By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Kynes said:
lestatdark said:

To be honest, these kind of things worry me for the next match. Busquest and some other spanish players have already stated that if they have to go hard on Ronaldo to stop him, they will, and most likely it'll be portuguese players to see yellow or red cards instead. Nothing that we didn't see back at WC 2010.

Portugal did nothing at the WC 2010 game against Spain. They didn't lose because the referee, they lost because they played a really bad game and didn't deserve to win. Don't make excuses before the match.

And whenever did I say otherwise? In fact, if you paid any attention to what I wrote before regarding that match, you'd clearly see that I always said that Portugal played poorly.

That still doesn't take out from the fact that Spain players are usually amongst the most protected when it comes to refereeing decisions, and that has been clearly shown even on this Euro. Not saying it's deliberate, but that what usually happens when a team reach a certain status. 

Same goes for Real Madrid and Barça players, they're usually very "protected" on CL matches or even on La Liga matches too. 

Edit - Oh and trust me, if it was the other way around, Spain fans would be terribly pissed off with the same decisions. I still remember the huge out cry that you people had over at WC 2002 (even if you were in fact robbed).

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Around the Network
lestatdark said:

To be honest, these kind of things worry me for the next match. Busquest and some other spanish players have already stated that if they have to go hard on Ronaldo to stop him, they will, and most likely it'll be portuguese players to see yellow or red cards instead. Nothing that we didn't see back at WC 2010.

It worries me too. Obviously the ref will be biased in favor of Spain. It's given as they're No. 1 in the world and champions.

lestatdark said:
Kynes said:
lestatdark said:

Portugal did nothing at the WC 2010 game against Spain. They didn't lose because the referee, they lost because they played a really bad game and didn't deserve to win. Don't make excuses before the match.

And whenever did I say otherwise? In fact, if you paid any attention to what I wrote before regarding that match, you'd clearly see that I always said that Portugal played poorly.

That still doesn't take out from the fact that Spain players are usually amongst the most protected when it comes to refereeing decisions, and that has been clearly shown even on this Euro. Not saying it's deliberate, but that what usually happens when a team reach a certain status. 

Same goes for Real Madrid and Barça players, they're usually very "protected" on CL matches or even on La Liga matches too. 

Edit - Oh and trust me, if it was the other way around, Spain fans would be terribly pissed off with the same decisions. I still remember the huge out cry that you people had over at WC 2002 (even if you were in fact robbed).

Come on, can you really compare the Korea-Spain match, with any match in which Spain has been treated by the referees favorably? Spain was robed two clear goals.

I still remember the De Jong kick to the torso of Xabi Alonso in the Worlds finals of 2010, or the several times Heitinga or Van Bommel should have been given a red card. Tell me again that Spain is favored in the important matches. I'm not talking about Barcelona, I'm talking of Spain NT.

Slimebeast said:
lestatdark said:

It worries me too. Obviously the ref will be biased in favor of Spain. It's given as they're No. 1 in the world and champions.

I don't think they're exactly biased, but like I said, most referees usually "protect" the higher status teams. I think that's mostly a natural reaction (referees are just human in the end) as it happens everywhere, from small leagues to big international competitions. 

In the end, to beat the best, you have to be much better than them and I hope that's what Portugal do come next wednesday. Though I'll admit it right here, right now: 

If Portugal loses the way Croatia did, I'm gonna be throughly pissed and I will make sure to vent my frustration the proper way, because no matter what any Spaniard say, what was done in that match, was nothing short of a massive robbery.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Kynes said:
lestatdark said:
Kynes said:
lestatdark said:

Come on, can you really compare the Korea-Spain match, with any match in which Spain has been treated by the referees favorably? Spain was robed two clear goals.

I still remember the De Jong kick to the torso of Xabi Alonso in the Worlds finals of 2010, or the several times Heitinga or Van Bommel should have been given a red card. Tell me again that Spain is favored in the important matches. I'm not talking about Barcelona, I'm talking of Spain NT.

Spain vs Croatia rings a bell? Two clear pens with one that should have been a direct red card to Ramos? 

That's probably the most recent case.

Edit - Also, like I said, refs usually favor the big teams. Holland is commonly associated in that group as well, and I agree that there were some controversial decisons in the WC 2010 final match.

Thankfully, this Euro has been one of the best when it comes to referee decisions (as it has been noted by most analysts), because outside a few games, there hasn't been that much badly judged decisions. I hope it continues to be so and that the best teams from both semis go through by winning clearly. If in the case of Portugal - Spain, Spain plays a much better and superior football than Portugal, then I will give my complete support and congratulations to them without any doubt.

Current PC Build

Around the Network
lestatdark said:
Slimebeast said:
lestatdark said:

I don't think they're exactly biased, but like I said, most referees usually "protect" the higher status teams. I think that's mostly a natural reaction (referees are just human in the end) as it happens everywhere, from small leagues to big international competitions. 

In the end, to beat the best, you have to be much better than them and I hope that's what Portugal do come next wednesday. Though I'll admit it right here, right now: 

If Portugal loses the way Croatia did, I'm gonna be throughly pissed and I will make sure to vent my frustration the proper way, because no matter what any Spaniard say, what was done in that match, was nothing short of a massive robbery.

Yes, yes, it's natural. Natural bias if you will. Probably all subconsciously too.

lestatdark said:
Kynes said:

Spain vs Croatia rings a bell? Two clear pens with one that should have been a direct red card to Ramos? 

Not 100% comparable, those penalties are of those that most of the time aren't awarded, but I agree that Croatia should have tied that game, which would have eliminated Italy, or even won, with Spain out of the tournament.

Portugal has a good team, but your bitching about the referees isn't going to make them win. Don't cross a bridge till you come to it.

Argh_College said:

You know I thought this as it happened. Get fouled, your leg stamped on and get a yellow. That cost me points in my fantasy football as well. Cheeky Biscuits.

Hmm, pie.

Kynes said:
lestatdark said:
Kynes said:

Not 100% comparable, those penalties are of those that most of the time aren't awarded, but I agree that Croatia should have tied that game, which would have eliminated Italy, or even won, with Spain out of the tournament.

Portugal has a good team, but your bitching about the referees isn't going to make them win. Don't cross a bridge till you come to it.

Aren't awarded? I could probably agree with you on the Busquets penalty, but on the Ramos one, if that isn't a pen, then nothing is. 

And I don't know why are you so sensitive when it comes to pointing out the obvious. Referees usually favour the big teams, it's nothing new, it's nothing recent. This time around it's Spain that's being favoured, just like Germany has been in the past, or Italy, or France. 

It's now taboo to point that out when it's your team that gets the favouring? Like I said, Spain fans used to sing a very different tune until 2008. 

Get over it, I've already said countless times on this thread that I recognize Spain superiority and that I will congratulate them if they win in a superior fashion against Portugal. I will only be pissed if we lose in a similar fashion as Croatia did, nothing else.

Oh and trust me, should there be a referee decision against Spain, there will be outcry from their fans as well. No one is "holier than thou" in this field.

Current PC Build

Slimebeast said:

Can't complain? You are satisfied with England constantly being a B-nation?

England is the motherland of football and the sport is huge. I bet all youngsters over there want to become a football pro, just like they want in all big football nations. England shoule be a top nation in football along with Spain, Germany, Italy and France. But for some strange reason they're not. They're clearly even below Holland and Portugal when they shouldn't be.

I believe the talent is there but the system is still wrong. I just don't get why England (both the Premiere League and the national team) doesn't reform the system and strategy into a philosophy of ball possession and skill instead of *insert name for the English style of play*.

Something is wrong when the split in ball possession is 40-60 in a match against Italy (famous for its defense).

There are so many around the world who want England to succeed (especially here in Scandinavia but from what I have learned England is popular in many places around the world) and we get disappointed every time. Just like the English people we have the same hype and (unrealistic) confidence in the English team before a big cup and then it always ends in disappointment.

Like I said, more reform is needed. The players are skilled and deserve a better strategy. Not Spain skilled but at least they could try to play like Holland (kinda bad timing to bring up Holland in this tournament lol but their philosophy and strategy is much better than England's).

This is all written in love, so if you're a team England fan please don't feel offended.

You are right, things need to chane but it's not to a copy cat passing game. We need to play like English football. Our defence is great our attack is not, we need to scare opposition attacks and defenders instead of letting them pass. Need to place pressure on them. In this last game, Carroll (as a big man) should have started and pressured Pirlo out of the game, scare him.

Also our left is weak also, 2 best lefts the United Kingdom has produced in years and they both play for Wales. :P

In 4 years, our team could be awesome, the young players are only going to get stronger.

Hmm, pie.