By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - I say Tiger Woods is now, finally, the best Golfer of all time!

i would say one more point is that nowadays you have much more competition from other countries in the majors. all these titles the first guy won were at a time he almost only had to play against other americans which means the average competitior wasn't as good as nowadays. sure nowadays there are still most us-americans but at least there are more from other countries and i would say we have much more golf-players nowadays, not only worldwide, in usa as well (not sure about that) which increases the average competions strongness and if it's only a little bit.

Around the Network

I hate golf, but will argue that John Daly is the best golfer ever since he's a drunk guy that throws temper tantrums. Golf needs more personalities like that.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

NOW? You say NOW?
What the hell took you so long?

He is certainly the golfer who has had the best song written about him.

You can also look at the fact that Tiger was so dominant when he was in his prime that the PGA Tour had to "Tiger-proof" their courses. He literally changed the game. Courses are hundreds of yards longer now because Tiger Woods was winning tournaments by 10 strokes. No one ever had to redesign courses to even the playing field for Jack.

Tiger in his prime was better than Nicklaus in his prime without question.

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
Funtime said:
You can also look at the fact that Tiger was so dominant when he was in his prime that the PGA Tour had to "Tiger-proof" their courses. He literally changed the game. Courses are hundreds of yards longer now because Tiger Woods was winning tournaments by 10 strokes. No one ever had to redesign courses to even the playing field for Jack.

Tiger in his prime was better than Nicklaus in his prime without question.

But you need to remember that golf clubs and balls have changed as well. Thinks are easier and harder these days.

Indeed. Tiger wasn't the only player using those balls and clubs, though. It was an even playing field and he was still destroying the rest of the guys by massive amounts of strokes. Back then he was the only guy smashing the ball that far, and that accurately. The rest of the players starting lifting a shit ton of weights and undergoing huge changes to their training so that they could hit like that as well.

Here's a nice article I found regarding "Tiger proofing" for the U.S. Open in particular.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/28934-us-open-tiger-proofing-of-golf-courses-has-done-just-the-opposite

I thought he was the best of all time when he got the "Tiger Slam" and to be honest expected him to have at least equaled Nicklaus Majors record by now but obviously his problems put the brakes on that.

After the scandal I still thought he was still the best ever but would never reach those heights again.
If he does go on the surpass Jack's and Sam's records then he is far tougher and more resilient than I ever credited him.

I am glad to see that he recovered and showed detractors that he means bussiness. Being a huge golf fan myself (played the Hot Shots demo for the PSOne like a thousand times) I am happy with this.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Golf is really boring...

But I have to agree with you.