By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Future Mario games

I was looking at some NSMB2 and NSMBU and started thinking they need to add some new playable characters to the Mario universe. Playing as toad is just really unappelling. I loved how in SMB2 you could play as peach and how each character played differently from each other. I was hoping they would do a sequal to this at some point but they never did.

Mario games are cool because the platforming is top notch but I want the option to play as someone else. I stumbled on this picture some drew of what he wanted from a future mario game and I loved it. Show Mario fighting someone besides Bowser for once. I mean Bowsers kids have to grow up some time.

And we all know Mario's banging Peach and Luigi bang Daisy so why not add the ability to play as Mario and Luigi's sons? This picture just shows how cool it could be.

Around the Network

Very nice artwork, whoever made it! I like how they used my favorite koopling. The reason Nintendo doesn't really talk about Super Mario Bros 2 very much is because it isn't really a Mario game, or at least, it didn't start out that way. That is why it is so unique compared to the other ones. It would be interesting if they brought back Wart as a boss for once, but I doubt they will. I like how you say they have to grow up eventually, but this is not the case at all. Mario, Bowser, Peach, etc. will never age. They are not real after all. Plus, Mario will never get more than a kiss from Peach. lol

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

They can de-age (baby mario and luigi) but Nintendo would never allow a Mario or Luigi son or daughter.
With good reason. It would lost the magic. Good videogame characters don't need evolution. Evolution always lead to an end - or the famous "back to basics" or reboot. Mario never needed any of the sort, thankfully. Long live saving the princess.

But in Partners in Time they did more or less what you want. Adult Mario and Luigi fought alongside their "sons", themselves as babies. Not the same, but it felt like it, them protecting the babies like parents.

Come on. We all know that people who buy Nintendo games and systems prefer it simple. Adding new characters with their own unique moves and abilities would be very confusing. It would also be a waste of resources since everybody who knows how to play using Mario and Luigi feels safe using those familiar characters and wouldn't use the new ones because of their fear of making mistakes.

Remember: You can actually die in this game. It's not worth the risk.

The Mario universe is already bloated with lame, useless characters as it is. Besides, it's not like anyone buys the games for Mario's searing wit or Luigi's charming personality. Though making Luigi and the other playable characters play just a little bit different from Mario would be a nice touch, I guess.

What they should focus on expanding is not the character roster, but the universe itself. (And by that I don't mean 'take the series into space'. Been there, done that.) Give us more of the Mushroom Kingdom to explore, not just the same ol' desert and snow worlds.

Around the Network

I don't mean adding stupid amount of unappealing characters like how Sonic does.

One thing I liked was that donkey Kong aged. The Donkey Kong Jr from the original game is the Donkey Kong we played as in the Snes games. Now we play as Donkey Kong III in DKCR and nobody seems to be outraged by that.(Though this proves that Diddy Kong isn't actually a kid but an adult... weird)

Another thing is it would only be an option. When I play DKCR with my friends little brother he always wants to play as Diddy Kong. It's a known fact that kids want to identify with other child heroes. Sales of the Batman comics drastically increased after the addition of Robin. This success is the reason why most superhero now has some sort of child sidekick.

When I played SMW as a kid I would choose two players make Mario die and then play as Luigi for the rest of the game just because my older brother told me he was the younger brother.

I admit I don't really want to see Mario turn into an old man like in this picture I always thought of Mario as a 32 year old man. Maybe in the future game he can be 42 with a ten year old son. As long as they don't make his son have some sort of annoying personality younger kids should resonate with him like with Donkey Kong's kid and grandchild.

pokeclaudel said:
I don't mean adding stupid amount of unappealing characters like how Sonic does.

One thing I liked was that donkey Kong aged. The Donkey Kong Jr from the original game is the Donkey Kong we played as in the Snes games. Now we play as Donkey Kong III in DKCR and nobody seems to be outraged by that.(Though this proves that Diddy Kong isn't actually a kid but an adult... weird)

Another thing is it would only be an option. When I play DKCR with my friends little brother he always wants to play as Diddy Kong. It's a known fact that kids want to identify with other child heroes. Sales of the Batman comics drastically increased after the addition of Robin. This success is the reason why most superhero now has some sort of child sidekick.

When I played SMW as a kid I would choose two players make Mario die and then play as Luigi for the rest of the game just because my older brother told me he was the younger brother.

I admit I don't really want to see Mario turn into an old man like in this picture I always thought of Mario as a 32 year old man. Maybe in the future game he can be 42 with a ten year old son. As long as they don't make his son have some sort of annoying personality younger kids should resonate with him like with Donkey Kong's kid and grandchild.

That would imply he married Peach or something... Nintendo would never do that. Even with DK is not entirely sure what you said. Nintendo never said Cranky is the original DK or that DK jr is today's DK.

But different characters with different abilities already exists too.

You just have to buy a different game... or not in the case of Mario 64 DS, super paper mario and others

I've gotta say I don't see 2D Mario evolving all that much, I cant see how Nintendo can innovate that much other then to add online coop and multiplayer. Once their is four player online coop it will be pretty difficult for Nintendo to innovate much further. I'm guessing Nintendo will be able to innovate with 3D Mario!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

All I really want is for Waluigi and Wario to be the 3rd a 4th playable character.

I think that would be interesting as they team up to defeat Bowser's evil ideals. (They could also make the way Wario and Waluigi fight a bit different than Mario and Luigi.)

Joelcool7 said:
I've gotta say I don't see 2D Mario evolving all that much, I cant see how Nintendo can innovate that much other then to add online coop and multiplayer. Once their is four player online coop it will be pretty difficult for Nintendo to innovate much further. I'm guessing Nintendo will be able to innovate with 3D Mario!

I wouldnt even call it innovation, not when 2d platformers that released years ago already had the option to play co-op and Ninty just put out a game a few years ago that did that and by the looks of it the new one might not have online MP either. Its more like catching up