By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Angry Video Game Nerd's "Super Nintendo vs. Sega Genesis"

Watched them before, but I watched them again- brilliant videos; I wish I was around for the Nintendo vs Sega war

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

Around the Network

Great videos.

The Turbo CD had realistic (and much better) music years before the SNES, though.

And what selection of Genesis music is that? Moonwalker? Battletoads? Road Rash? Where are the games with good music? :D

One of the things he's missing is that lots of SNES greats never reached Europe (Final Fantasy games, Chrono Trigger, Seiken Densetsu 3, Front Mission, Bahamut Lagoon, Dragon Quest...) which made things more even here.

Great video's.. As a core gamer SNES wins but the MD did have some awesome games too, particularly in the action/arcade/sports field.

The newer hardware of the SNES did help it from a technical pov though surprised the video never mentioned the Sega VR chip which was used on Virtua Racing (kinda like the FX chip on SNES used for Starwing).

But yeah. SNES vs MD was the most epic console war of all time imo though the 360 vs PS3 is pretty intense too.

My favorite parts of the video was when his younger self came out to defend the Nes (which was obviously underpowered against the Genesis) and then how his attitude changes when he compares the Super Nes to the Genesis.

I like how he pointed out that Sega made a big deal about the one single thing (processing speed) that the Genesis had over the Super Nes, hardware wise. In the end, I just love this video. It made me feel like a kid, again.

Sega had blast processing, but Nintendo had posters so it was hard to decide who the true victor was of that generation.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network

Kid James: "Genesis does what Nintendo doesn't? WRONG! There's a SUPER Nintendo!!"

Man, me and him would have been best friends in school, no doubt about it. That's just how I acted at that age.

d21lewis said:
Kid James: "Genesis does what Nintendo doesn't? WRONG! There's a SUPER Nintendo!!"

Man, me and him would have been best friends in school, no doubt about it. That's just how I acted at that age.

Yeah, he knew all about the Power Gun too.

Great videos.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

d21lewis said:
My favorite parts of the video was when his younger self came out to defend the Nes (which was obviously underpowered against the Genesis) and then how his attitude changes when he compares the Super Nes to the Genesis.

I like how he pointed out that Sega made a big deal about the one single thing (processing speed) that the Genesis had over the Super Nes, hardware wise. In the end, I just love this video. It made me feel like a kid, again.

Tbh he seemed to be definately more in the Ninty camp and this showed with his disdain for spots games and the hardware part was kinda incomplete.  In actual games the MD was the one with the higher res games (inc the multi platform ones).

Here's a more in-depth comparison hardware wise- http://www.gamepilgrimage.com/book/export/html/10922

The SNES is a great console, but my childhood was spent on Genesis games.

I saw some games on there that really took me back. Road Rash, Alladin, Alien Storm and Altered Beast only to name a few.

Badassbab said:
d21lewis said:

Tbh he seemed to be definately more in the Ninty camp and this showed with his disdain for spots games and the hardware part was kinda incomplete.  In actual games the MD was the one with the higher res games (inc the multi platform ones).

Here's a more in-depth comparison hardware wise- http://www.gamepilgrimage.com/book/export/html/10922

Read the info and it was pretty informative but it seemed to paint an unclear picture which makes me question its motives.  They criticize Gamepro and EGM for being excited about the coming of the successor to the most popular console of all time (at the time).  The writer seems totally oblivious to the fact that Sonic the Hedgehog beat Super Mario World for Game of the Year and the Genesis beat the Super Nes for console of the year at the time.  I still have the issue of EGM (1991 Buyer's Guide, I think.  I'd have to dig it out) where they said, "If Nintendo hadn't been busy suing everybody and made a REAL Super Nintendo, they would be the winner--complete with reviews from each editor who unanimously chose the Genesis that year).

In the end, the Super Nes won because it was doing things graphically via the hardware that the Genesis was trying to do with software or not at all.  It had support that the Genesis just didn't have and it had more capable versions of many big multi-plat games.  On top of this, it seemed like Sega just quit bringing their "A-Game" when the Super Nes started to come into its own.

Now, the games look so similar that the average gamer couldn't even tell which game was on which system if you showed them two screenshots.  At the time, though, the difference seemed so big.  Kinda like comparing PS3 and 360, today.  But then, I admit that I'm a Nintendo guy.  I much more willing to accept anything that says Nintendo won and be skeptical of anything that shows Sega was awesome.  I eventually became a Sega fan, for what it's worth.