By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - How can the GOP be argued to be pro-life instead of merely pro-birth, at best?

richardhutnik, the term pro-life is perfectly adequate to cover the GOP's position and everyone knows what the term means.

Around the Network
kain_kusanagi said:
Really? Not only are you exaggerating, but you aren't looking at it from the right perspective. If unborn babies are humans then killing them is murder. The US government outlaws murder for obvious reasons. Welfare has nothing to do with the outlaw of killing. Your argument is pure straw man.

I don't really have a stance on abortions, but I have a questions for people that say this. At what point does terminating an unborn life count as murder. Would killing sperm count as murder? What about the moment sperm contacts a woman's egg? Would that be considered murder? Basically, what's the definitive moment where a life is established enough to be able to be murdered? Three months in pregnancy? Three weeks? Three days? 

Soleron said:
richardhutnik, the term pro-life is perfectly adequate to cover the GOP's position and everyone knows what the term means.

It means "pro-birth" politically.  

Jay520 said:
kain_kusanagi said:
Really? Not only are you exaggerating, but you aren't looking at it from the right perspective. If unborn babies are humans then killing them is murder. The US government outlaws murder for obvious reasons. Welfare has nothing to do with the outlaw of killing. Your argument is pure straw man.

I don't really have a stance on abortions, but I have a questions for people that say this. At what point does terminating an unborn life count as murder. Would killing sperm count as murder? What about the moment sperm contacts a woman's egg? Would that be considered murder? Basically, what's the definitive moment where a life is established enough to be able to be murdered? Three months in pregnancy? Three weeks? Three days? 

For most pro-life advocacy groups stopping  a pregnancy from happening is not an abortion. Abortion would come after conception. So in your terms it would be murder to terminate a pregnancy after the sperm combines with the egg.

But for most reasonable people, rape, incest, and in the case that the pregnancy threatens the life of the mother all reasonable reasons to have an abortion. That doesn't mean they want public money to be used for it, but they wouldn't judge someone who's been raped who decided, after counseling, to terminate.

richardhutnik said:
Soleron said:

Why are you arguing symantics. It has no effect on the issues.

Why do they call it "pro-choice" when it should be called "pro-death?"

See how pointless that is?

Around the Network
richardhutnik said:
Soleron said:

American politics is a nightmare then. I'm just talking names for philosophical positions.

You're being very partisan. Take a step back and realise that they want you to be this angry, and that voting the other way isn't fixing anything.

kain_kusanagi said:
richardhutnik said:
kain_kusanagi said:

The argument has to be do with calling oneself "pro-life".  How can you argue the scenario I described is anything pro-life at all?  Welfare has to do with the case of being a party of life, which is what the GOP claims.

Good grief man. Let's forget for one second that most republicans are conservatives and conservatives prefer to donate to charities rather than pay taxes that go to wasteful welfare programs. Let's forget about that for one sec ok. Oh and while we are at it let's forget that what the republican party wants is to stop public money from being used for abortion more than an outright ban on all reasons for abortion. Ok so we've forgotten about all that. Now lets' talk about the government's role. It is supposed to uphold the constitution, protect our borders, and enforce the law. None of that has anything to do with abortion/healthcare or welfare.

None of us have a god given right to be taken care of by the government nor do we have a god given right to a free abortion paid for by people who don't like abortion. That's the rub man. People don't want their money going to something they consider to be the murder of babies. They would rather give their money to charities that do a better job of helping people in need then the government does. Ok, you can remember that other stuff now.

The GOP party wants an end to all abortions, period.  This isn't just a case of funding abortions, it has to do with actually outlaw women, who even can pay to have an abortion, from having abortion.  That is in their platform:

http://ontheissues.org/Republican_Party.htm#Abortion

http://ontheissues.org/Celeb/Republican_Party_Abortion.htm

So, combining your view with theirs, it forbids women who were raped from terminanting their pregnancy and requires them to give birth.  After that, laws of child protection forbid abandonment.  All along, the government does nothing to help, based upon your opposition to taxes.  At least if you are going to be Libertarian and oppose coersion, you end up opposing the GOP's view on this.

Soleron said:
richardhutnik said:
Soleron said:

American politics is a nightmare then. I'm just talking names for philosophical positions.

You're being very partisan. Take a step back and realise that they want you to be this angry, and that voting the other way isn't fixing anything.

And I am looking at the underlying reasoning behind it, and the labels people use.  Do you think, for example, if I showed up at an advocacy group for "right to work" laws looking for them to find me employment, they would help?

And this isn't partisan, it is focused on one issue.  And fall out from it.  I asked a partisan question (or more pointed at one party), because I want to know exactly what is pro-life about forcing a woman who is raped to give birth, and doing nothing to help in the process. I am pro-life in a far more general sense than the partisan pro-birth view of the GOP side.  And that is what it is.  The GOP platform says it has a "pro-life agenda". This thread asks to show it.

kain_kusanagi said:
richardhutnik said:
kain_kusanagi said:

The argument has to be do with calling oneself "pro-life".  How can you argue the scenario I described is anything pro-life at all?  Welfare has to do with the case of being a party of life, which is what the GOP claims.

Good grief man. Let's forget for one second that most republicans are conservatives and conservatives prefer to donate to charities rather than pay taxes that go to wasteful welfare programs. Let's forget about that for one sec ok. Oh and while we are at it let's forget that what the republican party wants is to stop public money from being used for abortion more than an outright ban on all reasons for abortion. Ok so we've forgotten about all that. Now lets' talk about the government's role. It is supposed to uphold the constitution, protect our borders, and enforce the law. None of that has anything to do with abortion/healthcare or welfare.

None of us have a god given right to be taken care of by the government nor do we have a god given right to a free abortion paid for by people who don't like abortion. That's the rub man. People don't want their money going to something they consider to be the murder of babies. They would rather give their money to charities that do a better job of helping people in need then the government does. Ok, you can remember that other stuff now.

Find me a charity or group of charities that can provide a social safety net as comprehensively and equitably as government.

Leaving things up to charities is far too YMMV, as it can vary wildly based on location, not to mention charities can (not saying they do in any significant numbers, just that they can) discriminate based on lifestyle, race, and so on.

makingmusic476 said:
kain_kusanagi said:
richardhutnik said:
kain_kusanagi said:

Find me a charity or group of charities that can provide a social safety net as comprehensively and equitably as government.

Leaving things up to charities is far too YMMV, as it can vary wildly based on location, not to mention charities can (not saying they do in any significant numbers, just that they can) discriminate based on lifestyle, race, and so on.

Why do I have to provide you with data? I stated that people believe that charities do a better job than government. It's debatable whether private charities could take over in day, but it's not debatable that it's a common conservative opinion. I will say that I believe this country has become far too complacent with welfare. It should be a path to self reliance rather than the multigenerational lifestyle it has become.