By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Angry Video Game Nerd's "Super Nintendo vs. Sega Genesis"

Oh, I'm tagging this for when I get home! I love the nerds videos - been quite a while since he did something new! Thanks D21!!

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
Badassbab said:
d21lewis said:
My favorite parts of the video was when his younger self came out to defend the Nes (which was obviously underpowered against the Genesis) and then how his attitude changes when he compares the Super Nes to the Genesis.

I like how he pointed out that Sega made a big deal about the one single thing (processing speed) that the Genesis had over the Super Nes, hardware wise. In the end, I just love this video. It made me feel like a kid, again.

Tbh he seemed to be definately more in the Ninty camp and this showed with his disdain for spots games and the hardware part was kinda incomplete.  In actual games the MD was the one with the higher res games (inc the multi platform ones).

Here's a more in-depth comparison hardware wise- http://www.gamepilgrimage.com/book/export/html/10922

Read the info and it was pretty informative but it seemed to paint an unclear picture which makes me question its motives.  They criticize Gamepro and EGM for being excited about the coming of the successor to the most popular console of all time (at the time).  The writer seems totally oblivious to the fact that Sonic the Hedgehog beat Super Mario World for Game of the Year and the Genesis beat the Super Nes for console of the year at the time.  I still have the issue of EGM (1991 Buyer's Guide, I think.  I'd have to dig it out) where they said, "If Nintendo hadn't been busy suing everybody and made a REAL Super Nintendo, they would be the winner--complete with reviews from each editor who unanimously chose the Genesis that year).

In the end, the Super Nes won because it was doing things graphically via the hardware that the Genesis was trying to do with software or not at all.  It had support that the Genesis just didn't have and it had more capable versions of many big multi-plat games.  On top of this, it seemed like Sega just quit bringing their "A-Game" when the Super Nes started to come into its own.

Now, the games look so similar that the average gamer couldn't even tell which game was on which system if you showed them two screenshots.  At the time, though, the difference seemed so big.  Kinda like comparing PS3 and 360, today.  But then, I admit that I'm a Nintendo guy.  I much more willing to accept anything that says Nintendo won and be skeptical of anything that shows Sega was awesome.  I eventually became a Sega fan, for what it's worth.

I agree with you but would add the SNES was supported a couple more years after Sega ditched support for the MD to concentrate on the Saturn.

Also Japan never got along with the MD (kinda like the Xbox and 360 today).

I should get out of the Nintendo Forums more often, so I don't miss out on thread like this (and finding out who Kain is XD)!
Happy to see the Nerd is back and covering the bloody hell 16bit console war. OMbloodyG that brings back memories, I was more of a netrual fanboy at the time, rocking on the SNES and the Genesis mainly for Sonic and Mario games, the only game I actually beat in those days was Daytona USA, bloody hell that takes back. But yeah, I actually hated the Sega ads for bashing the Nintendo back in that time and I still do now.
The younger nerd reminded of me back in those days too!

And proud member of the Mega Mario Movement!

As much as I prefer the Super Nintendo, I think the angry video game nerd was kinda biased on this video.

^Well, he WAS called angry nintendo nerd from the start ;)

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network
DanneSandin said:
^Well, he WAS called angry nintendo nerd from the start ;)

lol, yeah.