Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony stock down 8%

Really bad news for Sony, I really hope they somehow manage to overcome this

Nintendo and PC gamer

Around the Network
CChaos said:
HappySqurriel said:
CChaos said:
Faxanadu said:
So now is a god time to buy stock, right?

Just joking...

Actually, not that BAD of a time. If you've got money burning a hole in your pocket, you're not worried about the stock going down further and if you  feel that Sony's stock will eventually rebound, then it's actually a great time to buy stock in them. It's like buying penny stocks, in a sense. All the company needs is a really good product or business plan to bring them around and the stock will jump again. If they bring a product that is good enough, then the stock rebounds more.

It's always good to remember that in the mid-90s, Apple was a failing company until the iPod. Now they're the largest valued company in the world. You never really know when a potential gold mine is staring you in the face, but it always comes with risk. I imagine there are some people who are laughing as the Sony stocks plummet, not because they want to see it burn but because the lower it gets, the more they can buy and then wait to see what happens with Harai's business plan.

There are a lot of ifs there ...

I don't personally think Sony is a good investment now, and I think they may continue to decline for some time.

Oh, without a doubt, a LOT of 'ifs', but that was why I mentioned the issues with doing so. There are always those who are willing to take a bit of a risk when it comes to lowering stocks of corporations. I simply mean that at $12 a share or so, it's inside the range of an average stock gambler these days instead of being out of reach to the average individual.

I agree completely that there will likely be more bad than good until things come around, but you never know what might bring them around again.

I agree completely ...

The best investments usually are made when `everyone` believes the investment isn't good; and therefore the price is low.

For the past few years I have been trying to anticipate when a company has done what is necessary to turn itself around and, while I'm certainly not great at it, I think I'm starting to get a feel for it. I'm currently watching a couple dozen companies that are struggling and trying to decide when to invest.

As a rough way to put it, one of the main things I have noticed about companies that see major turn-arounds is there is a dramatic shift in their culture/vision that is more in-line with the strengths of the company; and this is something that I haven't seen from Sony.

Man this keeps getting worse for Sony.....I honestly thought we might see a much smaller loss this quarter but it looks like their officially hemoraging

Im officially worried about continued strong Vita support now

sales2099 said:
Sony losing money and lowering projections seems to be the norm. Whats amazing is that it doesnt affect Sony fans morale one bit.

How should our morale be?

Out of interest how are other Japanese companies generally fairing? also how is Nintendo doing at the moment? i.e. the last week?

My company's holding company is Japanese and we have just had a 10% stock drop in a week - bad times

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
CChaos said:
HappySqurriel said:
CChaos said:
Faxanadu said:
So now is a god time to buy stock, right?

Just joking...

Actually, not that BAD of a time. If you've got money burning a hole in your pocket, you're not worried about the stock going down further and if you  feel that Sony's stock will eventually rebound, then it's actually a great time to buy stock in them. It's like buying penny stocks, in a sense. All the company needs is a really good product or business plan to bring them around and the stock will jump again. If they bring a product that is good enough, then the stock rebounds more.

It's always good to remember that in the mid-90s, Apple was a failing company until the iPod. Now they're the largest valued company in the world. You never really know when a potential gold mine is staring you in the face, but it always comes with risk. I imagine there are some people who are laughing as the Sony stocks plummet, not because they want to see it burn but because the lower it gets, the more they can buy and then wait to see what happens with Harai's business plan.

There are a lot of ifs there ...

I don't personally think Sony is a good investment now, and I think they may continue to decline for some time.

Oh, without a doubt, a LOT of 'ifs', but that was why I mentioned the issues with doing so. There are always those who are willing to take a bit of a risk when it comes to lowering stocks of corporations. I simply mean that at $12 a share or so, it's inside the range of an average stock gambler these days instead of being out of reach to the average individual.

I agree completely that there will likely be more bad than good until things come around, but you never know what might bring them around again.

I agree completely ...

The best investments usually are made when `everyone` believes the investment isn't good; and therefore the price is low.

For the past few years I have been trying to anticipate when a company has done what is necessary to turn itself around and, while I'm certainly not great at it, I think I'm starting to get a feel for it. I'm currently watching a couple dozen companies that are struggling and trying to decide when to invest.

As a rough way to put it, one of the main things I have noticed about companies that see major turn-arounds is there is a dramatic shift in their culture/vision that is more in-line with the strengths of the company; and this is something that I haven't seen from Sony.

Good luck with your attempts at that! I'd love to do a little company speculation myself, but I've got precious little cash flow to work with.

I think you're right about the vision aspect though. Sony makes some good products, but it seems like they don't really understand how to make the company viable for the audience of now. The PS3 is a great machine. PS2 is still my personal favourite, but everyone has a preference. Unfortunately, they don't seem to really get that things like the Vita won't just sell themselves. As with the television division, it's like they don't really understand that they not only need to market these things, but they really need to make sure people associate Sony with 'quality, long term and fun experiences'. The downward spiral of their television division could, in a sense, be attributed to negligence. Just having the name Sony isn't going to sell things on its own anymore, not when you can get quality for cheaper. They haven't put much into it as of late. I'd hate to see them do the same thing to the Vita, driving it into the ground through an assumption that things are doing just fine.

If they can get the vision in line with the company strengths/assets, I think they should be able to pull things through.

Off topic - Nintendo is currently trading at 13.37$. It dropped like crazy this year too. Japanese electronics are suffering, big time. Though in all fairness, I see light in Nintendo as opposed to Sony. Nintendo has no debt, and has alot of cash reserves. At the moment, it is trading only for what they have on their balance sheet; thus, giving the company name and IP's no value, which is absurd come to think of it. I recently opened a position on Nintendo for 200 shares at @ 13.50$, yes I know, I spent 2700$ on stock. If there is a time to invest, it is now in Nintendo, not Sony. I see a better catalyst for Nintendo than Sony as their 3DS XL is now sold at a profit, and 3DS no longer sold below manufacturing costs. And Wii U coming this year, should be big. Let's hope my investment is well paid off! What do you guys think? Am I crazy lol

Noel_Kreiss said:
Off topic - Nintendo is currently trading at 13.37$. It dropped like crazy this year too. Japanese electronics are suffering, big time. Though in all fairness, I see light in Nintendo as opposed to Sony. Nintendo has no debt, and has alot of cash reserves. At the moment, it is trading only for what they have on their balance sheet; thus, giving the company name and IP's no value, which is absurd come to think of it. I recently opened a position on Nintendo for 200 shares at @ 13.50$, yes I know, I spent 2700$ on stock. If there is a time to invest, it is now in Nintendo, not Sony. I see a better catalyst for Nintendo than Sony as their 3DS XL is now sold at a profit, and 3DS no longer sold below manufacturing costs. And Wii U coming this year, should be big. Let's hope my investment is well paid off! What do you guys think? Am I crazy lol

I would definately say crazy!

Would of waited for Wii u launch week to see interest and then drop it down to funky town :P

especially as at the moment alot of Japanese companies will have stock in each other so as more and more bad news comes the lower the stock prices will fall - the yen just needs to weaken for any Japanese company to start growing again

Defo hope it turns a nice profit for you though! - how long you intending to keep the stock for?

kowenicki said:
Exile1987 said:
Out of interest how are other Japanese companies generally fairing? also how is Nintendo doing at the moment? i.e. the last week?

My company's holding company is Japanese and we have just had a 10% stock drop in a week - bad times

thats a comparison of Sony, the Nikkei index, Hitachi, Panasonic and Sharp.

Sony and Sharp are notably worse.

Thank you =)

Tried using the same site as graph was made but couldn't figure it out - and if I had the right companies

Jay520 said:
sales2099 said:
Sony losing money and lowering projections seems to be the norm. Whats amazing is that it doesnt affect Sony fans morale one bit.

How should our morale be?

A bit more humble, if you ask me.  Sony is slowly dying and PS3/Vita lovers (the more vocal ones) still talk about how great Sony is doing.  "Sony is dominating in sales", "Wii U isn't even as good as a PS3", "Xbox has no games", "3DS sales are weak", "Nintendo lost money this quarter", "Microsoft had to write of 6.2 billion dollars" etc.  Yeah, I'm generalising based on the behavior of a few.  If it were my company/console of choice, I wouldn't be so quick to throw fire at the competition.  I'm sure Sony would rather be Nintendo or Microsoft right now.