By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - PlayStation All-Stars’ Developers Want Super Mario To Join Sony’s Brawler

BasilZero said:
JWeinCom said:
BasilZero said:
JWeinCom said:
PlaystaionGamer said:
'LMAO. I guess that just ripping off every aspect of the game isn't enough. They want the actual characters too'

hardly, Brawlers arnt owned by Nintendo or even started with them.

Brawlers weren't started by Nintendo, but Superbot has lifted the aesthetics and a good deal of the gameplay mechanics directly from Smash. 

You can say that pretty much to every single game that is coming out these days especially fighters.

Games copy elements from each other, not sure why people make a big fuss over it especially for this game.

@topic - Sounds more like a compliment, that they acknowledge Mario as a iconic figure in the gaming industry. Although there is no way they would be able to put Mario in the game, I would take it as a compliment, not as a statment or a cry to get him in the game. l0l at people who get upset cause of this.

Actually, I don't think you can say that about every game coming out today.  That's a cop out that gives developers an excuse to get lazy and quit innovating.  Check out games like Kid Icarus Uprising, or Ghost Trick and Catherine from last year.  These games were chock full of originality.  They took very sparingly from other games, while adding an incredible amount of novelty.

Look at a game like Rayman Origins.  Nobody looks at Rayman and says "OMG IT'S A MARIO CLONE".  That's because it isn't.  Rayman Origins uses its own unique art style, different game mechanics, unique level design, and tons of unique quirks and personality.

Take a look at Smash Brothers itself.  One of the reasons Smash Brothers took off, besides its powerful license, was because it was so unique.  Sure, it featured characters punching and kicking each other like any other fighter, but it featured a simplified control scheme that allowed players to easily get into the action, unique mechanics that eschewed the typical life bars, a unique aesthetic, etc.

Then we have Playstation All-Stars.  Its visual style is a clear imitation of Smash Brothers, and by all accounts its controls are very similar.  Despite the nice idea of combining two different worlds for each stage, the overall level design is very similar.  The main difference between the games thus far seems to be the method of knocking out your opponent.  The jury is out on whether this will be a positive or a negative change.

Maybe Sony Smash will be a great game, and if Sony fans enjoy it, than good for them.  However, it's a bit discouraging to see one of the biggest companies in gaming settling for a derivative title instead of working to create something innovative and unique.

Developers will keep on making games however they want (that includes copying certain aspects from other games), it doesnt matter what anyone will say, I wouldnt be surprised if more games from different companies will use "similar" aspects, would you call them that out as well? I wouldnt. 

If you like the type of game that SSB is, wouldnt you love to see another game exactly like it? I know I would, infact I am, since I am a fan of SSB.

Also, the aspects may look similar, but have you played PSABR? Do you know the exact mechanics? Do you know if its exactly like SSB? No. You just saw a few videos of the stages and character representations. You are no different from the people who look at a game and think first of graphics. 

Look at the gameplay when the game comes out and play it than judge for yourself, dont judge it because of some video you saw because of its visuals.

Also you dont necessarily need to be a fan of sony, just the fan of the genre, unless you know, your one of those people who worship corporations.

Developers won't make games however they want.  They'll make the games that people buy.  If tens of millions of people buy Playstation All Stars, they'll determine that people are OK with such unoriginal projects.  If people don't buy it, they'll perhaps have a bit more ambition next time.

And no, I haven't played ASBR, but I'm a fairly intelligent person, and it's not hard to tell a lot about the game from a combination of videos and hands on impressions.  Unless youare suggesting that nobody discusses any game that hasn't come out yet, than I don't really see your point.  Of course, I'll reserve final judgement until I play the game, but analyzing pre-release games is part of the fun here, and there is a lot of information you can get from impressions and videos.

As for why I wouldn't want to see another game exactly like Smash Brothers, it's simple.  I have Smash Brothers.  If I want to play Smash, I could do so right now, so why do I need to drop 60 bucks to play something that's the same?  What I WOULD like is a game that takes the same premise and adds a unique spin to it, but that doesn't look like what we have here.

JWeinCom said:

However, it's a bit discouraging to see one of the biggest companies in gaming settling for a derivative title instead of working to create something innovative and unique

o_O.Q said:
i see this statment getting thrown around a lot in the context of nintendo but i can't really take it seriously when the highlight of their show was mario games that have changed very little over the course of 20 years and pikmin that again seems to be more of the same

JWeinCom said:

However, it's a bit discouraging to see one of the biggest companies in gaming settling for a derivative title instead of working to create something innovative and unique.

i see this statment getting thrown around a lot in the context of nintendo but i can't really take it seriously when the highlight of their show was mario games that have changed very little over the course of 20 years and pikmin that again seems to be more of the same

First off, there is a difference between building upon your own successes and trying to leech of of others.

Second of all, there is nothing wrong with building on your successes, as long as you are also looking for new things as well.  Nintendo has a history of basically creating genres.  Mario Kart begets Crash Team Racing, Mario Party begets Crash Bash, Wii Fit begets Your Shape, Wii Sports begets Sports Champions, Smash Brothers Begets Playstation All-Stars, Brain Age begets a whole slew of mental training games, and so on so forth. You mentioned Pikmin as a sign of Nintendo's lack of creativity, but how many franchises out there are really like it?  How many games like Kid Icarus Uprising are out there?  Are there a ton of games out there like Luigi's Mansion, or Paper Mario?  Project P-100? 

And that's really what seperates the two companies.  Sure, Nintendo tries to capitalize on their successes, but they're also continually creating new genres, exploring new ideas, creating new ways to play, and so on so forth.  Sony on the other hand tends to try and capitalize on market trends.  For all of their polish, games like Uncharted 3 and Infamous 2 add precious little in terms of novelty or innovation.  Games like Everybody Dance and Sports Champions are poor attempts to follow in the footsteps of other companies. 

With few exceptions (Little Big Planet and Heavy Rain stand out) Sony doesn't strive to innovate.  Playstation All Stars is not  an abberation, it is part of a pattern.  Sony is continually looking to their rivals and accordingly, they frequently finds themselves scrambling to catch up to market trends.  If they continue this pattern, it's hard to see them ever regaining the commanding lead they once had in the gaming industry.

Oh, and why I would care about this game is simple.  Like most people on VGChartz, I'm a pretty passionate gamer, so I'm naturally interested in the direction of the three major companies who play a huge role in shaping the future of the industry ^_^.

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
BasilZero said:
JWeinCom said:
PlaystaionGamer said:
'LMAO. I guess that just ripping off every aspect of the game isn't enough. They want the actual characters too'

Brawlers weren't started by Nintendo, but Superbot has lifted the aesthetics and a good deal of the gameplay mechanics directly from Smash. 

You can say that pretty much to every single game that is coming out these days especially fighters.

Games copy elements from each other, not sure why people make a big fuss over it especially for this game.

@topic - Sounds more like a compliment, that they acknowledge Mario as a iconic figure in the gaming industry. Although there is no way they would be able to put Mario in the game, I would take it as a compliment, not as a statment or a cry to get him in the game. l0l at people who get upset cause of this.

Actually, I don't think you can say that about every game coming out today.  That's a cop out that gives developers an excuse to get lazy and quit innovating.  Check out games like Kid Icarus Uprising, or Ghost Trick and Catherine from last year.  These games were chock full of originality.  They took very sparingly from other games, while adding an incredible amount of novelty.

Look at a game like Rayman Origins.  Nobody looks at Rayman and says "OMG IT'S A MARIO CLONE".  That's because it isn't.  Rayman Origins uses its own unique art style, different game mechanics, unique level design, and tons of unique quirks and personality.

Take a look at Smash Brothers itself.  One of the reasons Smash Brothers took off, besides its powerful license, was because it was so unique.  Sure, it featured characters punching and kicking each other like any other fighter, but it featured a simplified control scheme that allowed players to easily get into the action, unique mechanics that eschewed the typical life bars, a unique aesthetic, etc.

Then we have Playstation All-Stars.  Its visual style is a clear imitation of Smash Brothers, and by all accounts its controls are very similar.  Despite the nice idea of combining two different worlds for each stage, the overall level design is very similar.  The main difference between the games thus far seems to be the method of knocking out your opponent.  The jury is out on whether this will be a positive or a negative change.

Maybe Sony Smash will be a great game, and if Sony fans enjoy it, than good for them.  However, it's a bit discouraging to see one of the biggest companies in gaming settling for a derivative title instead of working to create something innovative and unique.

LittleBigPlanet. 

It's always funny to see people calling this game copy. Tough in my opinion even with all thebashing the game will be better being a copy of smashbros.

lilbroex said:
mizzou_guy said:
lilbroex said:
Tridrakious said:
A PlayStation game at the top of the Nintendo thread here on VGChartz.

Interesting how when Nintendo fans have no games to play, they talk about the games Sony is getting. Nintendo has a Smash Bros game coming out. Actually two. You would think Nintendo fans would talk about that.

Not Sony's PlayStation All-Stars.

LOL! So many fallacies in one post. Good try though.

Can you be constructive and point out those fallacies, please?

I do think it's weird that people are on a Search & Destroy mission in regards to the word-of-mouth about this game.  I'm very excited for this game to come out, cause as someone already said, I love the Smash Bros gameplay style, but I only care about a couple of characters that Nintendo puts into those games.  With this game, I'm already caring about a little over half of the characters that have been revealed.

Just as regular fighting games can be very similar to each other, so can "smash" genre games.  I don't see what the big deal is.  Do the CoD players complain about Battlefield being too similar?

Making a claim that Nintnedo fans have no games to play when the forum stays continuously active with discussion of current and future games. Making this being the top thread in the forum at the moment into something other than the fact that whatever got the last post in it is the top thread (it was actually Sony fans who came here to defend the game that are keeping it in the top(IRONYYYYY)).

Stating that people here are talking about the "games Sony is getting" when not only are we talking about only one game, but also only as far as their ripping off Nintendo's games as well as this admission of them wanting a Nintendo character is concerned.

Claiming that the people in this section are not talking about 3DS adn Wii U Smash Bros while I'm tired of reading about them, as well as not noticing that in doing so he ackownledged that Sony All-Stars is in fact a rip off of Smash Brothers.

Dude. You started the thread. You had your little sentence "LMAO. I guess that just ripping off every aspect of the game isn't enough. They want the actual characters too." Nobody got upset. We simply pointed out that Omar and Chan obviously had to answer something and Mario being as popular as he is was a clear choice. Also the fact that games copy each other A LOT these days. You can't make a borderline aggressive thread about a game and then give fans crap when they defend it.

Panama said:
JWeinCom said:
PlaystaionGamer said:

The game plays nothing like Smash Bros. For starters it doesn't revolve around knocking your opponent out of the screen. All they took were stock and time battles which aren't exactly something worth the amount of controversy it received or exclusive to SSB. Also the Aesthetics? The characters look exactly like they do from their respective games as do the stages so what does this even mean?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJC5DwR-9bo

If you don't see the similarities I don't know what to say.

PlaystaionGamer said:
JWeinCom said:
BasilZero said:
JWeinCom said:
PlaystaionGamer said:

LittleBigPlanet. 

Little Big Planet is certainly a fantastic and innovative title.  Heavy Rain as well.  What else is there?

Around the Network
lilbroex said:
BasilZero said:
lilbroex said:
Lets us all not forget that when e3 was going on, they had nothing but Smash Brothers tags listed under there YouTube video at first. Does anyone still have the photos from before they changed it?

Those tags were placed to troll people, apparently it worked lmao. I'm glad they did that, it was so funny seeing so many people rage about it.

I'm pretty sure whoever did the tags must of gotten disciplined but man it was hilarious xD.

Nobody was raging about it on Nintendo's end. Everyone was laughing about it.

It pretty much confirmed everything that people on the original Smash Brothers side had been saying and destroyed everything that people on Sony's side were saying in defense of the game.

wrong, everyone was raging at Nintendos end. Everyone was furious. Playstation All Stars BR will be far better anyway for me as it has interesting characters that i persoanlly care about. i only brought a Wii for Brawl and now i have sold it. 

i think you need to calm it tbh, your trolling pretty hard in here and its starting to stink the site out. 

UnitSmiley said:
lilbroex said:
mizzou_guy said:
lilbroex said:
Tridrakious said:
A PlayStation game at the top of the Nintendo thread here on VGChartz.

Interesting how when Nintendo fans have no games to play, they talk about the games Sony is getting. Nintendo has a Smash Bros game coming out. Actually two. You would think Nintendo fans would talk about that.

Not Sony's PlayStation All-Stars.

LOL! So many fallacies in one post. Good try though.

Can you be constructive and point out those fallacies, please?

I do think it's weird that people are on a Search & Destroy mission in regards to the word-of-mouth about this game.  I'm very excited for this game to come out, cause as someone already said, I love the Smash Bros gameplay style, but I only care about a couple of characters that Nintendo puts into those games.  With this game, I'm already caring about a little over half of the characters that have been revealed.

Just as regular fighting games can be very similar to each other, so can "smash" genre games.  I don't see what the big deal is.  Do the CoD players complain about Battlefield being too similar?

Making a claim that Nintnedo fans have no games to play when the forum stays continuously active with discussion of current and future games. Making this being the top thread in the forum at the moment into something other than the fact that whatever got the last post in it is the top thread (it was actually Sony fans who came here to defend the game that are keeping it in the top(IRONYYYYY)).

Stating that people here are talking about the "games Sony is getting" when not only are we talking about only one game, but also only as far as their ripping off Nintendo's games as well as this admission of them wanting a Nintendo character is concerned.

Claiming that the people in this section are not talking about 3DS adn Wii U Smash Bros while I'm tired of reading about them, as well as not noticing that in doing so he ackownledged that Sony All-Stars is in fact a rip off of Smash Brothers.

Dude. You started the thread. You had your little sentence "LMAO. I guess that just ripping off every aspect of the game isn't enough. They want the actual characters too." Nobody got upset. We simply pointed out that Omar and Chan obviously had to answer something and Mario being as popular as he is was a clear choice. Also the fact that games copy each other A LOT these days. You can't make a borderline aggressive thread about a game and then give fans crap when they defend it.

Dude, I'm just asnwering the question that I was asked.

Here we have another of the most common fallacies(I can't remember what is called). over generlizing aspects of something to make one look less corrupt by comparison.

PlaystaionGamer said:
JWeinCom said:
BasilZero said:
JWeinCom said:
PlaystaionGamer said:

LittleBigPlanet. 

Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls, The Last of Us, Starhawk to name a few that started this generation on PS3. There is also Patapon, LocoRoco, Jeanne D'Arc, Echochrome to name a few for PSP.

Anyway, this game is what PlayStation fans have been wanting. A Smash Bros style game featuring the PlayStation Nation. I'm glad Sony is giving the fans what they want. And it is not 100% the same.

JWeinCom said:

o_O.Q said:

JWeinCom said:

However, it's a bit discouraging to see one of the biggest companies in gaming settling for a derivative title instead of working to create something innovative and unique.

First off, there is a difference between building upon your own successes and trying to leech of of others.

Second of all, there is nothing wrong with building on your successes, as long as you are also looking for new things as well.  Nintendo has a history of basically creating genres.  Mario Kart begets Crash Team Racing, Mario Party begets Crash Bash, Wii Fit begets Your Shape, Wii Sports begets Sports Champions, Smash Brothers Begets Playstation All-Stars, Brain Age begets a whole slew of mental training games, and so on so forth. You mentioned Pikmin as a sign of Nintendo's lack of creativity, but how many franchises out there are really like it?  How many games like Kid Icarus Uprising are out there?  Are there a ton of games out there like Luigi's Mansion, or Paper Mario?  Project P-100? 

And that's really what seperates the two companies.  Sure, Nintendo tries to capitalize on their successes, but they're also continually creating new genres, exploring new ideas, creating new ways to play, and so on so forth.  Sony on the other hand tends to try and capitalize on market trends.  For all of their polish, games like Uncharted 3 and Infamous 2 add precious little in terms of novelty or innovation.  Games like Everybody Dance and Sports Champions are poor attempts to follow in the footsteps of other companies. 

With few exceptions (Little Big Planet and Heavy Rain stand out) Sony doesn't strive to innovate.  Playstation All Stars is not  an abberation, it is part of a pattern.  Sony is continually looking to their rivals and accordingly, they frequently finds themselves scrambling to catch up to market trends.  If they continue this pattern, it's hard to see them ever regaining the commanding lead they once had in the gaming industry.

Oh, and why I would care about this game is simple.  Like most people on VGChartz, I'm a pretty passionate gamer, so I'm naturally interested in the direction of the three major companies who play a huge role in shaping the future of the industry ^_^.

i fail to understand how you can try to lable luigi's mansion and kid icarus uprising as being ever so unique and write off infamous 2 as having little novelty or innovation... what is so differentiating about those games?

"You mentioned Pikmin as a sign of Nintendo's lack of creativity, but how many franchises out there are really like it?"

thats like me asking how many franchises out there are like flower or steel batalion

the fact of the matter is that every company has its own unique titles not just nintendo and that you're trying to imply that that isn't so is amsuing imo

"With few exceptions (Little Big Planet and Heavy Rain stand out) Sony doesn't strive to innovate"

yeah... but somehow the 50th 2d mario is innovation

nintendo has shown their new console off for 2 years now and i struggle to see anything new or innovative being released by them for it

sure you could look at nintendoland but imo if this game can be called a copy of smash then nintendo land is a watered down copy of playstation home

edit : btw if you knew more about gaming history then you would know that wii fit, wii sports etc type games were done on the eyetoy long before the wii was released and even before that on other platforms

that you try to claim that the wii was the originator for these types of games is again imo laughable

I keep hearing about how Playstation All-Stars is similar to Smash Brothers. So does Smash Bros have a combo system unique to each character? How about supers? Are there three different throws, giving you a unique setup depending on the individual throw? Are the stages constantly evolving?

Other than the game being a 2D fighter with floaty controls, is their any similarities?

Does anyone know? I haven't played the recent Smash Brothers, so I can't answer these questions.