By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Mathematical dispute

Vertigo-X said:
mai said:
Ssenkahdavic said:
48 ÷2(3+9) = 2

48 ÷2 * (3+9) = 288

Since the equation in question is written as the top example, that is the answer.

I believe the whole deal was the order of the operations, which is left to right unless put in parentheses. If it's  48/2(3+9)  then it's equals 2. "/" meaning "48" is numerator and "2(3+9)" is denominator, of course. Basically it's a test of your attention.

It's 288 in both of your cases. You failed :D

/ is the same thing as ÷.

I really just need to stop posting from my phone.  Never comes out the way I wanted it too.  My TI 89 agrees with all the above.  I was mostly going for that I can see how it can be easily confused, thus writing the equation in the alternative forms above would make sure sense.

Around the Network

here's the link for pemdas.. if it is div and multi or add and sub..... it would be left to right...
http://www.mathsisfun.com/operation-order-pemdas.html

I agree that the answer is 288, but the wanted answer is 2. Otherwise, they would have put a multiplication symbol in...

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Conegamer said:
I agree that the answer is 288, but the wanted answer is 2. Otherwise, they would have put a multiplication symbol in...

this sums it up.

no more argument! LOL

http://www.mathway.com/answer.aspx?p=basi?p=48SMB102%283+9%29?p=2?p=?p=?p=?p=?p=0?p=?p=0?p=?p=?p=Simplify

Around the Network

It's 288, but of course you can define alternative notation and declare it to be another answer if you want. This problem is nowhere near a dispute in academic mathematics.

I believe the answer is 2. My math teacher once told me that an X(Y) bond is of a higher priority than an X*Y. I believe he said that on the PEMDAS, X(Y) is somewhere between parentheses and multiplication. He wasn't the smartest Mathemagician, but I thought that this made sense.

If you use the distrubutive property, the answer is two. And I don't think properties will disturb the solution, right?

48 / 2(3 + 9)
48 / (6 +18) - You could distribute the 2 here.
48 / 24

I think it makes sense. You can't just break the bond between the 2 and the ( ). I've never seen the bond broken like that before. But im not sure, it might be 288. Either way, its a poorly formed equation.

Conegamer said:

The simple and only reason why there's no multiplication symbol is to lighten the equation. There's no mathematical meaning behind it...

If there's nothing then it should be assumed that it means a simple multiplication and not one that has priority over multiplication/division symbol.

Jay520 said:
I believe the answer is 2. My math teacher once told me that an X(Y) bond is of a higher priority than an X*Y. I believe he said that on the PEMDAS, X(Y) is somewhere between parentheses and multiplication. He wasn't the smartest Mathemagician, but I thought that this made sense.

If you use the distrubutive property, the answer is two. And I don't think properties will disturb the solution, right?

48 / 2(3 + 9)
48 / 24

I think it makes sense. You can't just break the bond between the 2 and the ( ). I've never seen the bond broken like that before. But im not sure, it might be 288. Either way, its a poorly formed equation.

Look at my post above.

Boutros said:
Jay520 said:

48 / 2(3 + 9)
48 / 24

Look at my post above.

But you can implement properties anytime without disturbing the solution, right?