By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global HW (UK & USA UP) - 12th May

But what is sure is  call of dutty in psvita will sold better then any new ip in psvita.

And maybe it could sold like gta in psp  not big like home console call of dutty but very good for a psvita game.

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

Around the Network
VGKing said:
Train wreck said:
3DS is barely keeping up with last year revenue total

May 14 2011 88.5k @ 249 = 22.0m
May 12 2012 132.1k @ 169 = 22.3m

That's interesting. Never would have thought about that. 

This is why I keep saying a Vita price cut isn't the only way to save the Vita. A price cut should be the last resort.

As I said, Nintendo wouldn't have cut to cost so they're making a loss unless the vast majority of revenue is coming from the actual SW sales. 

This means nothing.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Conegamer said:
VGKing said:
Train wreck said:

This is why I keep saying a Vita price cut isn't the only way to save the Vita. A price cut should be the last resort.

As I said, Nintendo wouldn't have cut to cost so they're making a loss unless the vast majority of revenue is coming from the actual SW sales. 

This means nothing.

It does mean something though; you need to stop thinking like its 2006.

If Nintendo or Sony, it really doesn’t matter since they are both Japanese companies, shipped 30 units of a game to retailers for hypothetical sake @ 49.99 in their local currency, 10 in each region and let’s say its 2008 (~averaged 160 Euros/115 Dollar)

10 Europe @ 49.99euros = 499.9 euros change to Yen, you get 79,984Y

10 US @ $49.99 = 499.9 Dollars change to Yen, you get 57,489Y

10 Japan @ Y4,999 = 49,999 Yen 

Total revenue in Yen is 187,472 total, so pretty much they are seeing 6,249 Y for each unit sold anywhere in the world

Fast forward to Today (100 Euro/80 Dollar):

Europe: 49,990 Yen; US: 39,992 Yen; Japan: 49,999 Yen total 139,981 Yen, 4,666 Yen for each unit sold

So for the same 30 units the difference because of the exchange rate is -47,491 Yen and in order to realize the same sales, you have to sell 10 additional units today.  The above example is just a hypothetical; imagine when you put actual numbers in (initial cost of the game, producer price cost, shipping overseas, actual cost that retailers buy the game, not even mentioning official price cuts, component shortages).  Saying that Nintnedo will recoup the lost revenue from hardware from software is an extreme stretch

Train wreck said:
Conegamer said:
VGKing said:
Train wreck said:

This means nothing.

It does mean something though; you need to stop thinking like its 2006.

If Nintendo or Sony, it really doesn’t matter since they are both Japanese companies, shipped 30 units of a game to retailers for hypothetical sake @ 49.99 in their local currency, 10 in each region and let’s say its 2008 (~averaged 160 Euros/115 Dollar)

10 Europe @ 49.99euros = 499.9 euros change to Yen, you get 79,984Y

10 US @ $49.99 = 499.9 Dollars change to Yen, you get 57,489Y

10 Japan @ Y4,999 = 49,999 Yen 

Total revenue in Yen is 187,472 total, so pretty much they are seeing 6,249 Y for each unit sold anywhere in the world

Fast forward to Today (100 Euro/80 Dollar):

Europe: 49,990 Yen; US: 39,992 Yen; Japan: 49,999 Yen total 139,981 Yen, 4,666 Yen for each unit sold

So for the same 30 units the difference because of the exchange rate is -47,491 Yen and in order to realize the same sales, you have to sell 10 additional units today.  The above example is just a hypothetical; imagine when you put actual numbers in (initial cost of the game, producer price cost, shipping overseas, actual cost that retailers buy the game, not even mentioning official price cuts, component shortages).  Saying that Nintnedo will recoup the lost revenue from hardware from software is an extreme stretch

I agree with everythng you said up to this point because, well, you're right. It's pretty obvious that Nintendo didn't wish to cut the price, no-one wishes to, because you have to sell more to make more. But Nintendo can easily remake any lost money with extra revenue from 3DS games. 

I mean, 3 of the top 10 games sold WW last week were made by Nintendo, and that doesn't include online sales, sales of older games or DLC. So who knows how much they're really making from SW. But I'm willing to suggest it's easily enough to cover whatever loss they're making on the 3DS over last year.

If not, why would they cut the price? Same reason Sony hasn't on the Vita yet. It's not financially viable.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

I agree with everythng you said up to this point because, well, you're right. It's pretty obvious that Nintendo didn't wish to cut the price, no-one wishes to, because you have to sell more to make more. But Nintendo can easily remake any lost money with extra revenue from 3DS games. 

I mean, 3 of the top 10 games sold WW last week were made by Nintendo, and that doesn't include online sales, sales of older games or DLC. So who knows how much they're really making from SW. But I'm willing to suggest it's easily enough to cover whatever loss they're making on the 3DS over last year.

If not, why would they cut the price? Same reason Sony hasn't on the Vita yet. It's not financially viable.

From March 11 to March 12

100 million Wii games were shipped, 36 million 3DS titles were shipped and 60 million DS titles shipped (includes 3rd parties but they don’t count) and Nintendo and lost money.

This year you can pretty much cross out any meaningful Wii and DS software titles so they are pretty much left with the 3DS and Wii U for six months and this is with a strong yen backdrop and economic uncertainty in Europe and the US.  You need to spend more to make more yes but Nintendo is defiantly sacrificing margins in the process.  Again to me its more than a late cycle to new cycle swoon, the landscape that videogames were in is totally different that the beginning of the new generation coming up, people need not to forget that.

Around the Network

Starhawk bombed.....huh

PS3 fans are fanatic about their exclusives....so I ask: What happened? 

Cause I seriously would like to know. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sales2099 said:

Starhawk bombed.....huh

Well it's a follow up from warhawk which never sold well and wasn't really critically acclaimed. It's barely been advertised whatsoever, hype never extended outside of the Internet, reviews werent great. What were u seriously expecting it to do?

The Vita does not need a price cut. It's new and price cuts are not needed for hardware that is as great as the Vita is.

What it needs is great software. A full fledged Uncharted at launch was great. Since then it's been port city for the system and that doesn't help any platform sell systems. It just doesn't happen.

Gravity Rush and Resistance: Burning Skies will help, but more games need to be coming out. Following the release of the system Sony needed to have Gravity Rush and Resistance: Burning Skies coming in month 2. Sports games don't have the system selling power like they might have once had, especially not a baseball game.

Call of Duty Vita, Assassin's Creed Vita, Killzone Vita and Bioshock are all great to have building hype later on down the pipeline. But Sony needs to add real multiplayer to Uncharted: Golden Abyss. As a matter of fact the game should have had multiplayer built in. The treasure maps are cool, but that isn't a tool to have people coming back to the game 3+ months after release.

Simply put the Vita should not be going through the drought it currently is going through. Once again Sony failed a system. The system hasn't failed Sony. Sony's hardware never fails them, but they find a way to make the system falter through no fault of it's own.

Final Fantasy, Monster Hunter, Call of Duty, Battlefield, God of War, Killzone, Gran Turismo, Bioshock and Grand Theft Auto....these are titles that will sell the platform at it's current price point. These are the franchises that will get people to buy the system at $249 and $299. Before any real information about Vita games were out in the open people were loving the price tags Sony had on the system.

It needs games. Vita games!

thehusbo said:
sales2099 said:

Starhawk bombed.....huh

Well it's a follow up from warhawk which never sold well and wasn't really critically acclaimed. It's barely been advertised whatsoever, hype never extended outside of the Internet, reviews werent great. What were u seriously expecting it to do?

Well since I follow the PS3 hype machine....once you separate the rational from the impossible standards the vibe I got was mid 80's metacritic with a opening week 1 sales of 300k + (global). My own expectations also fell in line with that as well more or less

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

kowenicki said:
metacritic is over 84 (so i dont know what thehusbo is going on about above)

I'd give it a 6.

If buyers loved warhawk so much and over 1 million were sold, then that begs the question.... why has this bombed?

Warhank bombed in first weeks too... the 1 million is due the LEGZ.