electronic pets from a few years back. Remember like 10 years ago everyone had these keychain like pets that looked like crap. Gigapets I think was the name. It was really cheap, less than $20, and died out in like 6 months.

The difference with this and the Wii is that the wii is 10x more expensive and has thus far not slowed down. I don't think electronics that are this expensive can be considered fad's. Most people don't consider buying a $250+ toy something they will just toss a few months later as most fads become.

As for your arguement that even if it were a fad that could be good. Well, yes I agree. In the games market the console which has the largest userbase will eventually enter the cycle that ensures it becomes the best selling system. If Wii is a fad that lasts a year before it would have normally died, well, that will be to late for ps3/360 as it will have garnered most of the dev support and thus get all of the games like the ps1 did, then, it will sell due to having all of the good games and so on.

I personally think that the Wii is just the best option due to price and what the mass market actually wants right now. 

Every winning console has been a fad at some point. Usually it's been the fad, that had decided, that what console wins in the last round. One good example of fad today is the HDTV:s, although, the fad isn't about its HD features. Someone asked why PS2 had longer life, than it's competitors, well it sold the most. But why it sold more than others, is because since it was 2nd to hit the market at its generation, people knew what that gen could offer, and didn't wait for others to come. Since it had the PS brand, it beat Dreamcast at starters and became a fad, which everyone had to have.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

I much prefer the wii controller to a 360 controller simply because it can funciton much closer to the keyboard mouse combo than the 360 controller can, if the developers actually TRY to use it anyway.

It is possible that a enhanced wii remote could become superior to the keyboard mouse combo, if they just increased accuracy and decreased lag. Think going from a trackball to a laser mouse.

Also, looking at the historical trend data on a number of console comparisons from this site, there is no previous example or any kind of indication other than pure speculation that the Wii will have a large downtrend point at any point in its lifespan.   All data thus far points towards it mimicing the ps2's success.

We've had a number of console generations and to think that one with a great sucess at the beginnging and maintaining it for this long, would even have much of a chance to have a rapid decline in the future is playing against the odds and against what history has shown. 

History data comparing the older sucessful consoles vs the wii's current trend, is unlikely to be incorrect over the long term.   On that data alone, I'd give the wii 1:1 Odds and the ps3 and the 360 considerable worse odds to be the overall system selling leader this generation.

Compound the HD adaption rates on a percentage increase extrapolating the future years in HD penetration, and you still dont get to even 50% penetration by generation end, making HDtv's the minority.

My 2 cents.