By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Ratchet & Clank: QForce - "A League of Legends For The PlayStation 3, But With Guns and a Lombax"

The next Ratchet & Clank game may be the first important Ratchet & Clank game in many years.

The new RatchetFull-Frontal Assault, is a modified MOBA or DOTA, and if you don't know what that means then you may be unaware of one of the hottest genres of video games in the world. Two of the most legendary game studios around, Valve and Blizzard, are making MOBAs. One of the most successful games on the planet, League of Legends, is a MOBA. Yet on game consoles the genre is nearly non-existent. Microsoft's box at least had the shooter-MOBA Monday Night Combat. The PS3? It's gettingRatchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault.

MOBA games are contests of symmetrical combat waged across a hotly-contested battlefield. Each player or team of players tries to destroy the other side's base by using hero characters to generate and marshall waves of computer-controlled drones. The drones march forth and do most of the fighting. Players are shepherds to the assault. A complex MOBA offers the player a wide array of characters, powers and minions from which to choose. The essence of the play is the contest of strategies, the use of teamwork to simultaneously attack and defend in battles. Matches are so hotly contested that they are becoming the attraction in pro-gaming tournaments that have seven-figure payouts.

The new Ratchet, which will be downloadable to PS3 and PS Vita this fall, is similar to all of this, but different. The game is in public beta now, so fans and some reporters (including me) have been able to check it out. It supports 1v1 or 2v2 and is, at start, as confusing as a first session with League of Legends. Players choose a hero from the Ratchet pantheon and commit to a side. They play against others, at least in the beta, which does not support solo play.

Matches consist of rounds that contain three phases. The first, Recon, encourages players to explore the battlefield. Here, the Ratchet series' tradition of acrobatic platforming provides a twist. The weapons a player's hero can wield are scattered across the map, as are boxes full of money (bolts), but the best weapons and biggest money stashes are tucked into the crannies of the map that are the trickiest to reach. During this Recon phase, players can hunt this stuff down and also attack and capture several nodes on the map. Captured nodes will dole out money, over time and will turn aliens that wander near those nodes into friendly fighters.

In a round's second phase, Squad, players can and should build some defenses around any nodes they've captured and then teleport back to their home base. At the base they can spend money on defensive turrets and barriers that may repel an invading force. They may also buy an array of colorful minions who will march toward the enemy base in tr next round.

In the third phase, Assault, players are allowed to begin their mutual sieges. The first side whose base is destroyed loses, but this phase can expire before then, cycling the match to a new round of Recon.

All of this plays out in the context of some traditional Ratchet & Clank action. Unlike traditional MOBAs, this game is played at ground level, not overhead. It still feels like a third-person shooter because the player's hero can still run around, shoot enemies and, as is series tradition, level up their guns, through use, into more ridiculously destructive super-guns. Upgrades aren't persistent, and each match starts from scratch. That said, as matches progress, the level of firepower on display becomes extraordinary. Eventually players are sending massive tanks and robots into each other's bases.

When Ratchet's creators at Insomniac first showed the new game, they identified it as a shooter with a mix of tower defense. That undersells the potential here. The new Ratchet has the chance to be as deeply engaging and as complex in strategy as its MOBA predecessors. If it is not balanced right, it will be a bust. But if Insomniac can get the flow and the math of this game's combat refined—and presumably that's what a beta can do—then this could well be the PlayStation's League of Legends...except for the fact that you'll have to pay for it.

This fall, a lot of people will be paying attention to heavyweight games such as Assassin's Creed IIIBlack Ops II and Super Mario Bros. U, but could this little downloadable Ratchet game be just as big a deal? If the swell of popularity for MOBAs is any indication, it at least qualifies as being an important game to watch. It will be available for download to PS3 and Vita later this fall.

http://kotaku.com/5943853/a-league-of-legends-for-the-playstation-3-but-with-guns-and-a-lombax

Around the Network

Original post:

Ratchet & Clank: QForce – New Details Revealed

Countries: AEAUGBIENZ

Hey everyone,

Our team of veteran Insomniacs in North Carolina has been hard at work developing Ratchet & Clank: QForce, and today I’m happy to share new details surrounding Ratchet & Clank‘s latest adventure.

Ratchet & Clank: QForce heads back to the classic camera, weapons and third-person Ratchet gameplay that the series has been known for while adding in a brand new tower defense element that’ll have you building and defending a base against invasions using your ultimate Ratchet & Clank arsenal. This new twist, added to the classic Ratchet gameplay, brings a whole new level of strategy and decision-making to QForce. You’ll want to make sure your hoverboots are laced up and ready as you race to defeat your enemy while keeping your base secure. Wait… hoverboots don’t have laces…

In Ratchet & Clank: QForce, our heroes face a new nemesis – one who has a nasty surprise planned for Captain Qwark. You’ll be able to choose between playing as Ratchet, Clank and Captain Qwark and then confront an alien army across five levels set on three different planets. The game allows you and a friend to play together with either split-screen or online cooperative gameplay.

In addition, QForce will offer a ton of replay value, including an online mode we’ll reveal later, as well as loads of upgrades, extra character skins and unlockable content. We wanted to share the first screenshots of the game with you here.

Everyone here is very excited to bring Ratchet & Clank: QForce to you this autumn. In the meantime, if you want to refresh your memory on how it all started, check out the Ratchet and Clank Trilogy that justreleased this June.

That’s all for now. There’ll be much more to come from Ratchet & Clank this summer and autumn as we celebrate Ratchet’s 10th Anniversary! As always, for the latest news, be sure to like Insomniac Games onFacebook, or follow us on Twitter.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2012/07/18/ratchet-clank-q-force-new-details-revealed/

I like it. And for some reasons i like the new engine more than the old.

I think I've had enough R&C games this generation ...

i like they they are trying to mix things up a bit. if done right this could be pretty good.

Around the Network

A bit more info about the game from Kotaku, so disregard as you wish:

"Yesterday's news that the next Ratchet & Clank involves tower defense elicited at least one groan from a reader who recalled what a wretched addition tower defense was to last year's Assassin's Creed. Tower defense games may be popular—who doesn't love setting up rows of towers to kill marching enemies?—but some series just don't need it.

Maybe Ratchet & Clank doesn't need tower defense. But what I saw of Full Frontal Assault yesterday suggests it could work.

The downloadable Full Frontal Assault is separated into levels (only five, which admittedly seems like a low number). Each level is a battlefield, with Ratchet's weapons spread throughout, hidden in pods. You'll have to run around, jump, zip around on hover boots and do other platforming actions to reach the weapons—the best ones are the most hidden. Enemies will show up and, as in previous Ratchet games, you can shoot them.

The twist comes near the end of the level, when an alert goes off and a "major assault" begins. Enemies begin to flood in from all over the place. At this point, Ratchet is able to run around the level, setting up turrets. This is when the tower defense begins. He's constrained by the amount of bolts he has, which were obtained by killing enemies before the major assault.

The game is full of the silly weapons franchise fans like. We've got laser guns and flamethrowers and turrets that shoot disco balls that make enemies dance. There's still a gun that turns enemies into sheep, though this time the sheep fight for you.

You can play as Ratchet, Clank or Captain Qwark, and the game supports two-player co-op, online or split-screen.

I wasn't able to play Full Frontal Assault, but from what I could see, this is a sensible application of tower defense. This should work. We'll see in the fall when the game is released as a PS3 download on the PlayStation Network."

http://kotaku.com/5927352/how-ratchet-does-tower-defense

Colour me interested (although it's Ratchet, I was going to buy it anyway :P)

i would say im hyped...but i was also hyped for R&C All 4 One and that one wasnt that good...so lets wait and see what the reviews say...

Updated the OP with the latest hands-on from Kotaku.

This game has been the top of my 'most wanted' list for a few months now and I'm even more excited about it after reading this. I'm hopeful Insomniac will get the balance right and this will turn out to be another stellar entry in the Ratchet series.

I don't like the tower defense thing,but I'm sure I'll get it. I have the ratchet and clank collection and played all the ps3 ratchet and clank games.

Wow this game wasnt on my radar at all but this sounds really cool. Hopefully it is a hit and will have a consistent community of players.