By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The $99 Xbox 360 On Sale Now at Best Buy, GameStop

killerzX said:
sales2099 said:
Many people dont see that this mirrors that of buying a house......you pay more with a downpayment then you do when you pay for the whole thing upfront.

A downpayment now and paying off later costs more in the end because of interest.

So offcourse many people here dont see this as a deal. Because its not meant for them, as we are too used to buying consoles upfront.

This deal is meant for lower income families. They would end up paying more in the end, but the payment plan is done so that instalments are affordable to them.

is the price of a house affordable enough for the average person to be able to buy it in full upfront. NO

same thing with cars.

you you dont take out a loan to pay for everyday "cheap" things like this.

could you imagine if you bought your groceries like this. Filet mignon, only $5!!!... with 24 easy payments of $4.99

Clearly you have zero concept of how a poor family functions. Well....neither do I, but I know they literally have to pinch every penny.

However even poor families want to have fun. This deal makes gaming more affordable. They pay more long run but the monthly price is doable.

This whole thing is an experiment. And you left of cell phones, which is more comparable to this then car/house buying. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network

Why not no money down and $20/month for 2 years? That's $480 total which ends up being $21 more than the $99 + $360, and the 360s would really fly off the shelves.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

binary solo said:

Why not no money down and $20/month for 2 years? That's $480 total which ends up being $21 more than the $99 + $360, and the 360s would really fly off the shelves.

No doubt because some stupid marketing douche discovered that $15 x 24 = 360.

d21lewis said:
Aielyn, I.....I just don't know what to say. I just want to shake you until ask "Why don't you get it?" Why don't you get it? "Only" is just an advertising buzz word. This is ridiculous. Have you ever seen an infomercial for something like P90-X. It'll say "For four easy payments of only $39.99..." or something.

I have given up on you.

If it said "for $99 plus only $14.99 per month", I'd have been fine with it.

The "only" was against the $99, not the $14.99 per month. And no, "only" is a marketing word, not an advertising buzz word. It has a very solid definition, and has been used for a long time. They are suggesting that it's cheap, yes, and that's the main purpose of the "only"... but when you say "buy a XXX for only $99*", then it's false advertising if it doesn't cost only $99. And this doesn't cost only $99, it costs $99 + $14.99/month.

As I said before, if someone were to say "Come and buy a house for only $50,000*", and then had "House and property for only $50,000 with 10 year power contract at $500 per month", it would be natural for people to be confused, due to the "only". Every single other person in this thread had already read MS's explanation of the deal before forming a judgment, so they already knew the "right" interpretation. I made it a point to not read what MS had to say about the deal, only to look at the marketing of it. The first marketing I saw was that image in the first post, that just says "$99*". Hence my initial reaction based on the asterisk itself. Then, when I saw the docket-type form, it was made worse by the vagueness - I'd assumed that it would just be fine print, and the fine print would make it clear. Instead, the fine print is actually more confusing... but I seem to be the only one who avoided MS's explanation.

yo_john117 - Again, it's not the deal (the contract), it's the marketing. It's what they actually *say* about the deal. I challenge you to find an example of a house, car, etc deal in which they sell it in the same way that MS is selling their deal - that is, using words like "only" against only part of the cost, etc. You'll be hard-pressed, because they always use terms to make it clear, like "downpayment", "deposit", or "up front". And somewhere (often the fine print) they list the "minimum total price" (this is common, for instance, in gyms - where, if you want to cancel before the contract is up, you have to pay out the remainder of the minimum price).

sales2099 said:
killerzX said:
sales2099 said:
Many people dont see that this mirrors that of buying a house......you pay more with a downpayment then you do when you pay for the whole thing upfront.

A downpayment now and paying off later costs more in the end because of interest.

So offcourse many people here dont see this as a deal. Because its not meant for them, as we are too used to buying consoles upfront.

This deal is meant for lower income families. They would end up paying more in the end, but the payment plan is done so that instalments are affordable to them.

is the price of a house affordable enough for the average person to be able to buy it in full upfront. NO

same thing with cars.

could you imagine if you bought your groceries like this. Filet mignon, only $5!!!... with 24 easy payments of $4.99

Clearly you have zero concept of how a poor family functions. Well....neither do I, but I know they literally have to pinch every penny.

However even poor families want to have fun. This deal makes gaming more affordable. They pay more long run but the monthly price is doable.

This whole thing is an experiment. And you left of cell phones, which is more comparable to this then car/house buying. 

As you admit, clearly you don't  know how poor families function. Because this isn't aimed at poor families.

Poor families don't really have $15 a month spare to be paying off a 360, and if for argument's sake they did manage to scrape up $15 per month to pay the monthly 360 bill they certainly have nothing left to buy that one thing which is essential for making a game console worth having: games. I suppose the poor family gets Kinect Adventures with the deal, so they are faced with only being able to play Kinect Adventures for the next 2 years. Not a prospect I'd be looking forward to.

And poor families don't have internet, so even the service they are paying for is useless to them. Lots of poor families don't have TVs either.

This isn't a deal for minimum wage / welfare families, this is more a deal for median / average wage families.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

One thing noone ever seems to get is that when people buy a console they get games + accessories as well. How many people leave the store without a couple of games? By the time you add together say 2-3 games and maybe a controller it could be up to $200 extra on top of the console plus any applicable sales taxes.

The upfront cost of this console is perhaps $2-300 vs $4-500 which does make a difference when it comes to outright cost. Why do people forget one significant reason why the Wii was successful? Wii + Wii Sports + Wii Play = 2 games + 2 controllers + console for $299, a magic number.

Tease.

sales2099 said:
Aielyn said:
sales2099 said:

When you make a downpayment on a house, the real estate agent isn't telling you that the house costs the downpayment price.

The problem here isn't the contract. It's the asterisk. They aren't saying "Buy an Xbox 360 for $99 upfront plus $15 a month for 24 months", they're saying "Buy an Xbox 360 for $99*".

I guess you never heard of "read the small print" lol. People know what they are getting into. This is just more feasable for lower income families. 

It's more like ripping off lower income families.  You make less money, you need to turn to "cheaper" means of entertainment.  You're still paying more in the end after the 2 year subscription when that extra paid could be used to pay for groceries.  If you can afford a monthly payment, you can afford to put aside that amount of money to buy it later.  Lower income or higher income, this is just smart common sense shopping.  No excuse for this $99 scam/illusion whatever.

Aielyn said:

yo_john117 - Again, it's not the deal (the contract), it's the marketing. It's what they actually *say* about the deal. I challenge you to find an example of a house, car, etc deal in which they sell it in the same way that MS is selling their deal - that is, using words like "only" against only part of the cost, etc. You'll be hard-pressed, because they always use terms to make it clear, like "downpayment", "deposit", or "up front". And somewhere (often the fine print) they list the "minimum total price" (this is common, for instance, in gyms - where, if you want to cancel before the contract is up, you have to pay out the remainder of the minimum price).

You simply do not get it. Why?

Their marketing is no different than other marketing for contract items. The word "only" is used ONLY for the $99 part which is true. The initial cost is ONLY $99 which is far cheaper than the initial price of a non-contract 360.

I see only 3 reasons why you would keep on with your nonsense.

A: Cultural difference - maybe marketing doesn't work that way in Australia, but it does in the US.

B: You've never in your life seen marketing for a household product with a contract before (or even non-contract products with hidden fees) (and no I am not talking about houses, I never was)

C: You're simply the kind of person that feels the need that they have to win every argument/debate/fight they've ever been in so even though your arguments are completely ridiculous and invalid you won't stop until you've "won".

sales2099 said:
killerzX said:
sales2099 said:

same thing with cars.

cleary  a poor family shouldnt be buying an xbox.

especially if the cant afford to pay $200 up front.

that is economic stupidity.

killerzX said:
sales2099 said:
killerzX said:
sales2099 said:

same thing with cars.

cleary  a poor family shouldnt be buying an xbox.

especially if the cant afford to pay $200 up front.

that is economic stupidity.

That sir is reality. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.