By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - PC Gaming Screenshot Thread V.3.5: CGI-Quality Revamp!

CGI-Quality said:
Slimebeast said:
Nice to see good old Oblivion on VGC.

I really would like a brand new PC and check out the latest in modding for all of Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim but I don't know when is the right time to buy a high-end PC considering next gen requirements and if I should go for a PS4 multiplat strategy or choose to play them on PC.

Choose PC, all day! The next wave of GPUs and CPUs are arriving early-mid 2013, I'd snap stuff up then (plan to upgrade CPUs next year, myself). I will never buy an Elder Scrolls game on consoles again, the modding community has solidified that. Not to mention, my PC would stomp all over whatever next gen throws this way, even without next year's upgrade plans.

Mid 2013 sounds good actually. I would have time to prepare and dream about the specs (I'm sure you understand what I mean) and hopefully by then we've gotten a good taste of next gen graphically. I really want that future GPU to be able to run next gen titles smoothly.

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:

I really would like a brand new PC and check out the latest in modding for all of Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim but I don't know when is the right time to buy a high-end PC considering next gen requirements and if I should go for a PS4 multiplat strategy or choose to play them on PC.

If you ever do, for the sake of your sanity, don't choose an ATI GPU!. Recent ATI GPU's hate Oblivion like it was the spawn of satan .

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

I bought my most expensive PC to date in April 2006, only a few weeks after the release of Oblivion, and I remember so well how that $600 Radeon X1900XT GPU could only run the game at 1280x1024 resolution at a frustrating 20-25 fps.

Slimebeast said:

I bought my most expensive PC to date in April 2006, only a few weeks after the release of Oblivion, and I remember so well how that $600 Radeon X1900XT GPU could only run the game at 1280x1024 resolution at a frustrating 20-25 fps.

Even my 6770M runs Oblivion fully modded at only 30 FPS.....which is the same FPS that runs Skyrim with ENB setting and all the bajillion mods that I have .

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

CGI-Quality said:
Slimebeast said:
CGI-Quality said:
Slimebeast said:

Choose PC, all day! The next wave of GPUs and CPUs are arriving early-mid 2013, I'd snap stuff up then (plan to upgrade CPUs next year, myself). I will never buy an Elder Scrolls game on consoles again, the modding community has solidified that. Not to mention, my PC would stomp all over whatever next gen throws this way, even without next year's upgrade plans.

Mid 2013 sounds good actually. I would have time to prepare and dream about the specs (I'm sure you understand what I mean) and hopefully by then we've gotten a good taste of next gen graphically. I really want that future GPU to be able to run next gen titles smoothly.

Th 690 would suit you well. Grab one of those in 2013, it'll be MUCH cheaper, and one of the 2013 CPUs.

I don't know. GPUs don't drop in price very much. They're replaced by refreshed versions instead. And the 690 is a dual GPU right? I'm worried about micro-stuttering. Plus I'm an AMD guy.

Around the Network
lestatdark said:
Slimebeast said:

If you ever do, for the sake of your sanity, don't choose an ATI GPU!. Recent ATI GPU's hate Oblivion like it was the spawn of satan .

What, for real? Oblivion specifically? I don't believe that. And I'm an AMD lover so it really doesn't matter.

How many mods do u have on Skyrim and do you still play the game? What is ENB setting?

lestat and the rest of you, do you still play Diablo 3? And how about Heroes 5 and Heroes 6, are you into those games and if so, what's your opinion?

I'm also planning to invest in Civ 4 or Civ 5 if I get into PC gaming again in the coming year. And Rome Total War 2 and the new Mount & Blade.

Slimebeast said:
lestat and the rest of you, do you still play Diablo 3? And how about Heroes 5 and Heroes 6, are you into those games and if so, what's your opinion?

I'm also planning to invest in Civ 4 or Civ 5 if I get into PC gaming again in the coming year. And Rome Total War 2 and the new Mount & Blade.

I played D3 until June, got all my characters into Act III Inferno but decided that I didn't want to spend a bajillion gold in the AU just to be able to afford gear for Act IV Inferno. 

Also, as CGI said, some games just perform rather poorly on ATI cards, due to poor optimization, especially on the more recent GPUs. Oblivion and Morrowind are just some examples. 

I have almost 100 mods for Skyrim, though at the moment i'm using about 40. ENB are a series of enhanced shaders and effects that have been released for some games, like Skyrim, GTA IV and ME3. They add a lot of amazing effects, like Bokeh Depth of Field, SSAO + SSIL, ambient lightning and so on, and are very easy to customize. On page 5 (if you have the 50 posts per page option) of this thread you can see how Skyrim is currently looking with my setup.

Current PC Build

lestatdark said:
Slimebeast said:

I played D3 until June, got all my characters into Act III Inferno but decided that I didn't want to spend a bajillion gold in the AU just to be able to afford gear for Act IV Inferno. 

Also, as CGI said, some games just perform rather poorly on ATI cards, due to poor optimization, especially on the more recent GPUs. Oblivion and Morrowind are just some examples. 

I have almost 100 mods for Skyrim, though at the moment i'm using about 40. ENB are a series of enhanced shaders and effects that have been released for some games, like Skyrim, GTA IV and ME3. They add a lot of amazing effects, like Bokeh Depth of Field, SSAO + SSIL, ambient lightning and so on, and are very easy to customize. On page 5 (if you have the 50 posts per page option) of this thread you can see how Skyrim is currently looking with my setup.

Wow, absolutely amazing! I love the effects, and the lighting. It's like a different game, a next gen game.

What specs on your machine and what framerates do you achieve in outdoors scenes with these mods?

Slimebeast said:
lestatdark said:
Slimebeast said:

Wow, absolutely amazing! I love the effects, and the lighting. It's like a different game, a next gen game.

What specs on your machine and what framerates do you achieve in outdoors scenes with these mods?

It's a laptop actually, i7 2,9 ghz, ATI radeon 6770m 2 GB (overclocked shaders) and 8 gb ram. I usually get 30 - 40 FPS outdoors (even on large battles) and only drop down into the 20 fps mark on cities with large architectures like Markarth or Solitude. 

Current PC Build