By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony CEO 'totally opposed to blocking used games'

sergiodaly said:
gamers... LOL... if a company offer a dinner to every costumer they have... gamers still would say... "but i have to get out of my house... assholes, they could offer take out delivered to my house instead." "they are evil because they are harming the micro production of chickens in the south pole" etc, etc, etc...

gamers... always ahead in the bitching business...

maybe that's becuase game companies are at the bleeding edge of nickel-and-diming their customers?  

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network

Well the last line is a great get out of jail free card for Jack there.

As for used games, TBH if online passes become the norm then if I was a publisher I'd actually be for them because they make games the only entertainment medium (so far as I know) where the publisher would get potentially multiple follow up cuts of the second hand market.

I mean theoretically one physical copy could change hands four times and generate four online pass purchases. Heck - I'd be encouraging people to trade on games.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Runa216 said:

That may all be well and true (I know it is), but who's fault is that?  certainly not mine.  I'd rather pay loads of money for something unique and quirky like minecraft than something overblown and underwhelming like Call of Duty (keep in mind I actually LIKE call of duty's gameplay, it's one of my favorite shooters).  games don't HAVE to be super expensive or super crisp and clear, the indie scene shows that games can be cheap and fun and still make money.  you just have to be smart with your spending and not blow it all on custom game soundtracks, voice actors, and all that useless nonsense.  

and games DID go up in price this generation. Xbox 360 and PS3 games are 60 bucks a piece rather than 50 like last gen.  Wii games are still 50 for the most part. 

The point is, nobody ASKED these developers to spend 50-100 million dollars on a game.  yes, flashiness sells, it's shiny and dumb people like shiny things, but gamers who actually care about the industry (like you or I....I hope) prefer good gameplay and originality to repetition and safe rehashes.  

You're forgetting inflation. Technically a $10 increase from one generation to the next doesn't even cover that. A $50 game in 2001 would be a $63 game today. So that increase wasn't really helpful, and could be argued as actually hurting their bottom line. Add increasing development costs and games really should have gone up to $70 this gen and looking at going to $80 right around the corner if not higher. The market is so fickle and opinionated that raising prices can be a death sentance so the industry had to get creative and provide more services and special editions to create profit revenue streams. Price increases usually only happen in between console gens now, but they are small. There seems to be an expectation among the consumers of a price cap when really games should be allowed a spectrum of prices. Vita right now is the best example(that I know), having retail games from $20-$50 new. I think more console games should take note.

Though I understand your sentement on developers keeping things simple it is just not possible. It's like an arms race, if you don't advance you can get blown up. It's not going to stop unless everyone stops. That and consumers will flock to high production titles like you mentioned. Cheaper games that sell in droves are rare, usually they recieve more modest sales but still turn profits. On the other hand, It is sad to see games flop when they cost so much to make. The rising costs of development aren't all bad, the new advancements in graphics and hardware really do innovate the industry even if there are some games that are mostly rehashing with shiny graphics.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Reasonable said:

As for used games, TBH if online passes become the norm then if I was a publisher I'd actually be for them because they make games the only entertainment medium (so far as I know) where the publisher would get potentially multiple follow up cuts of the second hand market.

I mean theoretically one physical copy could change hands four times and generate four online pass purchases. Heck - I'd be encouraging people to trade on games.

I think that developers should just cut out the online multiplayer. Make it a digital download like they did with Killzone 3, which is $15 bucks on PSN. People wouldn't even have to buy the single player. Developers could even release the game first and develop the multiplayer later(not recommended). It would eliminate online passes, stop troubling consumers that don't know about them, and divide the costs up for those they don't want multiplayer and those that want only multiplayer.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Chark said:
Reasonable said:

I think that developers should just cut out the online multiplayer. Make it a digital download like they did with Killzone 3, which is $15 bucks on PSN. People wouldn't even have to buy the single player. Developers could even release the game first and develop the multiplayer later(not recommended). It would eliminate online passes, stop troubling consumers that don't know about them, and divide the costs up for those they don't want multiplayer and those that want only multiplayer.

Yeah I'd like that approach.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network
Runa216 said:
sergiodaly said:
gamers... LOL... if a company offer a dinner to every costumer they have... gamers still would say... "but i have to get out of my house... assholes, they could offer take out delivered to my house instead." "they are evil because they are harming the micro production of chickens in the south pole" etc, etc, etc...

maybe that's becuase game companies are at the bleeding edge of nickel-and-diming their customers?  

i don't think so... gaming is a non essential activity, like breathing or eating. its a luxury. i don't feel forced on anything... i know that i don't need to play every piece of software out there. one thing many people should learn... in time everyone will. i know that gamers are, in the majority, young teens that are still in personal development, but we all get the bad rep of whiners.

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

Joelcool7 said:
Sorry Runa, I'm still stuck using my phone. So my response showed up in your comment. Fact is Dev costs are higher then they ever have been. Next generation they will double to triple, a big budget 360/PS3 title can cost up to 50-80 million just to develop throw in an ad campaign and distribution network, online services and software maintenance and a current game like HomeFront can now exceed 100 million dollars. Fact is HomeFront cost 50-mill to develop it was an amazing game and did perform decent. But it did not generate a sufficient profit to keep the studio open. THQ had to can the staff.

Read my blog sometime. Simply put we are paying less for games then almost any point in gaming history. NES games cost 49.99$-59.99$ and if you convert that to modern currency value we were paying nearly 100$ for an NES game made by as few as 5-10 people for as little as a couple thousand dollars.

Luckily next-gen will have a bigger emphasise on digital distribution which will lower production costs and raise profit margins, this won't completely make up for the increased costs of course, but it'll help :)

sergiodaly said:
Runa216 said:
sergiodaly said:

i don't think so... gaming is a non essential activity, like breathing or eating. its a luxury. i don't feel forced on anything... i know that i don't need to play every piece of software out there. one thing many people should learn... in time everyone will. i know that gamers are, in the majority, young teens that are still in personal development, but we all get the bad rep of whiners.

Movies and Television shows aren't essential, they too are entertainment, yet you don't have companies claiming that we're all vagrants and need to be punished.  we don't have film makers bitching and whining about digital rights management or any of that shit.  I mean yeah, they complain a LOT about piracy, and they make the fines for it pretty severe, but they're not punishing good customers by making us all suffer through intrusive DRM just to avoid it.  same with the Music industry; another entertainment industry suffering from the losses thanks to piracy, but instead of forcing  us ALL to suffer thanks to a vocal minority, they found creative ways to get music out to the masses, and while album sales are down, the music industry is doing just fine thanks to stuff like iTunes and other digital distribution avenues. 

Gamers, on the other hand, are all being punished.  we have to endure horrible, faulty, invasive DRM, you have companies trying their damndest to make selling used copies of games illegal or at least impossible, and are claiming that even if we buy a game, we don't own it. Fuck them!  No wonder pirates are so persistent; it's long since stopped being just about greed and has become a movement about making a point, making a statement, and telling companies they can go fuck themselves. 

And the funniest thing is, I NEVER pirate games, and even berate pirates on a regular basis, but that doesn't change the fact that this is a lot of bullshit. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android