By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Gran Turismo 5 Goes Interstellar! - New GT5 statistics, crazy!

CGI-Quality said:
Kynes said:
CGI-Quality said:

I'm not seeing your point (though this is the first gen where GT hasn't seen mutiple full iterations). Still doesn't negate what I said - Sony has never had anything bigger than GT. Nothing new and nothing wrong with that, either.

This gen Uncharted has been bigger than GT on PS3.

Based on what? No Uncharted game saw the launch numbers of GT5, didn't hold a candle to GT5's hype (though in this case, no Uncharted title has been anticipated for 5+ years either), and the lifetieme sales Uncharted games haven't even matched GT5's current number. Uncharted is, right now, held in higher regard, yes, but it is not bigger than GT by any stretch of the imagination. 

Uncharted series has sold >14 million on PS3, GT series <12 million

Around the Network

btw do they mean driven miles when people where online or only online races against other people? because 5k miles on average for every player sounds pretty high if they only mean online races against other people. sure some drive hundred thousands of miles but many do never touch online games and only play single-player with the console online (i would believe the majority). i don't really believe the average playtime of any game on this planet is some hundred hours which would be the case if they only counted online races against other ps3 players (tuning and so one takes time as well)

CGI-Quality said:
Kynes said:
CGI-Quality said:
Kynes said:

This gen Uncharted has been bigger than GT on PS3.

Based on what? No Uncharted game saw the launch numbers of GT5, didn't hold a candle to GT5's hype (though in this case, no Uncharted title has been anticipated for 5+ years either), and the lifetieme sales Uncharted games haven't even matched GT5's current number. Uncharted is, right now, held in higher regard, yes, but it is not bigger than GT by any stretch of the imagination. 

Uncharted series has sold >14 million on PS3, GT series <12 million

Uncharted series on PS3 - 3 full iterations

GT series on PS3 - 1 Prologue and 1 full iteration. And GT5 sold 7.66 million so far, Prologue over 5 million (via Polyphony's site). Thus, GT > 12 million on PS3.

While this is not realistic at all, your compariosn actually compliments my sentiments - GT hasn't seen more than one full iteration on the PS3, yet it nearly exceeds all three Uncharted titles. If GT6 & GT7 were to be released on PS3, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

I'm just taking this site's numbers. Uncharted series has sold more than two million more games than GT on PS3, so it has been bigger than GT.  You can say that on average, GT games have sold more than Uncharted games, but it's understandable when they are more spaced on time. GT has also been much more bundled than Uncharted, at least in Europe.

GT sales are trending downwards, while Uncharted sales are trending upwards.

CGI-Quality said:
Kynes said:
CGI-Quality said:

GT series on PS3 - 1 Prologue and 1 full iteration. And GT5 sold 7.66 million so far, Prologue over 5 million (via Polyphony's site). Thus, GT > 12 million on PS3.

While this is not realistic at all, your compariosn actually compliments my sentiments - GT hasn't seen more than one full iteration on the PS3, yet it nearly exceeds all three Uncharted titles. If GT6 & GT7 were to be released on PS3, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

I'm just taking this site's numbers. Uncharted series has sold more than two million more games than GT on PS3, so it has been bigger than GT.  You can say that on average, GT games have sold more than Uncharted games, but it's understandable when they are more spaced on time. GT has also been much more bundled than Uncharted, at least in Europe.

And yet despite all that, GT is still the bigger series. Yes, Uncharted is treading upwards, but it will never cross even the lowest GT title (which is currently GT2, since it has finished selling). Plus, since GT5 has yet to finsih selling, there's no telling where it will settle, but two things are for sure - it will at least cross the 9 million mark and Uncharted will never reach anywhere near that. 

In fact, GT5 did all of Uncharted 3's numbers in under a month (and bundles really mean little when both had their fair share of holiday bundling and GT5 still has a massive lead - a lead mainly based on the Gran Turismo name and continued, unparalled driving experience on console, not the bundling). Not much else to say from there and since the topic was taken way off (the OP wasn't talking about sales to begin with), best to drop it there (or PM if you'd like to continue).

You forgot to mention the fact that GT5 had much less hype than Uncharted 3...and still did 5 million+ in a month. 

CGI-Quality said:
dsage01 said:
CGI-Quality said:

And yet despite all that, GT is still the bigger series. Yes, Uncharted is treading upwards, but it will never cross even the lowest GT title (which is currently GT2, since it has finished selling). Plus, since GT5 has yet to finsih selling, there's no telling where it will settle, but two things are for sure - it will at least cross the 9 million mark and Uncharted will never reach anywhere near that. 

In fact, GT5 did all of Uncharted 3's numbers in under a month (and bundles really mean little when both had their fair share of holiday bundling and GT5 still has a massive lead - a lead mainly based on the Gran Turismo name and continued, unparalled driving experience on console, not the bundling). Not much else to say from there and since the topic was taken way off (the OP wasn't talking about sales to begin with), best to drop it there (or PM if you'd like to continue).

You forgot to mention the fact that GT5 had much less hype than Uncharted 3...and still did 5 million+ in a month. 

I'd actually been willing to bet that GT5's hype was still ahead (at least, much more overseas, as opposed to the US).

Off-topic: Where / how ya been? Long time no see. :)

I'm great man, but how are you doing? I never recognized you at first but after taking a good look at your username I remember you very well. I'm not too intrested in games anymore but ever since the new God of War and Halo are releasing...I just had to come back.

Around the Network
pezus said:
dsage01 said:
CGI-Quality said:
Kynes said:
CGI-Quality said:

The hype for GT5 was way bigger than for UC3 where I live at least...

UC3 marketing =  Sony Computer Entertainment UK has spent £5 million ($7.82m) on its marketing push for Uncharted 3, a figure which the platform holder claims makes the game its biggest software launch ever.

http://www.videogamer.com/ps3/uncharted_3/news/sony_uk_spends_5m_on_uncharted_3_advertising.html

No PS3 exlcusive had more marketing than UC3 maybe GT5 had more internet hype but other than that its not true. However GT5 had a budget of 60 million and very little went towards marketing. 

ethomaz said:

GT Academy 2012 Statistics!!!

• Over 1,000,000 unique PSN IDs playing
  • Over 10,000,000 gold trophies attained
  • More than 174,000,000 player retries
  • 111,240,000 miles/178,980,000 km driven – enough to drive from the Earth to the Sun and almost a fifth of the distance back again!

Do you have info for 2011 and 2010 statistics? 

dsage01 said:
ethomaz said:

• 111,240,000 miles/178,980,000 km driven – enough to drive from the Earth to the Sun and almost a fifth of the distance back again!

90,000+ Players Compete in GT Academy 2011 Time Trials

http://www.gtplanet.net/90000-players-compete-in-gt-academy-2011-time-trials/

2012 edition is way bigger.

ethomaz said:
dsage01 said:
ethomaz said:

90,000+ Players Compete in GT Academy 2011 Time Trials

http://www.gtplanet.net/90000-players-compete-in-gt-academy-2011-time-trials/

2012 edition is way bigger.

I meant for the amount of people playing GT in 2010 and 2009. I'm really surprised how 1 million people are still playing in 2012. That's more than what Halo Reach or some of the most popular multiplayer games are doing after 2 years. 

pezus said:
dsage01 said:
pezus said:

The hype for GT5 was way bigger than for UC3 where I live at least...

UC3 marketing =  Sony Computer Entertainment UK has spent £5 million ($7.82m) on its marketing push for Uncharted 3, a figure which the platform holder claims makes the game its biggest software launch ever.

http://www.videogamer.com/ps3/uncharted_3/news/sony_uk_spends_5m_on_uncharted_3_advertising.html

No PS3 exlcusive had more marketing than UC3 maybe GT5 had more internet hype but other than that its not true. However GT5 had a budget of 60 million and very little went towards marketing. 

Uhm, marketing =/= hype. GT5 had much more "real life" hype as well. I saw people expressing their excitement for it in random places. Did not see that for any Uncharted games except from hardcore fans.

Not to mention that you quote UK numbers. I am not from the UK.

Well I'm from Canada and I never saw too many people intrested in GT as opposed Uncharted 3. For GT5 it was only hardcore gamers but everyone seemed to be intrested in Uncharted 3 where I live.