By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The $99 Xbox 360 On Sale Now at Best Buy, GameStop

that works really easy lol everyone with an average brain know how that works...

Around the Network
Aielyn said:
yo_john117 said:
Hey I hate small print and all the bogus it contains as well but there's no need to single this out over anything else because it's EXACTLY the same as any other contract deal. They even tell you right away that you're going to be in a contract.

Actually, looking at that image bothers me even more. Why? Because, for someone who actually understands the nuances of english, it actually implies that you get two free years of Xbox Live Gold, valued at $14.99/month, not that you must pay 2 years worth of $14.99/month. This is made worse by the image on the left, which, in conjunction with the main text (the large font part), suggests that you'll be getting Xbox Live Gold as part of that $99.

Essentially, it reads as "...xbox live gold contract [valued] at $14.99/month". And while you and I are more than knowledgeable enough to know to re-read it, your typical late adopter isn't going to read it that carefully. It also doesn't say that the Xbox Live Gold contract is a necessary part of the deal.

Although seeing that image does slightly change my opinion, I still stand by the overall assertion - that it's an underhanded ploy, rather than simply an alternate deal offering people the chance to pay it off over time.

I don't think a lot of people will buy an X360 for 99$ without thinking about some sort of extra costs, and most of all, I don't think that anybody will buy product without knowing the deal that they're taking.

Aielyn said:
yo_john117 said:
Hey I hate small print and all the bogus it contains as well but there's no need to single this out over anything else because it's EXACTLY the same as any other contract deal. They even tell you right away that you're going to be in a contract.

Actually, looking at that image bothers me even more. Why? Because, for someone who actually understands the nuances of english, it actually implies that you get two free years of Xbox Live Gold, valued at $14.99/month, not that you must pay 2 years worth of $14.99/month. This is made worse by the image on the left, which, in conjunction with the main text (the large font part), suggests that you'll be getting Xbox Live Gold as part of that $99.

Essentially, it reads as "...xbox live gold contract [valued] at $14.99/month". And while you and I are more than knowledgeable enough to know to re-read it, your typical late adopter isn't going to read it that carefully. It also doesn't say that the Xbox Live Gold contract is a necessary part of the deal.

Although seeing that image does slightly change my opinion, I still stand by the overall assertion - that it's an underhanded ploy, rather than simply an alternate deal offering people the chance to pay it off over time.

oh please. can you show us how you would like it? it seems nothing pleases you here. First it was that it used an asterik, now it explains it and you complain it may be misunderstood. Please show me some examples of how it should be. This is like any other ad. Its not under handed in any way.

You may read it as that, no one else seems too.

Wow, so everyone else lacks the knowledge to figure out this ad? it seems like its the other way around.

Maybe you should read all the text. "with new 2 year xbox live gold contract at $14.99/month"

Really whats the ssue here?

sales2099 said:
Clearly your too young to have experience in buying a car and a house with a down payment.

Its simple: when you cant pay it all upfront, you end up paying more in the long run in exchange for affordable monthly instalments. Its a trade off.

Are you guys incapable of actually reading what I say?

I actually spelled out, in detail, the way that it works. I'm a mathematician, I know this stuff pretty damn well. If you guys aren't capable of reading my posts and thinking about them before responding, then there's no point continuing the argument.

thranx said:
oh please. can you show us how you would like it? it seems nothing pleases you here. First it was that it used an asterik, now it explains it and you complain it may be misunderstood. Please show me some examples of how it should be. This is like any other ad. Its not under handed in any way.

You may read it as that, no one else seems too.

Wow, so everyone else lacks the knowledge to figure out this ad? it seems like its the other way around.

Maybe you should read all the text. "with new 2 year xbox live gold contract at $14.99/month"

Really whats the ssue here?

How are you people capable of actually responding without first trying to understand what I'm saying? I just don't get it.

Read what I said again. I didn't say that it literally says it. I said that it carries that nuance - that is, it can be read in multiple ways, and a strict interpretation (that is, technical) favours the one that isn't actually what is going on. And it's made worse if you only read it casually.

But hey, why bother actually thinking about what I say, when it's so much easier to just call me an idiot and anti-MS? In case you didn't notice, I went into a fair amount of detail on the "with new 2 year xbox live gold contract at $14.99/month".

Have you ever heard of Crash Blossoms? They're what happens when a news headline is written in such a way that the intended meaning isn't the first one you see when you read it. Sometimes, it's so bad that they end up having to change the headline. And sometimes, the resulting meaning is the exact opposite of the intended one. That is how this reads - it's vague, and two different meanings are there depending on how you fill in the blanks.

I really do love how you are all calling me stupid and completely ignoring what I have to say. Wonderfully inclusive and mature, guys. Keep it up.

Around the Network
Aielyn said:
sales2099 said:
Clearly your too young to have experience in buying a car and a house with a down payment.

Its simple: when you cant pay it all upfront, you end up paying more in the long run in exchange for affordable monthly instalments. Its a trade off.

I actually spelled out, in detail, the way that it works. I'm a mathematician, I know this stuff pretty damn well. If you guys aren't capable of reading my posts and thinking about them before responding, then there's no point continuing the argument.

You may be a mathematician, yet you seem to know little about the concept of paying with interest in the long run in exchange for affordable monthly payments.

Car industry, House industry, and phone industry all do this. Now MS is trying this with consoles. Simple. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:
Aielyn said:
sales2099 said:

You may be a mathematician, yet you seem to know little about the concept of paying with interest in the long run in exchange for affordable monthly payments.

Car industry, House industry, and phone industry all do this. Now MS is trying this with consoles. Simple.

OK, I'm going to say this in bold.

I described the process of paying with interest. If you don't realise that, then I can comfortably say that you didn't take ANY time to read what I was actually saying - you clearly just skimmed and decided to draw your own conclusions. Kind of like what I fear that advertising is intended to cause, really.

And as I said, none of the others try to hide that you'll be paying interest - they're quite upfront about it.

Aielyn said:
sales2099 said:
Aielyn said:
sales2099 said:

OK, I'm going to say this in bold.

I described the process of paying with interest. If you don't realise that, then I can comfortably say that you didn't take ANY time to read what I was actually saying - you clearly just skimmed and decided to draw your own conclusions. Kind of like what I fear that advertising is intended to cause, really.

And as I said, none of the others try to hide that you'll be paying interest - they're quite upfront about it.

Well that's not true in the least. Every company that tries to sell you something with a contract will try and hide as many fees and charges from you as long as possible and/or put things in the fine print that will cost you later.

This Xbox contract is no different than any other contract. It's as simple as that.

yo_john117 said:
Well that's not true in the least. Every company that tries to sell you something with a contract will try and hide as many fees and charges from you as long as possible and/or put things in the fine print that will cost you later.

This Xbox contract is no different than any other contract. It's as simple as that.

Interest is neither a fee nor a charge. You'll be hard-pressed to find instances where they don't tell you the interest rate or the repayment rate, one or the other. They might hide some of the extra stuff, and I abhor that, too. But it's still made clear that you're going to be paying interest.

Aielyn said:
yo_john117 said:

Interest is neither a fee nor a charge. You'll be hard-pressed to find instances where they don't tell you the interest rate or the repayment rate, one or the other. They might hide some of the extra stuff, and I abhor that, too. But it's still made clear that you're going to be paying interest.

... So ... If you cant read properly. This is a contract that allows you to buy a product in a very cheap upfront price but gives you a 24 month term in a fixed rate. 

I honestly dont see what your problem.... Theres not interest there. FIXED rate??? Duh.

Yay!!!