By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sad day for Canada as Research in Motion puts itself up for sale

Bad news. Despite its decline, RIM could still have a place in the market.
About a possible buyer, IMVHO Both MS and Google, after their recent purchases and given their current patent war, and most probably Apple too, could receive objections by the antitrust. So I agree with those suggesting Samsung.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

If this is true, I'll be sad that lot of people will loose their jobs. On the flip end, I'll be glad cause I won't have to program for their shitty OS.

superchunk said:
TadpoleJackson said:
Will probably get picked up by Apple, MS, or Google to continue their patent war.

This is actually a solid theory. I'd see Google trying to get them for billions while Apple/MS and the bigger conglomerate all go in together like they did for... I think it was Cisco patents.

Rim's patents are old and not worth a heck of a lot.  If msft gets them it still won't be enough to let them pull out a win over android and apple, and would be several billion lost.  Apple might want to buy it, Samsung too.

Platinumeye said:
I initially was going to call this post misleading, but it really is a down right lie. Thorsten Heins (RIM's CEO) said they hired these banks at the end of Q4 period, the media interpreted this as J.P Morgan and RBC being hired yesterday. Could RIM be bought out? Sure, but what we are seeing here today is a long way from confirmation of a buy out.

When companies hire bankers to assest the best possible for their companies, usually that means the company is pushing for a sale.  Research in motion has severe burn rate issues in its efforts to compete with Andriod and Apple, that reasearch, development, marketing is not going to be cheap and they mentioned that the next several quarters will be challening.  With Samsung Galaxy 3 and Iphone 5 releasing this year more attention is going to be going towards those phones instead of BB.

I remember when the then-CEO of RIM actually lol'ed at the iPhone when it released.

If you didn't sell your RIM stock that moment, I have no sympathy for you. At that point, it was painfully obvious how out-of-touch the company was with consumers. A little sad since I owned a couple BB's back in the day but I rarely shed tears for idiotic tech companies that contribute heavily to their own demise.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/