By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - OFFICIAL FINAL FANTASY XIV THREAD [Return to Ivalice]

Tagged games:

Ivalice is in FFXIV!?

WTF!? 0 0%

Holyshit! 4 80.00%

Cool 0 0%

Meh. 0 0%

See results 1 20.00%

Total:5
DBZfan2027 said:
FlamingWeazel said:
DBZfan2027 said:
FlamingWeazel said:
DBZfan2027 said:
FlamingWeazel said:
DBZfan2027 said:

Takes more then a battle system to make a great game........................... Nothing to do with fashionable it was terrible. I could care less what's fashionable.

You're right, and FF13 offers more than that. The game doesn't have a metacritic of 83 because SE paid all those reviewers off. Critics review the game objectively based on all aspects, including story, gameplay, etc.

The game was garbage. first 15 hours was like a boring on rails tutorial. horrendous.

FFX was also very on rails for a good portion of the game, why does everyone give it a pass? I see people say they play RPGs for story all the time, so why is being linear a problem here? They probably saw it as a good design choice because there's a good chunk of gamers out there who don't finish their games. It's easy for the casual gamer to get sidetracked from exploring an area and never find out where their objective was. Obviously, fans were outraged by this and Square Enix changed that aspect in 13-2. Whatever, this is going off-topic now. Let's talk about 14 again. Now THIS game I often consider garbage by MMO standards -- at least the ones SE set with FF11. Fun game, but not perfect.

You know I don't really like FFX, but my guess for the reason it pass is because of its overall Final Fantasy experience. Now when SE decide to hold your hand through almost half the game in FFXIII, then yes its pretty damn Terrible, with a capital T and bold.

About FFXIV, You think its garbage because you can't get what you want, and because its not like FFXI.

This is all the feedback I'm getting from you. You want old mechanics from a 10yr old game. NM camping, and a claim system.

Well, I'm sure you'll get what you want sometime in the future. FFXI didn't had all that in its first 3-4 months. I know because I played it for 8 years.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Around the Network
deskpro2k3 said:
DBZfan2027 said:
FlamingWeazel said:
DBZfan2027 said:
FlamingWeazel said:
DBZfan2027 said:
FlamingWeazel said:
DBZfan2027 said:

Takes more then a battle system to make a great game........................... Nothing to do with fashionable it was terrible. I could care less what's fashionable.

You're right, and FF13 offers more than that. The game doesn't have a metacritic of 83 because SE paid all those reviewers off. Critics review the game objectively based on all aspects, including story, gameplay, etc.

The game was garbage. first 15 hours was like a boring on rails tutorial. horrendous.

FFX was also very on rails for a good portion of the game, why does everyone give it a pass? I see people say they play RPGs for story all the time, so why is being linear a problem here? They probably saw it as a good design choice because there's a good chunk of gamers out there who don't finish their games. It's easy for the casual gamer to get sidetracked from exploring an area and never find out where their objective was. Obviously, fans were outraged by this and Square Enix changed that aspect in 13-2. Whatever, this is going off-topic now. Let's talk about 14 again. Now THIS game I often consider garbage by MMO standards -- at least the ones SE set with FF11. Fun game, but not perfect.

You know I don't really like FFX, but my guess for the reason it pass is because of its overall Final Fantasy experience. Now when SE decide to hold your hand through almost half the game in FFXIII, then yes its pretty damn Terrible, with a capital T and bold.

About FFXIV, You think its garbage because you can't get what you want, and because its not like FFXI.

This is all the feedback I'm getting from you. You want old mechanics from a 10yr old game. NM camping, and a claim system.

Well, I'm sure you'll get what you want sometime in the future. FFXI didn't had all that in its first 3-4 months. I know because I played it for 8 years.

The thing is, FF14 is NOT a traditional FF experience AT ALL. I like the game to an extent; it has potential to be better so long as the directors listen to more people like myself. Also, I would like to see some consitency with people's opinions here. That's why I bring up FFX, which did a LOT of hand holding. But, bro, FF14 is probably a much bigger offender of hand holding than any other FF. Back in FF11, quests weren't marked with huge exclamation points in your face, and they didn't exclude things like gear swapping for better results. In FF14, they give you a super boring, SUPER LINEAR gear progression that does nothing at all to improve the gameplay. Then, they removed exploration altogether, so how in the world is this like traditional FF? At least when I see a dungeon in the distance in Lightning Returns, I'll be able to go to it. FF14 has everything so streamlined and battles so static and monotonous that I do not see how this is anything like old FF games. What's more, I don't even believe the story is a redeemable quality for 14. The consensus among players that I've talked to in the game all said it was utter crap. Might be a good thing I skipped it all, then.

DBZfan2027 said:
deskpro2k3 said:
DBZfan2027 said:
FlamingWeazel said:
DBZfan2027 said:
FlamingWeazel said:
DBZfan2027 said:
FlamingWeazel said:
DBZfan2027 said:

The thing is, FF14 is NOT a traditional FF experience AT ALL. I like the game to an extent; it has potential to be better so long as the directors listen to more people like myself. Also, I would like to see some consitency with people's opinions here. That's why I bring up FFX, which did a LOT of hand holding. But, bro, FF14 is probably a much bigger offender of hand holding than any other FF. Back in FF11, quests weren't marked with huge exclamation points in your face, and they didn't exclude things like gear swapping for better results. In FF14, they give you a super boring, SUPER LINEAR gear progression that does nothing at all to improve the gameplay. Then, they removed exploration altogether, so how in the world is this like traditional FF? At least when I see a dungeon in the distance in Lightning Returns, I'll be able to go to it. FF14 has everything so streamlined and battles so static and monotonous that I do not see how this is anything like old FF games. What's more, I don't even believe the story is a redeemable quality for 14. The consensus among players that I've talked to in the game all said it was utter crap. Might be a good thing I skipped it all, then.

I don't think you understand what a Final Fantasy experience is. FFXIV is an MMO, but before that it is also an RPG, but before even that, it is Final Fantasy. There is certain MMO standerds in this day in age that developers follow to meet the demand, and there is certain elements that make Final Fantasy what it is.

Back in FFXIV 1.0 that game was all what you're describing to us as your ideal MMO right now, and boy did that game fail. It failed so hard that a mistake like that again would probably force SE to pull the plug on it forever.

Now, you're still bringing up old machinics from FF11. There is hardly any incentives in doing quest in FFXI, so no point in doing it. All you do is exp grind, story missions, and endgame for years. You can still go and play that game. Gear swap and blink in the middle of combat all you want.

Finally, you're mistaking accessibility to being hand holding. They're not the same. Perhaps you were unaware of this, but you can still go travel to dungeons on foot or by mounts in FFXIV, they didn't take that away. However, you choose to use Duty Finder, SE is not forcing you to.

One more thing. You seem resolved and dead set on your opinion. Like I said its been noted. However I think the majority agrees with me.

deskpro2k3 said:
DBZfan2027 said:
deskpro2k3 said:
DBZfan2027 said:
FlamingWeazel said:
DBZfan2027 said:
FlamingWeazel said:
DBZfan2027 said:
FlamingWeazel said:
DBZfan2027 said:

I don't think you understand what a Final Fantasy experience is. FFXIV is an MMO, but before that it is also an RPG, but before even that, it is Final Fantasy. There is certain MMO standerds in this day in age that developers follow to meet the demand, and there is certain elements that make Final Fantasy what it is.

Back in FFXIV 1.0 that game was all what you're describing to us as your ideal MMO right now, and boy did that game fail. It failed so hard that a mistake like that again would probably force SE to pull the plug on it forever.

Now, you're still bringing up old machinics from FF11. There is hardly any incentives in doing quest in FFXI, so no point in doing it. All you do is exp grind, story missions, and endgame for years. You can still go and play that game. Gear swap and blink in the middle of combat all you want.

Finally, you're mistaking accessibility to being hand holding. They're not the same. Perhaps you were unaware of this, but you can still go travel to dungeons on foot or by mounts in FFXIV, they didn't take that away. However, you choose to use Duty Finder, SE is not forcing you to.

One more thing. You seem resolved and dead set on your opinion. Like I said its been noted. However I think the majority agrees with me.

There were plenty of other factors to that game's failure. Personally, I think it has a lot more to do with the fact that it was PC only and it required some amazing specs to even run it. I don't even like some of what was in 1.0 from what I heard. There were too many limits on what you could do and the NM hunting was still not the same thing. People could do the free-for-all nonsense on NMs in 1.0, which is very stupid. I would prefer if things like the relic quests required more grinding and were more rewarding than a simple non-game-changing weapon upgrade.

Now, you say FF11 didn't give you incentive to do quests and that's not entirely true. I knew plenty of people who I played with that would hold up parties to watch and read all the cutscenes. Furthermore, for people like myself, doing the story missions meant end game rewards, like gaining access to a whole new area that was actually fun to explore. There was incentive to explore these places, too, and I could do so by myself, or with a small group. How in the world is traveling on a mount to a dungeon the same thing? I can't believe you're trying to make this argument... That makes no sense to go all the way to a dungeon and be halted because I have to join a stupid queue and make a party. Why would anyone do that when they can just use duty finder? HUuuuuuuuuuuuuh? I'm seriously confused here. You're missing the point of what a dungeon actually was, and what they've reduced them to. In other games -- not just FF11 -- you can go inside by yourself and see what possible rewards await you. They've taken that away completely. This is not accessibility; this is hand holding, keeping the casual gamer away from the potential frustration of dying and quitting the game. Then, giving you the ideal setup to even tackle the dungeon without dying. More hand holding here, bro.

And your last sentence is a classic example of an appeal to popularity fallacy. Saying my opinion is worthless because many others disagree with it. My real point is that the game can use more incentive to explore, have a better end game, and add some depth to combat through gear. These are additions to the game. I'm not asking they take anything away that the majority likes about it. But let's ignore that because I don't like the game as much as you.

P.S. The gear switching thing causing a blink is only because of PS2 limitations, and is not present on PC when you use windower. When you swap gear in FF14, you don't have to load like in 11, so there's still hope of bringing this feature back. The great thing about it is that the casuals don't have to utitlize this feature, and 14 is easy enough that they can still complete things without ever using it. At the same time, players like me get to have more out of our experience. Everybody wins.

DBZfan2027 said:
deskpro2k3 said:
DBZfan2027 said:
deskpro2k3 said:
DBZfan2027 said:
FlamingWeazel said:
DBZfan2027 said:
FlamingWeazel said:
DBZfan2027 said:
FlamingWeazel said:
DBZfan2027 said:

There were plenty of other factors to that game's failure. Personally, I think it has a lot more to do with the fact that it was PC only and it required some amazing specs to even run it. I don't even like some of what was in 1.0 from what I heard. There were too many limits on what you could do and the NM hunting was still not the same thing. People could do the free-for-all nonsense on NMs in 1.0, which is very stupid. I would prefer if things like the relic quests required more grinding and were more rewarding than a simple non-game-changing weapon upgrade.

Now, you say FF11 didn't give you incentive to do quests and that's not entirely true. I knew plenty of people who I played with that would hold up parties to watch and read all the cutscenes. Furthermore, for people like myself, doing the story missions meant end game rewards, like gaining access to a whole new area that was actually fun to explore. There was incentive to explore these places, too, and I could do so by myself, or with a small group. How in the world is traveling on a mount to a dungeon the same thing? I can't believe you're trying to make this argument... That makes no sense to go all the way to a dungeon and be halted because I have to join a stupid queue and make a party. Why would anyone do that when they can just use duty finder? HUuuuuuuuuuuuuh? I'm seriously confused here. You're missing the point of what a dungeon actually was, and what they've reduced them to. In other games -- not just FF11 -- you can go inside by yourself and see what possible rewards await you. They've taken that away completely. This is not accessibility; this is hand holding, keeping the casual gamer away from the potential frustration of dying and quitting the game. Then, giving you the ideal setup to even tackle the dungeon without dying. More hand holding here, bro.

And your last sentence is a classic example of an appeal to popularity fallacy. Saying my opinion is worthless because many others disagree with it. My real point is that the game can use more incentive to explore, have a better end game, and add some depth to combat through gear. These are additions to the game. I'm not asking they take anything away that the majority likes about it. But let's ignore that because I don't like the game as much as you.

P.S. The gear switching thing causing a blink is only because of PS2 limitations, and is not present on PC when you use windower. When you swap gear in FF14, you don't have to load like in 11, so there's still hope of bringing this feature back. The great thing about it is that the casuals don't have to utitlize this feature, and 14 is easy enough that they can still complete things without ever using it. At the same time, players like me get to have more out of our experience. Everybody wins.

The dungeons are designed for party play exploration, not solo play. Do you have any idea how crowded and unplayable a dungeon would be without it being instanced? Every Dungeon serves a purpose and has objectives to be completed. Think about it like Dynamis, its instanced for a reason.

You said there is no exploration in FFXIV, let me give you some examples, there is FATEs everywhere, quest in every town, Beastmen dailies. Who knows what else we'll get in the next big patch? Leviathan.. Oops spoilers..you probably leveled everything in 1.0 so you don't have to explore and do questing like a new player would.

Now don't put words in my mouth. I never said your opinion is worthless. You have to understand, the game is not even fully 4 months old yet. The things you can do will increase over time.

Gear swap is not coming. Ever. A rep reply from the 2.0 beta forum.

Around the Network
Kyuu said:

Look at that Mustache-Boss-Moogle go haha! That cracked me up.

Yep! Its a funny boss fight cause of its battle theme. the moogles sings lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFS6tm8zdxU

This is why I love Ul'dah. Bonjour ladies.

reserved

Hi everyone, its me again with some new Final Fantasy XIV info!

Below is a gallery of screencaps showing Patch 2.2 content included in the broadcast that aired this morning.

Leviathan hard mode is required to progress the main story, so players should be able to beat it after three tries.

Leviathan will be fought on a giant square fist where apparently you can fish. Yoshida-san joked on the fact that eight players can fish up leviathan “what is this, Monster Hunter?”

Sorry about the blurry images, they're the best I can find!

PS4 Version of Final Fantasy XIV Will Officially Be Coming on April 14th; Box Art Revealed.

Other stuff coming in 2.2!

An overview of Leviathan.

(This is not ingame music)