By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bravely Default Flying Fairy OT - TGS Trailer direct feed is (finally) up! All set for release!

New gameplay details and pics revealed too:

http://andriasang.com/con20h/bravely_default_update/

Dengeki Online has a new preview of Bravely Default Flying Fairy, complete with lots of new gameplay details. Access the site for screens. Here's a summary of the details:

BATTLE SYSTEM

As previously detailed, Bravely Default uses a job system. The job system is said to like that of Final Fantasy V, but with the element of "cost" added, allowing for greater customization.

You make use of two types of abilities during battle: Job Commands and Support Abilities. Job Commands are standard commands that the character uses during battle -- things like magic and attacks. Support Abilities are abilities whose effects are automatic without command input -- things like +10% HP, or a knight's ability to cover a party member who's in trouble.

One of your Job Commands can be set with an ability that you learned when playing as a separate job. Using this system, you can have a knight who uses white magic, and so-forth.

Your Support Abilities can also be set with support abilities that you learned from another job. Support Abilities use a cost system. You can freely set support abilities, regardless of their originating job, as long as you stay within cost. Using this system, you can take a weak white mage and use support abilities to build up the character's HP and defense strength.

You earn new abilities when your job level rises, which occurs as you defeat enemies and acquire "JP" (Job Points). Jobs can be raised up to 10 levels.

PARTY CHAT

Your characters will engage in skits ala the Tales series. During these skits, the characters will talk about the current state of the story, various side bits, and even share strategies.

When a skit is available, you'll see "Party Chat" in the lower left of the screen. Press Y to view the skit.

The game has a large number of skits, including some extremely rare ones.

Around the Network

I didn't even checked pokemonbrawl posts! Aw, well, such cool news deserve two announcements anyway :P

This game looks great, i'm so excited! Definite day one for me.

Soriku said:

What are you talking about you idiot? This game looks awesome.

OK, so ignore this foolish, foolish comment (well, sort of) I made earlier this month. I started looking up more info on this game and I really want this now when I previously had almost no interest in it at all.

First of all, the art direction is beautiful. I hadn't noticed it till now but this game probably has one of the best art directions for a fantasy RPG I've seen. Just by looking at the pics in the OP you can see a lot of effort has been put in it to make it look unique and stand out. And best of all is that much of the art is translated incredibly well in game.

Just look at the vid starting at 1:28. The transition from art to in game is almost unnoticeable. Really well done. I kinda wish the game had character models that looked like the AR demo like this...

...but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Second, some real interesting stuff about the scenario. It's written by the same guy that did Steins;Gate and Chaos;Head (Naotaka Hayashi), both popular visual novels as well as animes with good stories. It's a little strange that I personally say this though since I dropped Steins;Gate (lol) but I dropped it because I felt it was too slow. Anyway, this is a fantasy story and since it's an RPG I'll be more patient. The game is also said to be written for an older audience, so I'm expecting the story to be good. The direction seems interesting at least (from Wikipedia):

"The games producer Tomoya Asano was attempting to make a game with "appealing and likable characters and a scenario that surprised players", and after encountering Steins:Gate, asked Hayashi's employer, 5pb., if he could work on the project.[2] During development, Asano asked Hayashi to increase the age of the characters, and make sure that all the characters were appealing, whether good or bad."

Third, I read this "Someone asked if the game will have voices just during event scenes and movies, or if the game part of the game will also have voices. Asano replied that most of the events have voices, and the main characters have a massive amount of voice." Thank god. Voice acting helps a lot with the immersion so I'm happy there's lots of voice.

Fourth, I'm surprised at what they say the length is. 60 to 70 hours just for the story? Now, developers usually overshoot their hours so I'm expecting it to be more like 50-60 but doesn't change the fact that this game will be long, especially with how they say there's extra stuff and there's a wireless aspect too so we'll see how that plays out. I'm happy that this isn't another 20-30 hour RPG likes ones found on the DS. If they make the scenario interesting, it could very well be a long epic.

Lastly, for the negatives I still don't like the random encounters and one save slot. I know the devs tweaked things based on user feedback, including a faster running speed, but nothing really has been said about the random encounters so I'm hoping it's not bad to begin with. I heard something like you'll be able to choose encounters or something but I don't know if that's true. If someone has heard about this and can shed light, it'd be appreciated. I think one save slot is inexecusable though. If I want to replay the game I'd have to delete my file...screw that.

Now, just localize this SE.

Just saw this too, great post

And no, I never heard anything about choosing encounters, but some other forum users report something like this, but no official info yet. It's not from the battle demo, as all those battles were scripted too.

Anyway, if you want to replay it, just buy another copy and help the cause :P. No, seriously, it's not a cool feature, but at least makes one wonder what are those wireless features that made this necessary.

Pics of the Specia Edition

The artbook and soundtrack all look good, but that exclusive boxart with the black bar is the coolest thing for me lol

Around the Network

Here's the summary of the latest news:

- Job system similar to Final Fantasy V
- Has an element of “cost” for more customization
- Use Job Commands and Support Abilities in battle
- Job Commands are standard commands (magic, attacks, etc.)
- Support Abilities: abilities whose effects are automatic without command input
- Examples of the above: +10% HP, or a knight’s ability to cover a party member who’s in trouble
- One of your Job Commands can be set with an ability that you learned when playing as a separate job
- This allows a knight to use magic
- Set Support Abilities with those learned from another job
- Support Abilities use a cost system
- Players can freely set support abilities, regardless of their originating job, as long as you stay within cost
- This system lets you take a weak white mage and use support abilities to build up the character’s HP and defense strength
- Earn new abilities when your job level rises
- Job level rises as you defeat enemies and acquire “JP” (Job Points)
- Jobs can be raised up to 10 levels
- Characters engage in skits like the Tales series
- Characters will talk about the current state of the story, various side bits, and even share strategies
- “Party Chat” will appear on the lower left of the screen when a skit is available
- Press Y to see the skit
- Large number of skits
- Some rare skits included

spurgeonryan said:
You are a quick guy VicViper! That game is looking really great! Will that collectors edition reach America?

Hm, most likely not. Hopefully though.

Here's another pic of the set, looks really really great. And finally we've seen the Flying Fairy.

Thanks, Spurge

They were posted as a link, but this way is much better
Gah, I'm really curious about this game sales! Maybe, just maybe, can it become a big game (300k)? I'm almost starting to think so.

New character revealed: His name? Ringabel (lol) + Unique summon system

Bravely Default: Fourth Character Revealed, Fourth Demo Coming Soon

Plus, first word on a unique summon system that lets you summon your friends into battle.

The identity of Bravely Default's mysterious fourth character has ben revealed in this week's Jump. According to Tales Source, which gets Jump in advance, the character's name is Ringabel (in Japanese, リングアベル -- feel free to suggest a better romanization).

Of course, what we've really been wondering since the character's artwork first appeared on the game's soundtrack jacket earlier this month is, male or female? The answer is male -- and quite the male at that! Ringabel is a young man who's lost his memory and is traveling the land in the hopes of courting a girl. He has in his possession the "D Notebook," which provides him with prophesies of things to come.

Outside of an introduction to Ringabel, the magazine reveals that the game has a unique summon system. Using Wi-Fi (it's unclear if this is StreetPass or manual Wi-Fi exchanges), you'll be able to exchange your character with others. You can call out characters you've received this way into battle as summons.

Jump's Bravely Default reveals are always accompanied by word of an upcoming demo release. This is the case here. The game's fourth demo will be coming soon, the magazine says. This could mean we'll get the demo next week, so get your 3DS ready!

He's the blond guy

is he a guy?

300k ltd sales in Japan seems possible to me