By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

fad

–noun
a temporary fashion, notion, manner of conduct, etc., esp. one followed enthusiastically by a group.

a fashion that is taken up with great enthusiasm for a brief period of time; a craze.

a temporary fashion; a craze, interest or activity that (some) people follow enthusiastically, but lasts for a short period of time

It's not temporary nor is it followed enthusiastically by a group any more than any other console.

It's not a FAD, sorry but you're just stirring the pot with this thread, and I haven't read all of the posts, nor do I need to make the point I want to make.

It's simple, the Wii isn't a fad, and saying so is making negative comments about the Wii, don't try and justify it any other way.

Around the Network

I'm sorry, but any good will that Kwaad had before with his smarter posts have all but run out. He's gotten more troll-like as of late.

its a gimmick driven fad. hell the mediocrity of the hardware and games show that sales are driven by nothing but hype.

What do you it want to do, Hus? Not sell? How does it hurt you if the Wii sells well? I don't understand your anti-Wii sentiment and the animosity you have against it. Ask youself this question: Are Wii sales taking away PS3 sales?

Well Hus is just afraid that his so beloved sony console could fail...

And it is a well known psychological fact that fear of failure leads to aggressive behaviour towards successful people/things (in this case the wii).

I think at this moment and with this current price structure Wii sales ARE taking away PS3 sales, even if only a relatively small amount. Many people want to buy a next-gen console now and PS3 is way too expensive for them. And the 360 is produced by Microsoft, and Microsoft is not really loved in Europe and even less in Japan...

Around the Network

If the Wii tanked and did horrible, would PS3 be doing any better? Or would people just continue buying guitar hero and still hold off on the PS3?

Hus said:
its a gimmick driven fad. hell the mediocrity of the hardware and games show that sales are driven by nothing but hype.

That Guy - At least I'm not calling it that.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Kwaad, when you call Wii a fad in all those other threads with a negative tone, you can't expect people to sanctify you if you try to make it sound positive now. It's the same logic with the boy who cried "Wolf".

Btw, i'm sure you are only using this to get Wii fans to admit that Wii is a fad, so you can use this as a point of refferance.

Kwaad: "But you all said it, the Wii is a fad i have proof!!"

Wii Fans: "But yourself said, that fad by your definition is.."

Kwaad: "LALALALALALALALA, CAN'T HEAR YOU FAD FAD FAD!!"

"You won't find Adobe here in Nairobi"

Well the Wii will be a fad compared to something like the DS which will certainly sell amazing though it's entire lifespan. I'm guessing the Wii has this high period in it's first two years, than through 2009 it begins to plummet. It could be sooner, or it could be later, but eventually I just see a brickwall where 360 and PS3 have games that look so amazing, and the systems will get cheaper, and the casual gamers can no longer ignore them. The Wii will own a good portion of this generation of gaming, make no mistake about it, and the software will be there. Fad is probably not the right word for what the Wii will likely accomplish. Certainly the Wii will have a profound effect on the future of motion sensing gaming, which is where I believe the industry will trend to over the next few decades.

Christopher_G2 said:
Well the Wii will be a fad compared to something like the DS which will certainly sell amazing though it's entire lifespan. I'm guessing the Wii has this high period in it's first two years, than through 2009 it begins to plummet. It could be sooner, or it could be later, but eventually I just see a brickwall where 360 and PS3 have games that look so amazing, and the systems will get cheaper, and the casual gamers can no longer ignore them. The Wii will own a good portion of this generation of gaming, make no mistake about it, and the software will be there. Fad is probably not the right word for what the Wii will likely accomplish. Certainly the Wii will have a profound effect on the future of motion sensing gaming, which is where I believe the industry will trend to over the next few decades.

The DS is an interesting console to bring up because there are several parallels to the DS vs. the PSP and the Wii vs. the PS3; the main points would be that:

1. Sony's Hardware is dramatically more powerful than Nintendo's hardware
  2. Sony started out with far greater third party support than Nintendo did
  3. Sony's hardware had (much) more multimedia functionality than Nintendo's hardware
  4. Sony's online strategy was "better" than Nintendo's online strategy
  5. Sony's hardware was far more expensive than Nintendo's Hardware
  6. Sony's games cost more than Nintendo's games

The main difference is how this competition has began compared to the PSP vs. DS battle. In September 2005 (this will be similar to September 2007 in the lives of the PS3 and Wii) the PSP and DS had sold roughly the same number of consoles (8 Million) worldwide and were both selling at a far slower rate than the Gameboy Advance had; from that point on the DS sold at a much faster rate then the PSP and third party support started to dramatically shift towards the Nintendo DS. In contrast the Wii has started out selling at a much faster rate than the PS3 and is rapidly picking up third party support; if third parties start announcing their major titles to be Wii exclusive (like they have been for the DS) then there is no chance for the PS3 to make a recovery.

On top of all of that, Since late 2001 we have been in a very unusual economic environment; low interest rates and easy to access credit have increased the price of homes to record highs and people have been borrowing against the artificial equity that this produced to buy expensive luxury items. Over the next few years we will be seeing increases in interest rates, massive reductions in housing costs, unusually high mortgage forclosures, and higher unemployment; the combination of all these factors will make it difficult to sell any console but any console that is over $200 or $300 will be next to impossible to sell.