By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Is "the rich getting richer" a problem?

drakesfortune said:
Chark said:
There exists a diminishing return on the benefits one rich individual can have on society. 

NONSENSE!  Says who?  You?  Your liberal professors?  Nonsense.  That's a statement with nothing but wind behind it.  That's like me saying all butterflies are orange, because that's what I think.  Or all teachers are bad.

Bull!  Some rich people get to a point where adding money to their pool doesn't help anyone.  MOST rich people aren't idiots throwing their dollars under the mattress though!  Most rich people have almost ALL of their wealth invested in stocks or bonds (funding our ridiculous deficit).  How many rich people do you know that just sit on a big pile of cash under their mattress?  NONE do that.  Even if they have it sitting in a bank account, are you so clueless about economics that you think that the money is really sitting in the bank in a vault somewhere?  What does the bank do with the money they take in?  They loan it to MAROONS like you to buy things like houses, or to small businesses to finance the creation of new wealth.  If the rich guy invests it in stocks, as most do, then that money is being put to use by companies to create wealth and grow jobs.

The idea that the rich getting richer is bad for you is so incredibly stupid.  It's the drivel that comes out of leftist universities today, and it's the reason so many people are clueless about economics.  Wealth redistribution is the WORST way to manage a nation's wealth.  It flushes it down the toiled, subtracting from the wealth of ALL people.  Whereas a rich guy investing his money, or sitting on it in a bank, is benefiting the wealth CREATORS in our society.   

Aye carumba.  This is what we get for not teaching economics in schools.  We have a nation of economically retarded individuals.

So, since you are heavily into this Social Darwinist view of things (everyone is an unconnected island to themself), feeling there is no downside to the whole "Rich gets richer" and don't feel anything needs to be done to keep it in check, like rich people practicing philanthropy, do you care to tell people here why there aren't any isses with the Matthew effect, which is "the rich get richer"?

Here is an article on the Matthew Effect, you can go and refute: http://open.salon.com/blog/danagram/2011/09/05/what_are_matthew_effects

Around the Network
drakesfortune said:
Chark said:
There exists a diminishing return on the benefits one rich individual can have on society. 

NONSENSE!  Says who?  You?  Your liberal professors?  Nonsense.  That's a statement with nothing but wind behind it.  That's like me saying all butterflies are orange, because that's what I think.  Or all teachers are bad.

Bull!  Some rich people get to a point where adding money to their pool doesn't help anyone.  MOST rich people aren't idiots throwing their dollars under the mattress though!  Most rich people have almost ALL of their wealth invested in stocks or bonds (funding our ridiculous deficit).  How many rich people do you know that just sit on a big pile of cash under their mattress?  NONE do that.  Even if they have it sitting in a bank account, are you so clueless about economics that you think that the money is really sitting in the bank in a vault somewhere?  What does the bank do with the money they take in?  They loan it to MAROONS like you to buy things like houses, or to small businesses to finance the creation of new wealth.  If the rich guy invests it in stocks, as most do, then that money is being put to use by companies to create wealth and grow jobs.

The idea that the rich getting richer is bad for you is so incredibly stupid.  It's the drivel that comes out of leftist universities today, and it's the reason so many people are clueless about economics.  Wealth redistribution is the WORST way to manage a nation's wealth.  It flushes it down the toiled, subtracting from the wealth of ALL people.  Whereas a rich guy investing his money, or sitting on it in a bank, is benefiting the wealth CREATORS in our society.   

Aye carumba.  This is what we get for not teaching economics in schools.  We have a nation of economically retarded individuals.

Thank you for all the kind words. Notice in your first sentance after you say "Bull!" you are supporting my statment of diminishing returns based on the individual involved. I never stated that the returns were static across the board and as a diminishing value there will always exist some benefit. The concept is that higher returns can sometimes be acheived from other individuals who aren't rich. Acheiving those returns is often addressed through a system of loans, as stated.

I stated that the rich getting richer effect is good, not bad. Also, isn't it a tad unfair to generalize the education system as leftist? My univesity happens to be vastly conservative and I was taught traditonal economics and non-keynsian modern economics, after the fed essentially. 

Progressive taxes are not the same as wealth redistribution and I never claimed that was what I felt should be done economically. The United States federal income tax has always been progressive.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

There should be riches and poor, but it becomes a problem with the gap becomes so big that results in many problems.

The rich will use/buy the law to give themselves advantages.
The law becomes corrupt and becomes a tool to herd the general population.
The poor is so poor that they got nothing to lose, resulting in crimes.

The rich fear the poor.
The poor fear the law.
The law fear the rich.

^ very good points in a short time

I would like to add that there is a difference in "riches" and "wealth". So it is necissarry to differintiate between the two in this discussion to avoid some confusion.

The only thing that I could add is that if you look at various points in history and the economic ebbs and flows, there does seem to be significant turmoil on the masses in points where the disparity of "wealth" is great.
Once there can be an application of wealth (i.e. mass production of the automobile) than you can see a benefit to it and microecenomic advances can be attributed thusly.

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

Yes Rich, it's an intrinsic problem with capitalism and the only solution is heavy taxes on the very rich.

Around the Network

I'm especially pissed off at the taxman today, as I've just found out that my airport tax will be greater than the fare on my flight to Hong Kong.

Andrespetmonkey said:
Well I guess rich people don't just sit on their money, and their spending will naturally create jobs, which is beneficial for society as a whole.

Or I have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to economics and should get the hell out of this thread

The problem wtih this mentatilty is that jobs are created as a result of the middle and lower class having more money to spend. Job's don't exist if there are not markets for the goods and services that X company creates. If that feedback loop fails, which it has in America, then the rich aren't going to spend money to expand buisnesses and therefore no new private sector jobs become available.

A common misconception is that wealthy people spend more money on goods and services than the middle class do and data has shown that the average wealthy person still only buys the about the same amount of product as the average middle class person, so the wealthy are holding more money while only spending about the same amount of money. Given that the wealthy are are less than 10% of the American demographic (this includes the super wealthy 1% on down to people making around 250k a year)

Here's a TED conference on economic growth, some of which I have paraphrased here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIhOXCgSunc  that should suffice for an introdcution to that argument that the middle class are the job creators.

So the short answer is, the rich getting richer is not a problem as long as they are getting rich off investments made in the middle class.

And don't worry, in this paralyzing mess that is todays economies, none of us really understand what is going on. :)

-- Nothing is nicer than seeing your PS3 on an HDTV through an HDMI cable for the first time.

Chark said:
drakesfortune said:
Chark said:

Thank you for all the kind words. Notice in your first sentance after you say "Bull!" you are supporting my statment of diminishing returns based on the individual involved. I never stated that the returns were static across the board and as a diminishing value there will always exist some benefit. The concept is that higher returns can sometimes be acheived from other individuals who aren't rich. Acheiving those returns is often addressed through a system of loans, as stated.

I stated that the rich getting richer effect is good, not bad. Also, isn't it a tad unfair to generalize the education system as leftist? My univesity happens to be vastly conservative and I was taught traditonal economics and non-keynsian modern economics, after the fed essentially. 

Progressive taxes are not the same as wealth redistribution and I never claimed that was what I felt should be done economically. The United States federal income tax has always been progressive.

There is one part of this argument that really doesn't make sense to me, so help me out here. The rich, no doubt, invest money into stocks and bonds, and that money is in turn turned into loans that are often taken by the middle class; but if the middle class debt to income ratio is high (which is the case in America) then it doesn't matter how much money there is to loan to the middle class. Loans will get rejected based on this.

With that being said, there is nothing wrong with some wealth being distributed as loans in this system, it is one way that middle class prospers, but this does not help the overall economy, which there is data that indicates that the average wealthy person spends in the same range on services and goods as the average middle class consumer. When you consider that gains for the wealthy have raised steadily and substatially over the last 30 years, and wages for the middle class have stagnated over that same period of time, a problem with the current implementation of trickle down economics starts to show its flaws. A job that paid 45K in 1980 only pays marginally better today while if the rate of increase that existed in the 1970's held true then that job would pay around 94k a year, which would maintain with the rate of inflation.)

The point I'm making is not that rich shouldn't get richer, and its not that the rich don't invest in the middle class, its that they are not investing evenly. Placing money in stocks and bonds, does invest money into companies which could be used for job creation; however, if consumer demand is low why would that company create jobs that only hurt their bottom line? That would be a waste of invested money. Instead if those investments were placed into employee salaries, then the middle class that would profit from that would be able to invest in loans, services, and goods, which would in turn spark comany growth, job creation, and higher bottom lines for these companies.

-- Nothing is nicer than seeing your PS3 on an HDTV through an HDMI cable for the first time.

yea the problem is money has gravity, it atracts more money

market regulations and taxation has to keep that in check, because too much money accumulating on some few individuals is bad for the rest

Mr Khan said:
Chark said:
There exists a diminishing return on the benefits one rich individual can have on society. While they are more apt and able to finance investments after a certain point money can just stagnate or worse be used for things harmful to society, whereas a ton of money could easily accomplish negative outcomes. This all depends on the person of course.

The "rich get richer" effect is about opportunity and by itself is not an issue but if opportunity is loss on the least of us tyranny is established, class systems, oppression. This concept in video games, well I suppose MMORPGs are a prime example. It is not bad there because everyone is along for the ride, able to progress on equal terms as everyone else without much or any negative effects if you screw up. The richer effect is good, poverty is bad.

Economically theories can point to unchecked wealth as having the greatest benefit but we are complex creatures and certainly do not always make the best decisions. This is why I support a progressive tax system. It allows people to become wealthy while ensuring an amount is giving to society. The trick is proper governmental spending. There might be some investment efficiency loss but if it creates better infrastructure to maintain opportunity for everyone it is better for society.

This is a good answer. Give the wealthy enough money and they'll inevitably spend it on something bad eventually, as no matter how finance-savvy and deserving one may be, if the risk is low enough (because they have enough money) they'll invest in everything, especially the stuff that is otherwise risky enough to merit avoidance but has high yields, but these bad investments breed toxicity.

A rising tide tends to float all boats, but responsibility needs to be insured.

There is an inherant problem to the statement.  Poor people inevitably spend money on something bad, too. Lottery tickets? NASCAR comemorative plates? Many in the middle class can do it too.

If anything, the inverse is true. People tend to become rich by investing properly, saving properly, and spending as little as possible. If you look at lottery winners and bankruptcy, you see a huge issue in the fact that many people are poor because they make horrible choices with money if they obtain it by luck.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.