By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Q1 - $221m loss on of revenue $1.08bn. Shipments: 1.86m 3DS, 710k Wii, 540k DS

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/sns-rt-us-nintendo-earningsbre86o0b4-20120725,0,1070446.story

Losses weren't as bad as analysts estimated, so its a win.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network

Not sure if there is a better way of doing this but...
Global totals week ending march 03 12
3DS 15.3m
Wii 94.9m
DS 150.9m
Global total week ending Jun 30 12
3DS 18.0m
Wii 96.0m
DS 151.6m
Differences
3DS 2.7m
Wii 1.1m
DS 0.7m

So undershipping or overtracking? When does Nintendo release europe and its other numbers?

So they held their forecasts (for money, and shipments) the same. I reckon the plan is something like this -

June Quarter           Sept Quarter          December Quarter           March Quarter

Wii  HW**       0.71m                     1.0m*                           3.4m                                   0.9m

Wii U HW**                                                                            3.3m                                   1.2m

DS                     0.54m                     0.46m                           1.2m                                    0.3m

3DS                   1.86m                    3.54m***                     11.0m                                 2.1m

* Price cut ahead of Just Dance 4/ Skylanders

** Combined forecast of 10.5m

*** NSMB 3DS & 3DS XL

The September quarter should actually be fairly strong. DQX is going to push HW and some older software by extension in Japan, and be the biggest game Wii has had in Japan in ages (although it will still only do 500k or so for the quarter). Just Dance Wii 2 & Kirby will each doing around 200k - 300k in the quarter too and push hw a bit. I figure a Wii price cut is also due for the West ahead of the last wave of major Western software (Skylanders & Just Dance 4) which should again help hw / sw a bit. 3DS is already selling very well in Japan (920,000 just in Japan in Apr-June 2012, vs. 710,000 Wiis globally and 1.1m X360s globally), but should start doing close to 100,000 per week per Western market now too, with NSMB and the new model.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

megaman79 said:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/sns-rt-us-nintendo-earningsbre86o0b4-20120725,0,1070446.story

Losses weren't as bad as analysts estimated, so its a win.

That makes sense, I was expecting 3DS and Wii to be about 200,000 lower for HW each and SW to be around 2m lower for each.

It is worth noting that 3DS still barely outsells Wii in the West (900k vs. 650k in the past quarter) which is somewhat troubling given it has had a more recent price and a more recent infusion of major games. It's still similar to the pattern in Q4 2011, when 3DS / Wii split at like  3m / 5.4m  and  0.6m / 5.1m or whatever it was between Japan / the West.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Sounds like Nintendo already is making a lose per 3DS unit sold in the negative number.

Around the Network

So, are we supposed to go Doom or not? I'm confused

3DS is really struggling in the West. If the XL/ Mario combo doesnt do much, then what can we expect?

Why are some people surprised. What did they expect, a Wii and DS comeback?

3DS no longer being sold at a loss, as of today

Nintendo has just confirmed it is no longer selling 3DS hardware at a loss. The change comes as of today, 25th July. The news was announced in addition to the company's latest financial report, detailed below.

While selling at a loss is not unusual for hardware manufacturers, it was a rare move by Nintendo. The company was forced to slash the price of the 3DS last summer in a bid to boost sales.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-07-25-nintendo-3ds-profitability-improving-despite-overall-losses

Read my original story on Fictionpress (Shinigami Twin): http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2996503/1/Shinigami-Twin 

As well as my other one (Hell's Punishment): http://www.fictionpress.com/s/3085054/1/Hell-s-Punishment

Nintendo Network ID: kingofe3

Farsala said:
Not sure if there is a better way of doing this but...
Global totals week ending march 03 12
3DS 15.3m
Wii 94.9m
DS 150.9m
Global total week ending Jun 30 12
3DS 18.0m
Wii 96.0m
DS 151.6m
Differences
3DS 2.7m
Wii 1.1m
DS 0.7m

So undershipping or overtracking? When does Nintendo release europe and its other numbers?

How does undershipping work? Seriously, I don't know.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.