By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Lets Boinc!!!

Did you download this program?

Yes 5 55.56%

no 4 44.44%

Total:9

Please add Boinc to your computer. You can help Find cures for disease's and solve massive world and science problems. Basically your making your computer part of many, making a super computer.  You get to choose the program and also when and how you want it to run. thanks for your time.

Please download and help.

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/

If you answered yes above, Tell us what you think? what programs did you join? What teams have you joined or thinking to joining? Did you create a team?  

If you answered no above, Why not?

Around the Network

I'm currently running
Eistein@home , Test4theory@home(Team USA), LHC@home 1.0, Milkyway@home, SETI@home.

Milkyway@home I earned the highest credits out of the above with 18,800 Credits. YAAAAAA!! Nerd dance time.

Moved to General Discussion. Announcements is for site announcements and ought to be admin only.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Kantor said:
Moved to General Discussion. Announcements is for site announcements and ought to be admin only.

My bad, was  not sure what to put it under.

I only running SETI@ at times.

Around the Network

I don't run these things because I see little evidence they actually work. With Folding@Home, they have 96 papers published due to the data, and most of them have low citation counts. This is from the work of tens of thousands of computers for several years. To the participants it's more of a game for points than any real scientific advancement. The overhead of packaging, distributing and accounting for units of work is much more than when using supercomputer time.

Basically my computer's contribution does less than donating the electricity cost to a research charity.

Millenium said:

Einstein@ Actually gives out certificates if you find gravitational waves. Pretty cool

Soleron said:

I don't run these things because I see little evidence they actually work. With Folding@Home, they have 96 papers published due to the data, and most of them have low citation counts. This is from the work of tens of thousands of computers for several years. To the participants it's more of a game for points than any real scientific advancement. The overhead of packaging, distributing and accounting for units of work is much more than when using supercomputer time.

Basically my computer's contribution does less than donating the electricity cost to a research charity.

Actually people get awards and many other things for findings. This stuff is not going to happen over night. It takes time. Just the time I have been using this program, which is about 6 months, I have seen a lot of advancement and also read notices of what the findings where and who found them . See pic above.

spaceguy said:
Millenium said:

Einstein@ Actually gives out certificates if you find gravitational waves. Pretty cool

I don't mean this in any sort of mean way, but I honestly couldn't care less about certificates or awards (Although money would be nice ). I run the program because I care about advancing the human possibility to discover other races (If they exist), contact them possibily, and even going into space in a more significant way.

Millenium said:
spaceguy said:
Millenium said:

I don't mean this in any sort of mean way, but I honestly couldn't care less about certificates or awards (Although money would be nice ). I run the program because I care about advancing the human possibility to discover other races (If they exist), contact them possibily, and even going into space in a more significant way.

I don't care about that either but just adds to it. I would love to hang something like that on my wall. Many programs don't give things out and I'm fine with that. I run 5 Programs and all about what I care about. All the programs have to do with space in some way or another. This all helps space travel in some way or in some form.  I'm sure other races exist but where? is the question. Our galaxy is 100,000 light years across and just to find some race 100 light years away would be hard enough.  To think there is  not intelligent life out there is the height of irrogance. To many stars to not think so. our galaxy  has 100,000,000,000 With a "B"and we are one galaxy out of billions, So the possibilities are well with in our favor.