By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What Wii overlooked...

thx1138 said:
You know we have heard the no great 3rd party efforts for at least 2 generations of Nintendo hardware.

3 generations but with different contexts, all of them legitimate.

With the N64, it was overbearing tactics by Nintendo during the SNES years, and the decision to go with 3rd party unfriendly cartridges vs cheap CDs that chased 3rd parties away.

With the GameCube, Nintendo bent over backwards to appeal to third party publishers, but sales suffered in comparison with sales on other consoles - the PS2 had a much larger user base, and the XBox didn't have enough 1st party software, so it's base had to support the 3rd parties. As such the GCN got the least amount of attention, and typically the worst reviews. As the console's sales tailed off, there were fewer and fewer reasons to keep supporting the system.

Now with Wii, Nintendo has a chance to actually put up some decent 3rd party numbers, but the 3rd parties have to do their part. There are many 3rd parties making profit on the system, and a handful of million sellers already. But after 2007, the excuses are pretty much exhausted. Relationships are widely repaired. Wii has the largest user base and is much cheaper to develop for than the competition. If we see *quality* third party titles consistantly fail or underperform on the Wii, then they really have no hope.

You have people purchasing the Wii that bought into the hype and some of them are content to play WiiSports and a couple of other mini game collections. Mario and Sonic perfect example of this it is advertised almost as the successor of WiiSports.

You have Nintendo fans that suck up everything Nintendo and they have bought SMG, Zelda, RE4Wii.

RE4 isn't Nintendo. Nor was RRR or Red Steel (I won't bother with M&S - while technically a Sega title, it stars the Nintendo mascot - this is as much an exception as Soul Calibur 3 was on the GCN).

You also get just about everyone to purchase a game like Guitar Hero.

And the point is...? GH sells well on all systems. It's hard to say that indicates anything about Nintendo gamers.

Around the Network

misterd,

Didnt mean to state RE4Wii was a Nintendo title, but since the GCN was owned mostly by Nintendo fans who purchased RE4 since it was a simply great title many of them picked it up on the Wii as well.

It is hilarious that you think that the GCN 3rd party titles didnt sell well because Xbox fans bought lots of 3rd party titles. That is a new one.

Libraries sell systems not individual games

But it seems no one explains what third party title will actually sell on the Wii, why any game on the Wii would be more attractive than the real gaming consoles' version, and why any developer would use more than 2% of their developers to make a Wii game. The only thing the Wii has over any other console is its controller.

The install base means nothing, as you can see the best selling 3rd party game sold 1.33 million copies, which is a lower attach rate than the "huge failure" Uncharted.

So how am I lying, the biggest hyped games this year are Wii Fit and SSBB (a Mario game.) Am I missing some huge epic third party game that might actual sell 2,000,000 copies lifetime?

I do actually mean everything I said in the OP actually, I dont see the Wii being anything more than a money printer for Nintendo. How the hell can they release 6 Mario games in one year!?

And thats just the first year btw.

I mean you all may say "oh third party devs havent paid the Wii any attention." What signs are even there that make you they will even sell? Im not saying the Wii will stop selling, im saying only Nintendo will make games that will sell on it. So its not stealing third party developers, and no one who actually enjoyed real gaming will care when games like GTA, Madden, and all the other AAA PS3 titles come out.

The Wii isn't even a real gaming console, as we have referred to it in the past few years, its nothing more than hardware that plays all 42 Mario games (thats the pace were on track for by year 7.) and Different Wii games.

What reason is there to even believe otherwise?

^^
You do realized that all of this has been discussed over and over again. Right???
It's not our fault you don't pay attention or just choose to ignore it. Either way, I'm too lazy right now...

Around the Network
Jandre02 said:
But it seems no one explains what third party title will actually sell on the Wii, why any game on the Wii would be more attractive than the real gaming consoles' version, and why any developer would use more than 2% of their developers to make a Wii game. The only thing the Wii has over any other console is its controller.

The install base means nothing, as you can see the best selling 3rd party game sold 1.33 million copies, which is a lower attach rate than the "huge failure" Uncharted.

So how am I lying, the biggest hyped games this year are Wii Fit and SSBB (a Mario game.) Am I missing some huge epic third party game that might actual sell 2,000,000 copies lifetime?

Are you for real? Surely you can't be serious?

As is pointed out a million times by now: attach rates mean NOTHING. Uncharted at least costed about 4 times more to produce than RE4: Wii (I assume you mean RE4 when you talk about the best third party seller on Wii). And guess what? RE4 sold way better than Uncharted. What does that mean? That RE4 on Wii probably made Capcom HUGE profits, whereas Uncharted may just turn break even, if Sony's lucky.

Second: Smash Brothers is a Mario game now? Please explain this to me because I really don't get it.