By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Need help, trying to determine the size of games by generations or console - List Updated

So I'm trying to figure out the min and max game size for every console and also the average size of games for each generation. So far I got this and it's becoming quite difficult to find them all. The numbers so far are as close as I can get it, it's not 100% accurate.

First Generation

?

Second Generation

2600: 2KiB - 32KiB, Average: 8KiB

5200: 8KiB - 48KiB, Average: 16KiB

Colecovision: 8iB - 32KiB, Average: 16KiB

Average for gen: 13KiB

Third Generation

7800: 32KiB - 144KiB, Average: 

NES: 4KiB - 1MiB, Average 300KiB

Average for gen: 300KiB

Fourth Generation

NeoGeo: 2.75MiB - 90MiB

SNES: 16MB - 48MB

Genesis: 40MB

Average for gen: ?

Fifth Generation

PSOne: 50MB - 1.5GB, Average: 400MB

Nintendo 64: 4MB - 64MB, Average: ?

Avergae for gen: 400MB

Sixth Generation

DreamCast: ? - 3GB, Average: 500MB

GameCube: ? - 1.2GB, Avergae: 750MB

PS2: 700MB - 8 GB, Average: 2GB?

Average for gen: 1GB

Seventh Generation

Xbox 360: 3GB - 20GB, Average: 6GB

PS3: ? - 50GB, Average: 8GB

Wii: 300MB - 7.5GB, Avergae: 2GB

PSP: 50MB - 1.5GB, Average: 700MB

DS: 8MB - 512MB

Average for gen: 4GB

Eighth Generation

3DS: 100MB - 3.2GB, Avergae: 600MB

Vita: 100MB - 3.5GB, Average: 1.5GB

Average for gen: (to early to tell with just handhelds)

Need help getting more. I'll organize it much better when I get more, but for now maybe post your finding?

Around the Network

Memory is a little fuzzy but I think the biggest Super Nes game was either a Donkey Kong Country title or Super Street Fighter 2. I think the magic number was 32mb. I think there was a 40mb Genesis game, too. Possibly Super Street Fighter 2.

I think 3DS games can go up to 4GB. GameCube's max was 1.2GB, from memory too. I'd say the average NGC game was around 750-800MB.

d21lewis said:
Memory is a little fuzzy but I think the biggest Super Nes game was either a Donkey Kong Country title or Super Street Fighter 2. I think the magic number was 32mb. I think there was a 40mb Genesis game, too. Possibly Super Street Fighter 2.

Were they so big?

I remember seeing stickers on game boxes/cartridges about having 16MB, even 1 with 24MB (maybe Urban Strike?), and me and my friends always thought that those games had to be good because they had those 16MB.

Ah, the good old times...

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Dreamcast discs could hold up to 1.2 GB but most only held as much as a standard CD the biggest game was probably Shenmue at around 3GB. I'm guessing the average was around 500 MB slighly bigger then PS1 games.

Around the Network

That is an interesting evaluation. Why are you doing this though? I feel like it's going to be used as fuel for something... :P

d21lewis said:

I'm pretty certain that the biggest SNES games were Star Ocean and Tales of Phantasia, I just can't remember in which order.

JEMC said:
d21lewis said:

Were they so big?

I remember seeing stickers on game boxes/cartridges about having 16MB, even 1 with 24MB (maybe Urban Strike?), and me and my friends always thought that those games had to be good because they had those 16MB.

Ah, the good old times...

Yeah, I remember Sega making a big deal about Strider because it was "The world's first 8 Meg game!".  Then Nintendo made a big deal about Street Fighter II being a 16 Meg game!  It went back and forth for a while.  Even the Super Metroid commercial said, "That's 24 Megs!  Nintendo's biggest game, ever!"  I stopped keeping track at around 1995 but I remember seeing an ad for Super Street Fighter 2 for the Genesis.  It said, "The Genesis version comes in at a whopping 40 Megs while the Super Nintendo version limps in with only 32."  Goddam, Sega knew how to push my buttons!  I was furious!

Wikipedia says that the maximun capacity for Gamecube discs is 1.4 GB. I'm Guessing that the biggest game was RE4 at around 2GB and that the average was about 550MB.

I know that the 3DS and Vita can both go up to 8GB but no game has used that much yet.

For the original DS it was 8mb - 512mb.