By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - CNBC's Best states for Buisness (and worst)

Woot woot, Utah number 2... probably would be better if we had a good governor...

I'm actually a teacher and he has killed our education program...

Around the Network

Not surprised about North Dakota. It's supposed to have a lot of new oil/manufacturing jobs, or at least I think.

And Road Island at the bottom?! xD It's probably so small it could barely fit any businesses inside of it!

haxxiy said:

Yeah I also expected California to be dead last, but yeah, it makes sense the economics of the Bay Area pushes the numbers up. Also I wonder why Alaska is so bad, I have a cousin living there now and she said the state seemed economically than both Minnesota and Florida, where she lived before.

Florida has a huge tourist industry, remember? That's why it is doing OK.

Wait, how in the world is Ohio above Florida?!

Kasz216 said:
TadpoleJackson said:

Really surprised to not see California at 50. The last one of these that was posted had them in dead last beside New York. And that was only a few months ago.

Also NC dropped a position :(

Found the thread just to compare: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=142986&page=1

It's because CNBC has more things considered.

Why is California ranked so high?   Thank the "1%."

Number 1 in available Capital and Number 3 in Tech and Innovation due to Silicon Valley.

It's ironic that the most tech heavy industry is also one of the more physically rooted so far.

If an area can create a mecca in something, it can handcuff industries in that area, where it is really hard for them to relocate.  Local governments do a LOT better doing this, than trying to place the rate to the bottom by charging the lowest tax rates, in hopes to undercut others.  With the tech industry, you have all these other businesses near by you feed off of, and thus have a mecca.  Las Vegas had the same with gambling, before everything went south.

Around the Network
NintendoPie said:

Fracking is big there iirc

johnsobas said:
yo_john117 said:
Man I'm surprised to see Minnesota so close to the top. I take it lower numbers are better in that study?

Not surprising to see Texas is #1 though...they really have a good thing going for them (One of the best states in the US IMO)

Not surprised to see Minnesota there, i live there.  It's a liberal state and the taxes are higher to live there in general compared to ND but for businesses it is very friendly.  It's partially because ND puts pressure on them.  For example when ND proposed abolishing the property tax, Minnesota also proposed getting rid of the corporate property tax.  Many big companies here like 3M, general mills, Best Buy, US Bank, Mosaic etc.  

I live there as well. It's just that I've always been told that Minnesota isn't a very good place for businesses (especially start-up).

TadpoleJackson said:
NintendoPie said:

Are you speaking in Old Man language again?

What do you mean by this?

NintendoPie said:
TadpoleJackson said:
NintendoPie said:

Are you speaking in Old Man language again?

What do you mean by this?

Fracking is a newly utilized drilling method that has opened up the hydrocarbon market in a lot of areas.

It's controversial because the enviromental effects aren't fully known.

Kasz216 said:

Fracking is a newly utilized drilling method that has opened up the hydrocarbon market in a lot of areas.

It's controversial because the enviromental effects aren't fully known.

I've never heard of that!

Last time I was up in Ohio (a month or so ago) it looked horrible! There was like no jobs and many poor areas. (Especially Dayton/Cincinnati.)