By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Discussing PS4 hardware and manufacturing price

walsufnir said:
VGKing said:
walsufnir said:
VGKing said:

I see next-gen being a repeat of this gen. Except this time Sony and Microsoft will have aligned launches and there won't be a $599 console on the market. This tmie people will actually have a choice.

you are implying this gen people didn't have a choice? ridiculous, sorry. you *always* have a choice. and this gen most people decided to buy the wii and a lot (and more than expected) to buy an x360.

At $599, the PS3 really wasn't a choice for most. Especially not kids.
Sames goes for the $400 Xbox 360 but to a lesser degree.

considering the huge fan-base sony had in the beginning of this gen, i think the price-advantage got off almost instantly. and kids? how do they have a choice? relatives buy consoles for kids, not the kids themselves.

You never asked for something for Christmas? I know I have.

@bold
No, that price advantage is still hurting them today. Xbox 360 is still cheaper than a PS3, and Microsoft could easily drop it even lower. PS3 is finally profitable(starting last year?) so another price cut is out of the question and unnecessary until PS4 launch.

That huge fan-base coming from the PS2 did however save the PS3. A price that high would have killed off any other console.

Around the Network
ganoncrotch said:
walsufnir said:
ganoncrotch said:
walsufnir said:
VGKing said:

I see next-gen being a repeat of this gen. Except this time Sony and Microsoft will have aligned launches and there won't be a $599 console on the market. This tmie people will actually have a choice.

you are implying this gen people didn't have a choice? ridiculous, sorry. you *always* have a choice. and this gen most people decided to buy the wii and a lot (and more than expected) to buy an x360.

aye, I never had a gun held to my head when I went and bought my Wii or my 360 at the start of this generation I just had the thought of how cool the wii was going to be introducting motion control and how awesome it was going to be to complete the original Halo trilogy. The only reason the playstation 3 wasn't a choice for me was there was no draw to buy it at launch, you gotta have something like Halo3 coming to finish off a story to make people want your system, I predict Ms will definately be doing that for the Xbox720 launch with Halo 5 in the pipeline for it.

As for Sony learning what the market wants.... now I love um and I love some of the stuff they make, but my god when sony thinks they got a good thing they stick to it til the bitter bitter end, just have awful thoughts of the Ps4 launching with the Dualshock 4 and Ridge racer ... 12? I dunno what number it's at but yeah when Sony finds a winner they literally ride it into the ground.

well, it seems that one thing is for sure in this market: nothing is for sure. who would have thought this outcome at the beginning of this generation, when taking a look to last two gens? noone. next gen it all begins again. but what i like with this gen and what i have said several times: it's the *competition* that is important. i don't get it why people are p***ed when their favorite console is not first: do the games get worse? no, of course not. it's almost definitely the opposite: the studios developing exclusives put even more effort in their games.

While I agree with you that competition is absolutely needed for a market to move forwards I do think that being in first spot in terms of sales has massive advantages, if your console has only sold 1/4 that of the competitions then a 3rd party developer knows there is effectively 4 times less people to sell to on your system and as such will more than likely optimize the game to run smoothly on the system with the bigger group of people to sell to.

good point! but being first does not mean excellent 3rd-party-support as wii showed us. looking at modern warfare 3 on wii, this was... well, most definitely you know ;) but ok, the wii is somehow in its own competition as almost all nintendo-consoles are because their games sell most on their systems. 3rd-party is always a good amount behind sales from nintendo-games.

regarding ps360 the competition was really exciting this gen while exclusives pushed both systems to their limit (which is reached now, of course) and 3rd-party by now put effort in their games to sell the most on both systems. a perfect situation for gamers.

VGKing said:
walsufnir said:
VGKing said:
walsufnir said:
VGKing said:

At $599, the PS3 really wasn't a choice for most. Especially not kids.
Sames goes for the $400 Xbox 360 but to a lesser degree.

considering the huge fan-base sony had in the beginning of this gen, i think the price-advantage got off almost instantly. and kids? how do they have a choice? relatives buy consoles for kids, not the kids themselves.

You never asked for something for Christmas? I know I have.

@bold
No, that price advantage is still hurting them today. Xbox 360 is still cheaper than a PS3, and Microsoft could easily drop it even lower. PS3 is finally profitable(starting last year?) so another price cut is out of the question and unnecessary until PS4 launch.

That huge fan-base coming from the PS2 did however save the PS3. A price that high would have killed off any other console.

1. of course i asked for something for christmas: master system, genesis... ;) but still my parents bought the systems, of course.

2. yes, price is of course an argument. but this topic is related to sony as a whole. their image is intentionally "premium" in some way. they are almost always more expensive than competition (just look at their televisions). but it's ok that is part of their image and strategy.

3. yes, i totally agree.

walsufnir said:
ganoncrotch said:
walsufnir said:
ganoncrotch said:
walsufnir said:
VGKing said:

aye, I never had a gun held to my head when I went and bought my Wii or my 360 at the start of this generation I just had the thought of how cool the wii was going to be introducting motion control and how awesome it was going to be to complete the original Halo trilogy. The only reason the playstation 3 wasn't a choice for me was there was no draw to buy it at launch, you gotta have something like Halo3 coming to finish off a story to make people want your system, I predict Ms will definately be doing that for the Xbox720 launch with Halo 5 in the pipeline for it.

As for Sony learning what the market wants.... now I love um and I love some of the stuff they make, but my god when sony thinks they got a good thing they stick to it til the bitter bitter end, just have awful thoughts of the Ps4 launching with the Dualshock 4 and Ridge racer ... 12? I dunno what number it's at but yeah when Sony finds a winner they literally ride it into the ground.

well, it seems that one thing is for sure in this market: nothing is for sure. who would have thought this outcome at the beginning of this generation, when taking a look to last two gens? noone. next gen it all begins again. but what i like with this gen and what i have said several times: it's the *competition* that is important. i don't get it why people are p***ed when their favorite console is not first: do the games get worse? no, of course not. it's almost definitely the opposite: the studios developing exclusives put even more effort in their games.

While I agree with you that competition is absolutely needed for a market to move forwards I do think that being in first spot in terms of sales has massive advantages, if your console has only sold 1/4 that of the competitions then a 3rd party developer knows there is effectively 4 times less people to sell to on your system and as such will more than likely optimize the game to run smoothly on the system with the bigger group of people to sell to.

good point! but being first does not mean excellent 3rd-party-support as wii showed us. looking at modern warfare 3 on wii, this was... well, most definitely you know ;) but ok, the wii is somehow in its own competition as almost all nintendo-consoles are because their games sell most on their systems. 3rd-party is always a good amount behind sales from nintendo-games.

regarding ps360 the competition was really exciting this gen while exclusives pushed both systems to their limit (which is reached now, of course) and 3rd-party by now put effort in their games to sell the most on both systems. a perfect situation for gamers.

very off topic but I actually loved MW3 on the wii :D I got the crossbow attachment from Links Crossbow Training and it does actually make for a great game if you sniping out on a huge tv.... But that's just me! Sales suggest you are right about it sucking :D

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

ganoncrotch said:
walsufnir said:
ganoncrotch said:
walsufnir said:
ganoncrotch said:
walsufnir said:
VGKing said:

very off topic but I actually loved MW3 on the wii :D I got the crossbow attachment from Links Crossbow Training and it does actually make for a great game if you sniping out on a huge tv.... But that's just me! Sales suggest you are right about it sucking :D

believe it or not but i only got to know of the port when i saw a video of it on youtube which was by mid of this year ;) but yes, way off-topic. :D

Around the Network

Just reading this is hilarious... Let's just say it wasn't that powerful... And didn't use a cell processor.

kowenicki said:
PlaystaionGamer said:

Price NEEDS to be $399 or LESS.
they may loose a tiny amount on every unit at first but that money will come back with a huge install base.
Release with Uncharted 4, GT6 & Killzone 4
- t2 of them will be MAJOR sellers and Killzone will sell a ton potential being the first FPS. pure profit will be made from all 3 titles.

Release at over $399 would be a huge mistake. The compatition will be cheaper and the brand is already hurt. Sony need the Ps4 to be big. it wont be at $500.

remeber the state Sony is in right now. they cant have the PS4 sell like the PS3. they need PS1/PS2 market Domanance/ Sales

Wow.. you better brace yourself for some major disappointment.  I seriously doubt any of that will happen.

No cell but at least noones disappointed