By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 5 Ways To Save Final Fantasy

I agree with most of the reasoning behind these points.

I did like the battle in XIII but I can't say I like it more than the other games.

Definitively need an awesome enemy and a real purpose to playing, XIII was terrible with that. Not only did I not care about saving...whatever I was saving, people I never saw or people that wouldn't use the emergency exit...aliens that ate people, I don't know. I understood the story but it was not motivating and the ending was extremely disappointing.

Simplicity...sure, the game that sticks out the most for being too complicated is XII, so much story, so often lost, the game makes it hard to pick up after you put it down. XIII wasn't all that complicated but there wasn't a story outside of a journal which was just as informed as you were really because it updated as you went. All it did was fill you in on the descriptions of things and the backstory...which I didn't care about, I wanted better game.

Spoilers*in case you didn't play them.
Old school setting isn't really necessary and actually didn't sit too well with me when they came out with IX even though they delivered with that, I much prefer VII, VIII, and X. This odd mix of what seems like the past to us with future like technology, technology that is isolated in its development that it is like man made magic. In VII you had mako which was similar to oil, it powered cities and cars and let you cast magic. VIII had private military, time travel, a military society with an interesting level of technology with a older look, and an isolated super advance future society that goes to space! X took you from a futuristic world that is the past lost technology in the future you time travel too. The world is traditional, religion based, but at the same time advancing in technologies in a few places. Essentially it is rather diverse while in XIII it was super tech and the uninhabited world...that has nothing and no one in it.

I missed the world map when X came along, it was something that was missing. Thankfully the game still had a lot going for it so it didn't matter so much. XIII on the other hand if it had a world map with an airship I would have flown around that and called it a game instead of what they gave us... Ok, not really but FF loses an appeal when you need to walk from place to place or they put in a quick travel feature (screw all quick travel features, create transportation systems like in Morrowind you damn Oblivion, you ruined my foot game). Losing a world map encourages the game to become more linear while having one might encourage them to make use of it like they always did with secrets, alternative routes, sidequests, sidequests, sidequest, OMFG sidequests.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Around the Network

I like to add,
Kill the random battles and the screen shifting bullsh*t, If I want to be pulled out of exploration during a game, I'll go to a patch of grass and run around in circles.

LevelUP said:
I like to add,
Kill the random battles and the screen shifting bullsh*t, If I want to be pulled out of exploration during a game, I'll go to a patch of grass and run around in circles.

I'm guessing you haven't play XIII or XII?

Gilgamesh said:

That guy. I want to kill that guy.

Kafka...

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Kasz216 said:
mysticwolf said:
blkfish92 said:
Kasz216 said:
Save Final Fantasy from.... what. FFXIII sold pretty good considering.

Yes I see what you're saying, though a fair amount of fans my have a bone to pick with ff13. It doesn't matter entirely because it sold very well.

That's all that matters to SE.

____

I don't think FF is broken. But then again, what do I know, I've only played FF13

See, I think it is broken... but it doesn't need saving.

Since well... it still sells well.   Which means it's still popular.

I mean... I compare it to other JRPGs... and it's not really a contest.

Really it's a shock it's sales are so strong.

for a lot of people FF seems to be there designated RPGs for the generation.

it sells well but could sell much more if they make a final fantasy like ff6 to ff 10, a ff that fans want and are asking for them to make.

edit : and if they continue this path, making games like ff 13 i dont think the brand can survive next gen , i thing there is a lot people like me that would never buy a ff game like ff 13 again, all things i liked from ff games they trow away :(

I wonder if it would.

People have moved away from JRPGs since the time those games came out.

This generation has all been about "The rise of the WRPG"

I feel like this has less to do with fan dissapointment as it is a natural shift.  I imagine SE's consumer research has shown the same, hence why they've been more proactive in trying to western up FF.

Around the Network

Just release this game

series saved

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share

Kasz216 said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Kasz216 said:
mysticwolf said:
blkfish92 said:
Kasz216 said:
Save Final Fantasy from.... what. FFXIII sold pretty good considering.

Yes I see what you're saying, though a fair amount of fans my have a bone to pick with ff13. It doesn't matter entirely because it sold very well.

That's all that matters to SE.

____

I don't think FF is broken. But then again, what do I know, I've only played FF13

See, I think it is broken... but it doesn't need saving.

Since well... it still sells well.   Which means it's still popular.

I mean... I compare it to other JRPGs... and it's not really a contest.

Really it's a shock it's sales are so strong.

for a lot of people FF seems to be there designated RPGs for the generation.

it sells well but could sell much more if they make a final fantasy like ff6 to ff 10, a ff that fans want and are asking for them to make.

edit : and if they continue this path, making games like ff 13 i dont think the brand can survive next gen , i thing there is a lot people like me that would never buy a ff game like ff 13 again, all things i liked from ff games they trow away :(

I wonder if it would.

People have moved away from JRPGs since the time those games came out.

This generation has all been about "The rise of the WRPG"

I feel like this has less to do with fan dissapointment as it is a natural shift.  I imagine SE's consumer research has shown the same, hence why they've been more proactive in trying to western up FF.

I agree that fans want a staple game. I was utterly sickened by XIII and despite XIII-2 supposedly being an improvement I can't seem to want to buy the game. If they make XV like XIII I will probably not buy it.

There has been talks about the JRPG collaspe for a long time now, usually pinning them with a lack of innovation and terrible combat. This might prove true for quite a few JRPG titles but Final Fantasy have always been solid in my opinion. I still love turn based combat, I like managing a battle, I like numbers, I like the marginal improvments, I like collecting items, equiping my characters, learning abilities. Some people don't but that doesn't mean other battle systems are better because it will always have people who prefer the other. JRPGS have tried to be reactionary to the critics and the western variation on the genre and I believe it has been their undoing. Not the criticism, but trying to change. They are trying so hard to improve a few things that the great things are being left out and then they are left with untested concepts, which could be successful but could also disrupt a very established fan base. 

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
VicViper said:

To me, it's already saved :)

blatant advertizing, but check it out, maybe it'll be "saved" for you too:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=144897&page=1#

is that a ipad game?

3DS, check out the thread!

Made by the guys that made 3D Dot Heroes (and Final Fantasy 4HoL), the director from Chrono Trigger and the illustrator from Vagrant Story.

SnakeDrake said:

Just release this game

series saved

I know the game would never get released like that, but damn, that is some lovely box art imo.

I would definitely change the battle system though. FFXIII' combat was awful, just click auto battle over and over again until you win. No strategy and no tension. I think my favorite combat system would be from 10, it was fast paced and strategic.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!