By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What real 'next gen' is there actually in the Wii U...?!

the_dengle said:

^ Yeah, I'm pretty sure you need a Vita to use the Vita's cross-platform play functionality. And since the Vita is next-gen hardware, and the Vita is required to do that thing.....

the_dengle said:

PS3 - Vita crossplay requires next-gen hardware to work.

Now to make this more clear to you

Cross-Play combinations assumed.

1. Wii-DS

2. Wii-Wii U Pad

3. Wii U- Wii U Pad

4. PS3- PSP

5. PS3- Vita

6. PS4-Vita

7. 360-"SmartGlass"

8. 720-"SmartGlass"

Now tell me in which of the above combinations the Cross-Play is possible? We need to completely rule out the current gen that's not going to provide cross-play at all. Now the options are obvious, aren't they?

So then, if you were to choose options 3 and 5 supporting cross-play, it leaves a question aside on what the current gen PS3 is doing on the Wii U's counterpart. We need to emphasize on things that current gen PS3 and 360 can't do that the Wii-U does.

Don't you think PS3+Vita would compete with Wii-U? And that sadly is coming from a five and half year console to a console that hasn't been launched yet.

What will be that extra "element" that trounces PS3+Vita off ?

Around the Network
o_O.Q said:
dark_gh0st_b0y said:
1080p, graphics of Xbox360/Ps3 ports of AC3 already seem to have a slight bit of improvement in graphics where Pikmin 3 looks clearly better than any Ps3/Xbox360 titles and is a launch title, networking and gameplay have next-gen elements too

it's many ''not-quite'' next gen elements combined actually

it does?

No it really doen't, but that Japanese Bird demo does. 

^^^
i was fairly impressed by that demo

GameAnalyser said:

Don't you think PS3+Vita would compete with Wii-U? And that sadly is coming from a five and half year console to a console that hasn't been launched yet.

You still don't get it. It's NOT coming from a five-and-a-half-year-old console if it requires the Vita to work. Then it's coming from a 6-month-old console.

There has been some manner of compatibility between handheld and home consoles since at LEAST the GameBoy/N64 days. GBA/GCN took it to the next level. So let's narrow it down: the Wii U can stream full retail console games to the GamePad. You can play a full console game in the next room over from the console running it while someone else is watching TV. You couldn't do that with the GBA and GCN. You couldn't do that with the DS and Wii. Could you do it with the PSP and PS3? Not that I've heard. That means you can only do it with the Wii U or the PS Vita, both of which are next-gen hardware. The PS3 can't do it on its own.

But if Wii U still needs something more (even though it doesn't), it's MUCH more powerful than the PS3. This whole conversation reeks of redundancy. The Wii U is next-gen. That's a fact. Asking why it is next-gen is silly, as it's well-documented that the Wii U can do things no 7th-gen console is capable of, it's more powerful than any 7th-gen console, and it's made by a company that released a 7th-gen console 6 years ago. There is no dispute to be had. You're just being stubborn.

Once again, show me how the PS3 uses NFC. Show me how it can support 5-player simultaneous local multiplayer on a single console. Show me that PS3 supports physical AND digital distribution for all full console releases. The next-gen features are there, and they are plentiful. If it wasn't implemented in 7th-gen consoles at launch, it might still be a next-gen feature, even if they were eventually able to do it through a peripheral.

dark_gh0st_b0y said:
1080p, graphics of Xbox360/Ps3 ports of AC3 already seem to have a slight bit of improvement in graphics where Pikmin 3 looks clearly better than any Ps3/Xbox360 titles and is a launch title, networking and gameplay have next-gen elements too

Has the online mutliplayer been confirmed yet...?

Around the Network
GameAnalyser said:
dark_gh0st_b0y said:

if you mean Pikmin, they said it won't have online....  : (

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

the_dengle said:
GameAnalyser said:

You still don't get it. It's NOT coming from a five-and-a-half-year-old console if it requires the Vita to work. Then it's coming from a 6-month-old console.

There has been some manner of compatibility between handheld and home consoles since at LEAST the GameBoy/N64 days. GBA/GCN took it to the next level. So let's narrow it down: the Wii U can stream full retail console games to the GamePad. You can play a full console game in the next room over from the console running it while someone else is watching TV. You couldn't do that with the GBA and GCN. You couldn't do that with the DS and Wii. Could you do it with the PSP and PS3? Not that I've heard. That means you can only do it with the Wii U or the PS Vita, both of which are next-gen hardware. The PS3 can't do it on its own.

But if Wii U still needs something more (even though it doesn't), it's MUCH more powerful than the PS3. This whole conversation reeks of redundancy. The Wii U is next-gen. That's a fact. Asking why it is next-gen is silly, as it's well-documented that the Wii U can do things no 7th-gen console is capable of, it's more powerful than any 7th-gen console, and it's made by a company that released a 7th-gen console 6 years ago. There is no dispute to be had. You're just being stubborn.

Once again, show me how the PS3 uses NFC. Show me how it can support 5-player simultaneous local multiplayer on a single console. Show me that PS3 supports physical AND digital distribution for all full console releases. The next-gen features are there, and they are plentiful. If it wasn't implemented in 7th-gen consoles at launch, it might still be a next-gen feature, even if they were eventually able to do it through a peripheral.

"But if Wii U still needs something more (even though it doesn't), it's MUCH more powerful than the PS3"-  Although the "MUCH more" is quite bold for now, do let the time reveal it.

Although you have been successful in pointing out the purported "next gen" features in your last para, you are trying to make the peripherals/add-on features of the current- gen consoles as the inferior substitutes to next-gen features, which should rather be well embraced as the advantages of current-gen to next- gen compatibility. Sadly, regarding this why does the 6 year old Wii fail on many levels whereas the 5 and a half year old  PS3 wins? That's the whole reason why the conversation still holds a meaning and the thread's been put up.

NFC isn't a new thing(androids/iOS smartphones and credit card systems have had its implementations for quite a while). In the case of PS3 otherwise rendered useless, Vita is definitely required to render the functionality , a general feature on Smartphones these days.

5-player local simultaneous multiplayer( still does require the use of Wii- Game Pad  Screen for the 5th player's - a disadv )which is literally deemed a next-gen feature, but do not quite stand out quite as the real "next gen" IMO. It isn't quite a big leap from 2-player local co-op either. You can shut me up instantly if they come up with the full functional online multiplayer announcement in Pikmin 3. That's where the real next gen lurks in my opinion.

As for the digital distribution - again time will reveal whether PS3 can do it exclusively or with the Vita's aid, and seriously we haven't reached that point yet where all full console digital releases are co-existing succesfully with the traditional retail packaged content.

dark_gh0st_b0y said:
GameAnalyser said:
dark_gh0st_b0y said:

if you mean Pikmin, they said it won't have online....  : (

I know, just asked to confirm.

Since the launch of the Wii, Nintendo haven't put a foot wrong (they had a 3DS wobble), in all honesty I think the Wii U will just follow on in the footsteps of the mighty Wii and 3DS.

As for power, well, Nintendo don't do power, they make consoles that are sensibly priced (after some poor sales :)) they innovate and follow through with what they believe in, not drop the idea within a few months.

The PS4/Xbox720 will have some insane price tag, while the Wii U cleans-up for Nintendo, with their well balanced power/price console.

Next-gen is for suckers.

gottalovethis said:
Since the launch of the Wii, Nintendo haven't put a foot wrong (they had a 3DS wobble), in all honesty I think the Wii U will just follow on in the footsteps of the mighty Wii and 3DS.

As for power, well, Nintendo don't do power, they make consoles that are sensibly priced (after some poor sales :)) they innovate and follow through with what they believe in, not drop the idea within a few months.

The PS4/Xbox720 will have some insane price tag, while the Wii U cleans-up for Nintendo, with their well balanced power/price console.

Next-gen is for suckers.

I'm happy to be one among them.