By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony on PS4: "Late and expensive but Powerful"

Sony maybe haven't learned from their PS3 mistakes. Thread title is a tad misleading too.

Around the Network

agree with the others, very misleading title

Making up quotes is very bad.

"Well certainly with the Xbox 360, we had some challenges at the launch. Once we identified that we took control of it. We wanted to do it right by our customers. Our customers are very important to us." -Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb (10/2013). Note: RRoD was fixed with the Jasper-revision 3 years after the launch of 360

"People don't pay attention to a lot of the details."-Yusuf Mehdi explaining why Xbone DRM scheme would succeed

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity; it's called Xbox 360,”-Don Mattrick

"The region locking of the 3DS wasn't done for profits on games"-MDMAlliance

RedInker said:
Sony maybe haven't learned from their PS3 mistakes. Thread title is a tad misleading too.

considering the strategy worked with the ps1 & 2, I don't think it was a bad idea to keep at it.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

SONY make an interesting point there. Their first two consoles weren't the cheapest and they didn't release first, yet they were still the most successful by far. People blame the PS3's failure on the price and late release too much. I'm not saying price wasn't an issue, it definitely was, but it was the price itself, not the price compared to it's competitors. People now assume that a more expensive console that releases after the competition will inevitably fail, which isn't true.

Around the Network
Totaldemon said:
Sal.Paradise said:
Where did he say, "Late and expensive but powerful"?

"We've never been first (or) cheapest. It's about being the best." its the same

Quotes are supposed to show the exact words of the speaker, not a deduction of those words.

Duplicate thread and misleading title.

brendude13 said:
SONY make an interesting point there. Their first two consoles weren't the cheapest and they didn't release first, yet they were still the most successful by far. People blame the PS3's failure on the price and late release too much. I'm not saying price wasn't an issue, it definitely was, but it was the price itself, not the price compared to it's competitors. People now assume that a more expensive console that releases after the competition will inevitably fail, which isn't true.

The PS1 & PS2 both had extreme third-party exclusives. The PS4 won't have that luxory. And it's unlikely that their first-party can pick up the slack.

I think you are misrepresenting what he's saying.

Ajescent said:
RedInker said:

considering the strategy worked with the ps1 & 2, I don't think it was a bad idea to keep at it.

True, with regard to the PS1 & 2 but the price point of the PS3 was something else and they still made a loss with every unit sold. Sony need to make the PS4 cheaper than the PS3 at launch. With the ongoing economic problems, especially in Europe, who has £600 for a new console?