By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

I agree with the overall feeling that the game has been pretty dull, but that's part of Spain's strategy, to "bore" their opposition until they make some mistake. It's not pretty, but it's effective.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
lestatdark said:
kowenicki said:
lestatdark said:

The problem is not Spain dominating ball possession, they have that playstyle right down to the core, the problem lies with the other team not being able to decipher that and playing their weaknesses. Croatia and Italy showed how blatant which were those weaknesses (poor defensive positioning when faced with a quick-paced counter, bad defensive ability on corners/free kicks, too much lateralization of their offensive game) and were able to play them properly.

France showed that they didn't study the Spain team and matches properly and paid for it in the first half. I think that the second half will be different (or at least I hope) after Blanc does a couple of changes to the strategy and players.

spot on... Spain has exactly the same "problem" as Barca.. if you can turn their defense with pace they really struggle.

edit.. "really struggle" isnt what I meant to say... lol... its a weakness they have is more accurate.

Yeah, and that showed especially on the second half against Italy. So much that they even sacrificed some of their attacking possession to "hide" the ball in their defensive midfield with pretty short passes, because Italy was suffocating them with quick counters. 

OT - France a bit better on this start of the second half, but not that much.

Kinda suits Portugal that...    but Im sure you noticed that already.

If they're smart, that's exactly what they'll do against Spain (if the game ends as it is). With Ronaldo and Nani, we have the speed for those counters, we'll just need to play a much more intense midfield pressure than what France is doing today in order to get that ball in the exact moment to launch a counter. 

Even if it was a friendly, that strategy has already paid off for Portugal, when we beat them 4 - 0 last year. 

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

kowenicki said:
lestatdark said:
kowenicki said:
lestatdark said:
kowenicki said:
lestatdark said:

The problem is not Spain dominating ball possession, they have that playstyle right down to the core, the problem lies with the other team not being able to decipher that and playing their weaknesses. Croatia and Italy showed how blatant which were those weaknesses (poor defensive positioning when faced with a quick-paced counter, bad defensive ability on corners/free kicks, too much lateralization of their offensive game) and were able to play them properly.

France showed that they didn't study the Spain team and matches properly and paid for it in the first half. I think that the second half will be different (or at least I hope) after Blanc does a couple of changes to the strategy and players.

spot on... Spain has exactly the same "problem" as Barca.. if you can turn their defense with pace they really struggle.

edit.. "really struggle" isnt what I meant to say... lol... its a weakness they have is more accurate.

Yeah, and that showed especially on the second half against Italy. So much that they even sacrificed some of their attacking possession to "hide" the ball in their defensive midfield with pretty short passes, because Italy was suffocating them with quick counters. 

If they're smart, that's exactly what they'll do against Spain (if the game ends as it is). With Ronaldo and Nani, we have the speed for those counters, we'll just need to play a much more intense midfield pressure than what France is doing today in order to get that ball in the exact moment to launch a counter. 

Even if it was a friendly, that strategy has already paid off for Portugal, when we beat them 4 - 0 last year. 

...and England too back in November.

I seriously think Germany, Portugal and possibly even England could beat these, all 3 have pace and a frontman that can hold a ball up.

Spain seem to win a lot of games 1-0....how do they do when they go behind?

If they're not able to score a goal in the next minutes after going behind, they usually have a very hard time afterwards (kinda in a similar fashion to Barça again). 

That was the one thing that Italy did wrong on their game, not putting enough men in the right places of the midfield to tighten the offensive onslaught from Spain, thus allowing the Spain equalizer 3 minutes after their goal.

Current PC Build

kowenicki said:
lestatdark said:
kowenicki said:
lestatdark said:
kowenicki said:
lestatdark said:
kowenicki said:
lestatdark said:

...and England too back in November.

I seriously think Germany, Portugal and possibly even England could beat these, all 3 have pace and a frontman that can hold a ball up.

Spain seem to win a lot of games 1-0....how do they do when they go behind?

If they're not able to score a goal in the next minutes after going behind, they usually have a very hard time afterwards (kinda in a similar fashion to Barça again). 

That was the one thing that Italy did wrong on their game, not putting enough men in the right places of the midfield to tighten the offensive onslaught from Spain, thus allowing the Spain equalizer 3 minutes after their goal.

Right well as this has been so boring I want a France equaliser.... then 30 mins more of the same, followed by penalties.

Thats the punishment for the players wasting my evening.

Wouldn't mind a France equaliser goal myself, mostly to see if it brings another spark to the game since this second half has been pretty forgetable. Though to be honest, I don't see the french pulling it off, they seem to lack any kind of "explosion" for a quick attack, especially with Ribery and Nasri playing below of their capacities. 

Current PC Build

Well, at least this is going to put the game out of it's misery.

This game is probably one of the worst of the Euro so far.

Current PC Build

Around the Network

Spain wont win anything this way

I'm only here to find Rol again. I've missed my... lets skip over that part.

I've missed him.

Anywho, have a good day Euro Folk!

*yawn* that game reminded me a lot of the german games in the early '90s

I just woke up, did I miss something ?

What we learned from the last two Spain games: They are not as good as in 2008 or 2010 but they can still win this tournament.