By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - The Olympics: angle, politics.

Wouldn't the olympics be good for London's economy? Or does the price of the olympics not offset the revenue?

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

Around the Network
homer said:
Wouldn't the olympics be good for London's economy? Or does the price of the olympics not offset the revenue?

Dunno, it's not important.

Here, let me take half your income (probably more, when all is said and done) and spend it on things that makes "society" a little richer. Don't want to? Well, you have a choice: either you let me take it; or I take it with a gun; or I throw you in a cell, sell yours goods, and then take it.

Even if there was some semblance or morality about this, it's a massive toss up. Lots of events like these fail to ever generate a profit.

justinian said:
I just don't grasp some of your points.

Yeah, it's all commercial and full of pomp and ceremony but that's how the world works.

Your Point 1: In the ancient games Sparta, Anthens, Argos and other Greek states took pride in the winners coming from their state. No different than countries being proud of their own doing well at the games now.
It stands to reason that among peoples constantly at war that the ancient greeks tallied up the winners and had bragging rights over states that had less winners.
Individuals gain rewards for their efforts. In the old days it was fame, now it's fame and a good living.
In truth I don't think this side of things have changed that much so if you have an issue blame the Greeks for that.

Your Points 3, 4 & 5: Why so hasty? Let time answer these questions. Wait until the figures are processed before your slam the olympics in London.

If the games make a significant financial lost and fail to change the standard of living in the east end then you have every right to moan, not that moaning now or then will make any difference but at least if you wait for the results you may have more weapons to defend your cause.

If the results prove positive then what?

I'm not going to blame Greeks, I'm going to blame statists. No matter how long ago they were around.

3, 4, and 5 have already happened. I couldn't care less if the events made a profit, those things in those points are about liberty, and there's zero price that's acceptable in exchange for those (particularly when there was absolutely nothing voluntary about these exchanges, our overlords always told us that these were the exchanges to happen, and we either like it, or we're not a patriot).

kitler53 said:

when salt lake city hosted the winter olympics they did so underbudget and made a profit.  sounds like this isn't a problem of the olypics but your problem. (1)

..but remember this too.  there are other less tangitable benefits to hosting the olympics than just looking at the budget.  the whole world is looking at you for weeks.  things like this drive tourism which i'd wager is a milti billion dollar industry for you.  my top google serach said this:

The total value of tourism to the UK is set to rise by more than 60% to £188 billion (1) over the next decade, says an independent report commissioned by VisitBritain. (2)

marketing is an investment in your future.  no different for countries than for products (like 3rd party wii games am i right?) (3)

1) It's right up there in the OP: "'Im going to just bullet point some of my views, which range from the Olympics in general, to the specifics of the London Olympics."

2) I don't care about the tourism industry. If the tourism industry wants to invest their own money in improving the tourism industry, let them. Don't take mine.

Also, I'd hardly call an institution that is set to benefit from the Olympics, without having to pay for it, "independent". That's like asking the MPAA to estimate the costs of piracy.

3) It's not an investment in mine, and I don't want anybody else to invest in my future. Let me do that, and you do yours. (Not directed at you, but society in general) Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person, nowadays, who was brought up to accept personal responsibility for my own life.

But, there is a massive difference between countries and products. When Ubisoft spends money marketing their third party Wii games, they spend their own money, money that they've earned - not my money. When the god-knows-how-many-agencies-involved-in-the-Olympics spends money, they haven't earned it, they've taken it, from those that have, without their permission, and, sometimes, without their knowledge.

homer said:

Actually i've seen economic studies that tend to show that's NOT the case.

There was a big push to NOT pursue the World Cup in the US because it was shown that the amount spent usually isn't made back, and then your left with a bunch of stadiums that are never full to capacity or ideal for the things that get put in them.

Well here's a tiny article on it... from the Atlantic... who granted aren't the best when it comes to economics, but i'll look for more sources later.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2012/07/3-reasons-why-hosting-the-olympics-is-a-losers-game/260111/

Around the Network

1. A bit of pride in your country is nothing bad (too much pride is where the problem goes). It's harder to envision from a first world country perspective, but imagine even second-tier countries like Kazakhstan and the winner of that one biking event. A country of meagre means, and you've got someone who can out-bike the best that money can buy, and that's something

2. I'll agree it's getting a bit overblown, but there's the matter of pride again. Just like when you host a house party, you want your home looking good, or perhaps a bit better, than it usually looks.

3. Describe these crackdowns?

4. Again, it's about saving face. It is sad but true that the government will care less about expending a lot of blood and treasure to stop a few riots that relatively few people outside the country really care about, but you sure as hell don't want to be 1972 West Germany, where you clearly don't do enough and then one country's olympic team gets targeted. Terroristic events at the olympics are a point of national embarrassment.

5. You used the buzz-word "wealth creators" and therefore this entire point is automatically invalid.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
1. A bit of pride in your country is nothing bad (too much pride is where the problem goes). It's harder to envision from a first world country perspective, but imagine even second-tier countries like Kazakhstan and the winner of that one biking event. A country of meagre means, and you've got someone who can out-bike the best that money can buy, and that's something

2. I'll agree it's getting a bit overblown, but there's the matter of pride again. Just like when you host a house party, you want your home looking good, or perhaps a bit better, than it usually looks.

If anything, that's an admission that they're not good at their job the rest of the time. Our house looks clean, year round

3. Describe these crackdowns?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/9385271/Police-may-be-arresting-marginal-terror-suspects-to-clear-decks-for-Olympics-says-watchdog.html 

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/britain-deploys-1200-troops-olympics-16842668#.UBVipLRDySo 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/11/london-rooftop-missiles-olympics_n_1664653.html 

4. Again, it's about saving face. It is sad but true that the government will care less about expending a lot of blood and treasure to stop a few riots that relatively few people outside the country really care about, but you sure as hell don't want to be 1972 West Germany, where you clearly don't do enough and then one country's olympic team gets targeted. Terroristic events at the olympics are a point of national embarrassment.

5. You used the buzz-word "wealth creators" and therefore this entire point is automatically invalid.

Didn't actually use that term. But, there's nothing wrong with it, if I did.

SamuelRSmith said:
justinian said:
I just don't grasp some of your points.

Yeah, it's all commercial and full of pomp and ceremony but that's how the world works.

Your Point 1: In the ancient games Sparta, Anthens, Argos and other Greek states took pride in the winners coming from their state. No different than countries being proud of their own doing well at the games now.
It stands to reason that among peoples constantly at war that the ancient greeks tallied up the winners and had bragging rights over states that had less winners.
Individuals gain rewards for their efforts. In the old days it was fame, now it's fame and a good living.
In truth I don't think this side of things have changed that much so if you have an issue blame the Greeks for that.

Your Points 3, 4 & 5: Why so hasty? Let time answer these questions. Wait until the figures are processed before your slam the olympics in London.

If the games make a significant financial lost and fail to change the standard of living in the east end then you have every right to moan, not that moaning now or then will make any difference but at least if you wait for the results you may have more weapons to defend your cause.

If the results prove positive then what?

I'm not going to blame Greeks, I'm going to blame statists. No matter how long ago they were around.

3, 4, and 5 have already happened. I couldn't care less if the events made a profit, those things in those points are about liberty, and there's zero price that's acceptable in exchange for those (particularly when there was absolutely nothing voluntary about these exchanges, our overlords always told us that these were the exchanges to happen, and we either like it, or we're not a patriot).

OK. Surely there are far more important issues in the UK than the games if you claim to base this argument on liberty.

I am far more concerned about the UK becoming more like a soviet state than the olmpics where liberty is concerned.

Even that liberty woman (with the unpronouncable name) carried the flag at the opening. You should have a word with her.

I see but don't agree with your point so I'll kill my argument and leave it at that.

Kasz216 said:
homer said:

There was a big push to NOT pursue the World Cup in the US because it was shown that the amount spent usually isn't made back, and then your left with a bunch of stadiums that are never full to capacity or ideal for the things that get put in them.

Well here's a tiny article on it... from the Atlantic... who granted aren't the best when it comes to economics, but i'll look for more sources later.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2012/07/3-reasons-why-hosting-the-olympics-is-a-losers-game/260111/

The world cup and the olympics are totally different but I can't be bothered to go into that.

Sydney had an estimated economic benefit of 2.78% of regional GDP. And Chinese officials claim to have profited in $146 million.

I would hope London follow the Sydney trend rather than some doom and gloom outlook.

justinian said:
Kasz216 said:
homer said:

The world cup and the olympics are totally different but I can't be bothered to go into that.

Sydney had an estimated economic benefit of 2.78% of regional GDP. And Chinese officials claim to have profited in $146 million.

I would hope London follow the Sydney trend rather than some doom and gloom outlook.

That article was about how the Olympics costs people money.

Syndey had an estimated economic benefit of 2.78%... before the games happened. 

What does after the fact analysis say though?

http://theconversation.edu.au/hosting-the-olympics-cash-cow-or-money-pit-7403

"Our results revealed that rather than producing an economic benefit the Sydney Games actually reduced Australian household consumption by $2.1 billion."

Keep in mind as well the Sydney Olympics ran 6.6 Billion dollars.