By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Mafia Round 42 - Game of Thrones

Kantor said:
Smeags said:
Ugh... the universe of Game of Thrones is so expansive. I wish I had HBO so I could watch it.

http://www.amazon.com/Books-Thrones-Feast-Crows-Swords/dp/0345529057/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339358991&sr=8-1&keywords=song+of+ice+and+fire+box+set

I imagine that's cheaper than a month's subscription to HBO, and it goes further into the story as well.

Question time!

1. Has George R. R. Martin finished the series?

2. Does each book represent a season?

I'm reading the GoT Wiki right now, and it seems pretty neat. I might take your advice and give them a read once summer classes are over with.

Around the Network
Smeags said:
Ugh... the universe of Game of Thrones is so expansive. I wish I had HBO so I could watch it.

You can always watch it for free on Curirca if you're not, you know, highly principled or anything.

Though like Kantor, I recommend reading the books first.

happydolphin said:

A poor scumhunter would argue with you. I will not pretend that Rol's trap failed to spur discussion, but the aim of a good scumhunter is to lay traps which stir discussion towards discovering the anti-town alignment of a player. Hatmoza's response to you fails to highlight that important property of an effective scumhunter trap, a standard against which Rol's trap falls short.

the trap of mentioning someone who isn't playing is a poor trap. It's much more of a made you look then a decent trap.

Kantor said:
theprof00 said:
hatmoza said:
I'm confused prof, you specifically said Kantor defended you, but you recently confess that you made ANOTHER mistake? And it was actually mantle who defended you?

I understand a mistake rattles your cage, but once that subsides, please contribute your thoughts to what you think about mantle defending me.

Wouldn't he want a mislynch if he were mafia?

Unless you're mafia too, of course.

Scum strategy is to get OTHER TOWNIES to mislynch townies with a little delicate finesse. It's not about hopping on the bandwagon. That is the difference between foolish scum and experienced scum.

Just look abck at last game! I even gave you a reference. Wonk came in to 'catch up' and focused on me the entire time, and never once accused me of anything. He just brought up points that TOWNIES might find suspicious.

mantlepiecek said:
Wonktonodi said:

why would mario revenge vote prof over last game?

I think you are useing the term too broodly. For the most parrt in mafia a revenge vote is voting for someone who voted you. Or who did all but vote you.

I see. I didn't mean it that way though. I thought revenge-voting was voting for revenge. I had to call it something.

Revenge over what? What would cause people to vote for me? You yourself were practically saved BY the nameclaims.

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
Oh and Hat, Kantor has been defending me. I simply confused the two between that specific post.

You have a very loose definition of "defending". I was pointing out that you weren't necessarily taken in by Rol's trick.

I see no reason to do so now that you're proposing houseclaims. It's Day One for god's sake.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

theprof00 said:

First names:
Alys, Jon, Lysa, Petyr, Steffon, Barbrey, Edmyn, Eddard, Rodrick, Alannys, Kevan, Melessa, Rickard
(Stevron seems derived from Steven but it's different enough that I'll call it a different name instead of a funny spelling. Likewise Tommen and Thomas/Tommy.)

Alys (Alice), Jon (actual spelling of a name IRL), Lysa (Lisa), Steffon (Stephon), Barbrey (not an IRL name), Edmyn (not an IRL name), Eddard (not an IRL name), Rodrick (actual spelling of IRL name), Alannys (Alanis), Kevan (Kevin), Melessa (not an IRL name), Rickard (not an IRL name)

So sure, Lysa, Alys, Steffon, Alannys, Kevan are funny spellings.

Furthermore, out of those characters, Alys, Steffon, Alannys, Barbrey, Edmyn, Rodrick, Melessa, Rickard aren't even in the show, and most of them are dead. On the whole, your entire list is very VERY minor characters with the exception of Jon Snow and Eddard Stark.

Second, it is exactly my point that you are trying to be clever.

Third, you've been taunting and dancing the whole game. Don't pretend like you're starting now.

Fourth, yes it is very scummy to just talk about something that others think is scummy without so much as putting your opinion out there regarding alignment. It is a way to just bring it to attention because you (not you, but 'you understood' http://www.english-grammar-revolution.com/imperative-sentence.html) think it is scummy enough to garner votes, but are worried about calling someone you believe to be a townie, scum.

It is a slightly more complex version of not voting for a townie so that you can never be called out later for mislynching.

Well apparently I have to be clever to make up for your lack of cleverness! 

Melessa isn't an alternate spelling of a real name?  Melissa!  Eddard - Edward, Edmyn - Edmund, Rickard (well, I thought it equated to Richard, but I'll give you that it's more like the Stevron thing). 

Sorry about the highly-unlikely-to-be-present names; I just went down the list. 

I thought I would give my thoughts about what you were doing, even though I had not gone so far as to assign a probability of you being scum based on the fact that you had done it.  Frankly, I'm not fond of it, as you should know already, but that doesn't mean you're not doing it with good intentions.  In the case of the QT, I have no reason to doubt you are making notes, either in your own thing or the mafia QT, but since we'll never see it it's kind of useless for you to tell us about it instead of letting us just assume you're writing notes on your computer or whatever. 

Your call for information is similar in that it's something dramatic that you tried previously, but it is different in that it could serve a greater nefarious purpose than simply trying to win the town's trust. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Smeags said:
Kantor said:
Smeags said:

http://www.amazon.com/Books-Thrones-Feast-Crows-Swords/dp/0345529057/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339358991&sr=8-1&keywords=song+of+ice+and+fire+box+set

I imagine that's cheaper than a month's subscription to HBO, and it goes further into the story as well.

Question time!

1. Has George R. R. Martin finished the series?

2. Does each book represent a season?

I'm reading the GoT Wiki right now, and it seems pretty neat. I might take your advice and give them a read once summer classes are over with.

He hasn't, no. He's written five books out of a planned seven.

Seasons 1 and 2 correspond to Books 1 and 2, but Seasons 3 and 4 will both be taken from Storm of Swords, book 3.

Tip: Don't read the back cover of later books until you've finished the earlier ones. Some pretty major spoilers there.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

theprof00 said:
Oh and Hat, Kantor has been defending me. I simply confused the two between that specific post.

yeah yeah I realized that. Give me a second while I reread the incident to respond to your previous question

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

Final-Fan said:
theprof00 said:

First names:
Alys, Jon, Lysa, Petyr, Steffon, Barbrey, Edmyn, Eddard, Rodrick, Alannys, Kevan, Melessa, Rickard
(Stevron seems derived from Steven but it's different enough that I'll call it a different name instead of a funny spelling. Likewise Tommen and Thomas/Tommy.)

Alys (Alice), Jon (actual spelling of a name IRL), Lysa (Lisa), Steffon (Stephon), Barbrey (not an IRL name), Edmyn (not an IRL name), Eddard (not an IRL name), Rodrick (actual spelling of IRL name), Alannys (Alanis), Kevan (Kevin), Melessa (not an IRL name), Rickard (not an IRL name)

So sure, Lysa, Alys, Steffon, Alannys, Kevan are funny spellings.

Furthermore, out of those characters, Alys, Steffon, Alannys, Barbrey, Edmyn, Rodrick, Melessa, Rickard aren't even in the show, and most of them are dead. On the whole, your entire list is very VERY minor characters with the exception of Jon Snow and Eddard Stark.

Second, it is exactly my point that you are trying to be clever.

Third, you've been taunting and dancing the whole game. Don't pretend like you're starting now.

Fourth, yes it is very scummy to just talk about something that others think is scummy without so much as putting your opinion out there regarding alignment. It is a way to just bring it to attention because you (not you, but 'you understood' http://www.english-grammar-revolution.com/imperative-sentence.html) think it is scummy enough to garner votes, but are worried about calling someone you believe to be a townie, scum.

It is a slightly more complex version of not voting for a townie so that you can never be called out later for mislynching.

Well apparently I have to be clever to make up for your lack of cleverness! 

Melessa isn't an alternate spelling of a real name?  Melissa!  Eddard - Edward, Edmyn - Edmund, Rickard (well, I thought it equated to Richard, but I'll give you that it's more like the Stevron thing). 

Sorry about the highly-unlikely-to-be-present names; I just went down the list. 

I thought I would give my thoughts about what you were doing, even though I had not gone so far as to assign a probability of you being scum based on the fact that you had done it.  Frankly, I'm not fond of it, as you should know already, but that doesn't mean you're not doing it with good intentions.  In the case of the QT, I have no reason to doubt you are making notes, either in your own thing or the mafia QT, but since we'll never see it it's kind of useless for you to tell us about it instead of letting us just assume you're writing notes on your computer or whatever. 

Your call for information is similar in that it's something dramatic that you tried previously, but it is different in that it could serve a greater nefarious purpose than simply trying to win the town's trust. 

Well, then I apologize but those names do not sound phoenetically the same Lisa and Lysa are pronounced the same but have different funny spellings. Eddard is not a funny spelling, Edwerd is.

No need to apologize, you're backpedaling and giving me terrible evidence that I'm wrong. 'There must be SOMETHING to prove him wrong'. Right?
You simply went down the list of names that you are not. Correct? I think so.

But I digress. The point isn't What your name is. The point is that you were dancing. It doesn't matter what your name is.

And no, it's not useless that I write notes in my QT. It time stamps my posts, and keeps potentially off-topic and paranoid ideas out of the thread. It is a good resource for sifting through my own thoughts, while simultaneously proving that I was right.

I also noted that the fact that you knew exactly why I was using it (to fap to later) shows that you have much more insight into my alignment than you're letting on.