By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Capcom talks about on disc DLC: We'll think about it, too late for upcoming games

http://www.capcom-unity.com/gregaman/blog/2012/05/14/on_the_topic_of_on-disc_dlc

On the Topic of On-Disc DLC

lundi, mai 14, 2012, 6:17 PM [General]

Many of you probably have caught wind of all the talk as of late regarding on-disc DLC. Our Senior VP Christian Svensson (Sven on Unity) has some words to share on the subject, so I'll leave it to him. Read on below, or in his Ask Capcom thread.

Hey guys,

We've been getting several questions, here and elsewhere about the future of on-disc DLC. 

We would like to assure you that we have been listening to your comments and as such have begun the process of re-evaluating how such additional game content is delivered in the future. As this process has only just commenced in the past month or so, there will be some titles, where development began some time ago and that are scheduled for release in the coming months, for which we are unable to make changes to the way some of their post release content is delivered. 

One such title is Dragon’s Dogma, where the decision to include some additional (but not all planned additional) game content for the game on disc was made at the beginning of the game’s development cycle as at the time this was determined to be the most efficient way of ensuring certain content was made available. Owners of Dragon’s Dogma will be able to further their gameplay experience with the release of additional quests, weapons and other items in the months following the game going on sale.

Dragon’s Dogma’s  post-launch content will extend the lifespan of a title that already offers around 30-40 hours of gameplay by following the main story thread, but if a player was to complete all the side quests Dragon’s Dogma ships with, that increases to around 100 hours. Players will also be able to add to the stock of 100s of weapons and 1,000s of customization options to create not only their ideally equipped, but also their most elaborately designed character.

Just wanted people to know in advance the whys, wherefores and where we're going in the future. You are being heard. Thanks.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I have the feeling that there is something not right here...

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network

I'm not prepared to buy Resident Evil 6 in slices. Sort it out or I will just ignore it, or perhaps buy it second-hand. After all, second hand (twenty quid) plus paying for the rest of the game in DLC slices (another twenty) equals the actual price of a game. Works out fine for me. Your move, Capcom.

Just finished Asura's Wrath last night, the ending was a cliffhanger.
I was under the impression that the ending led into an AW2, but then i found out the "true ending" is a 7$ DLC.

I'll already skipped SFxTekken and now i'm sure i wont be buying any Capcom game new ever again.
I'll be watching AW "true ending" on youtube before they make it block all the game endings due to
copyright infringement

Vote to Localize — SEGA and Konami Polls

Vote Today To Help Get A Konami & SEGA Game Localized.This Will Only Work If Lots Of People Vote.

Click on the Image to Head to the Voting Page (A vote for Yakuza is a vote to save gaming)

NiKKoM said:

As this process has only just commenced in the past month or so, there will be some titles, where development began some time ago and that are scheduled for release in the coming months, for which we are unable to make changes to the way some of their post release content is delivered. 

They could make the DLC free, but i guess that requires alot of programming & resources lol.

Vote Today To Help Get A Konami & SEGA Game Localized.This Will Only Work If Lots Of People Vote.

Click on the Image to Head to the Voting Page (A vote for Yakuza is a vote to save gaming)

nen-suer said:

They could make the DLC free, but i guess that requires alot of programming & resources lol.

You know what would be awful.. if for some reason you can't buy the unlock keys from PSN/Live anymore and then all that content is on the f*cking disc just sitting there with no way to get to it...

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network

What a fucking troll publisher. That's capcom on my naughty list of crap.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

nen-suer said:
NiKKoM said:

As this process has only just commenced in the past month or so, there will be some titles, where development began some time ago and that are scheduled for release in the coming months, for which we are unable to make changes to the way some of their post release content is delivered. 

Actually, it's because they've already incorporated the prices of the DLC and potential profits from said DLC into their financial forcasts. Making the DLC wouldn't be hard from a technical standpoint.

I've come to hate Capcom ever since Super Street Fighter 4: Fan Rape Edition. I then thought they learned the error of their ways when I bought MVC3, just to find out that they planned on raping me again six months later. MVC 3 was the last Capcom game I purchased.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

nen-suer said:
Just finished Asura's Wrath last night, the ending was a cliffhanger.
I was under the impression that the ending led into an AW2, but then i found out the "true ending" is a 7$ DLC.

I'll already skipped SFxTekken and now i'm sure i wont be buying any Capcom game new ever again.
I'll be watching AW "true ending" on youtube before they make it block all the game endings due to
copyright infringement

SFxT ... I'm not even  about the DLC for me. The game itself is so fucking lacking. My biggest regret this year so far. 

Still, I will never buy a new Capcom game anymore. I'll wait a year or 2 before buying RE6, or any new Street Fighter games. 

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

NiKKoM said:
nen-suer said:

You know what would be awful.. if for some reason you can't buy the unlock keys from PSN/Live anymore and then all that content is on the f*cking disc just sitting there with no way to get to it...

Remind me of this 

http://kotaku.com/5864789/online-pass-codes-can-expire-but-shouldnt-says-ea

The future looks awsome indeed.

adriane23 said:
nen-suer said:

Actually, it's because they've already incorporated the prices of the DLC and potential profits from said DLC into their financial forcasts. Making the DLC wouldn't be hard from a technical standpoint.

financial forcasts get changed all the times, thats just BS PR talk they are making.

Same thing will happen next year.

hatmoza said:

SFxT ... I'm not even  about the DLC for me. The game itself is so fucking lacking. My biggest regret this year so far. 

Still, I will never buy a new Capcom game anymore. I'll wait a year or 2 before buying RE6, or any new Street Fighter games. 

no need to wait a year, just buy it used few months after release

You can easily make changes for how the content is released for future titles: don't fucking charge for the on-disc DLC

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.