By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo E3 2012 Conference - E3 is Dead. Long Live Nintendo Direct!

Smeags said:

If it was a homage to Magical Quest instead of Castle of Illusion, Rol would be all over it.

Still loyal to the SNES cause after all these years. I tip my hat to his conviction.

But seeing as I'm a Genesis man myself... I say bring it on!

Magical Quest was an incredible game. If this was half of that, it would be a different story.

Around the Network

Again I can't quote for some fucking reason.

I still think they can't end the rest of the year with no new announcements. It would just piss off fans even more. It would be painfull not just for us, but for them to wait til next E3 for new stuff,

noname2200 said:

Khuutra said:

It, uhm

I really like it

Now are you asking about the HD Twins title or the Mirror of Fate, here?

The one that came out already. Mirror's supposed to be a side-story/sequel/tweener, no?

That really was the best reaction I've seen on TV in several years. That whole scene was perfect

Anyway

The first Lords of Shadow is kind of a 3-D interpretation of the original Castlevania formula, particularly drawing on influence from the first game and Super Castlevania. It's not a Metroidvania by any means, and though I think "God of Warvania" is a disengenuous label it's not entirely incorrect, either, since it's based primarily around combat and platforming, with exploration taking a serious back seat.

It completely abandons the existent Castlevania mythos and builds up its own story, which works to its benefit in a few ways. Namely, the story in Lords of Shadow is actually worth paying attention to if only for how intrinsically European it is; that understanding of the European fairy tales and folklore oozes out of every frame of the game, and the perspective behind the main conflicts of the game (both Gabriel's contrition and the big bad's doomplot) are extremely Catholic. These things aren't absolute goods, granted, but they're both well-handled and extremely refreshing in the context of a franchise which routinely mangles every piece of Western mythology it can get its hands on.

Remember how the first Castlevania was essentially one long homage to old Hammer horror movies? This game is the same way, only with video game culture. There's a whole section that's an homage to the first dungeon in Ocarina of Time, and there's a stunning number of obscure and obvious game references throughout.

The combat's solid, the acting is appropriate, the art direction and music are fantastic. Some of the bosses leave something to be desired, but others are great for a lot of reasons.

I liked it better than any God of War.

RolStoppable said:
Where were all the hardcore games for the 3DS? Where?!

The 3DS owns almost the entirety of the protable market gen 8, its doesn't need the hardcore market. Can't say the same about the Wii vs HD twins.

happydolphin said:
forest-spirit said:

Because it's not coming in 2012.

It's a dumb policy, like Khan said.

I don't know. Having it this way means I can concentrate on the games coming in the next six months, and I won't have to cry myself to sleep because it'll take over a year before I even get a solid release date for that really awsome looking Metroid game.

Not sure of this tactic is the wisest one but if Nintendo can manage to put all focus on games soon to be released then it might work in their favor. Or not. We'll see...

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
http://kotaku.com/5916441/fire-emblem-awakening-will-be-coming-to-american-3ds-systems

Noname! Khan! Everyone who has a soul!

It's all right, guys

It's all right

We're gonna be okay

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

there will be new announcements for sure
its bussines strategy, dont worry folks

Must bie or I die

- NSMB 2

Must buys

- Paper Mario
- Luigi's Mansion
- Kingdom Hearts

Undecided

- Scribblenauts - thinking about Wii U version
- Castlevania - want a leveling system
- Warriors of Ruin
- Epic Mickey
- Fire Emblem

No buys

- Transformers

My favourite part of E3 was NSAF! I mean seriously, what does that tell you?

Smeags said:
forest-spirit said:

The first one was slow too. I guess they're staying true to the original.

If it was a homage to Magical Quest instead of Castle of Illusion, Rol would be all over it.

Still loyal to the SNES cause after all these years. I tip my hat to his conviction.

But seeing as I'm a Genesis man myself... I say bring it on!

I loved Castle of Illusion (despite being a SNES kid and despite the slower pace ) so I'll throw my money at it as soon as it arrives!