Was the Wii a fad?

Yes 131 38.76%

No 152 44.97%

Irrevelant, next-gen is coming 28 8.28%

see results 26 7.69%

Total:337
d21lewis said:
Mazty said:

I concede that when I mentioned them I forgot they aren't core games. Please accept my sincerest apologies for messing that part up. And it's not that they aren't harder then CoD on veteran; they are both incredibly easy. They're childrens games. 

I know dozens of people that don't know the slightest thing about gaming.  Couldn't pull off a fireball in Street Fighter, wouldn't get a Tetris in Tetris, don't know who Sephiroth is, and have a zero percent chance of ever finishing New Super Mario if their life depended on it.  They are able to grasp the basics of Call of Duty.  My 11 year old daughter has gone online as my guest in Call of Duty and has done okay.  She's always last in online Mario Kart.  Don't let the kiddie exterior fool you into thinking that Nintendo's games aren't for real gamers.  There's a lot of depth, there.

Call of Duty on Veteran, huh?  The hardest difficulty level and not the default.  Interesting logic, there. 

That's just sad then. I rarely play platformers and NSMB is just a complete joke it's that simple. Mario Kart is also a total joke, albiet the incredibly unresponsive controllers do not help it. Hang back, wait till you have a blue shell on the last lap and let catch up do the rest. For casual gamers they may see it as challenging, but for core gamers these games are as deep as a puddle. 

When I mentioned CoD on veteran, I said" not that they aren't harder...";  the issue is that Mario kart and NSMB are so easy they can't be considered as core games. 

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
Mazty said:
archbrix said:
Mazty said:

Find me a bowling core game...I haven't mentioned any dislike for wii games,  so stop with the strawmen.
Considering the wii offers high latency, inaccurate controls, I'd prefer to stick to a pad thanks. If motion controls are so big, where are they for the PC?  

There is no strawman:  The fact that a bowling game would have to somehow be a core game in order to constitute as a "real" game in your eyes says it all.

And I'm not contesting, nor am I interested in which control type you personally prefer.  The idea that motion controls aren't at all beneficial to some game types or some people just because you personally don't like them or because they don't come standard with PCs is highly erroneous.

Your strawman retort is once again a strawman. My point is the wii is a fad as it's not made for core gamers, shown by a lack of core game sales for the console. 

If you are a core gamer then you will know that to move a stick 1/4 inch is faster then waving your arm, as well as having lower latency. No core gamer will choose to have slower controls, only people who don't really care about the game would make such a choice,.

If motion controls are the next big thing for gaming, why are they not available on the PC? It's not erroneous, it's a relevant market observation. 

Why doesn't every console game use a mouse and Keyboard?

It's not erroneous, it's a relevant market observation.

Panama said:

Of course not. Anything that sells insanely well initially and then sells less than its two competitors for nearly 2 years straight, then sure i'd qualify it as a fad. I'm honestly surprised people are adamant that the Wii wasn't a fad when the PS3 and 360 hammer it sales every week now. People are aware the 360 is one year older than it right?

Well, the Wii U has been announced and releases this year.  That could be part of the reason why Wii sales are going downhill.  The Wii also has weaker graphics, bonus features, and online than the two HD consoles.  In spite of its shortcomings, the Wii managed to gain a comfortable lead over its competitors.  

We're getting off track.  The Wii sold very well due to a combination of great games, innovative hardware, low price, social experiences, and more.  It's selling poorer now because it has a successor, and less capable hardware.  The 360 is a year older but it was also many times more powerful and can be had for as little as $100, now.  None of this has anything to do with the fact that the Wii has lived a full life that several consoles in the past could only dream of and it continues to sell.

It's 2012.  The Wii came out in 2006.

d21lewis said:
Mazty said:

Your strawman retort is once again a strawman. My point is the wii is a fad as it's not made for core gamers, shown by a lack of core game sales for the console. 

If you are a core gamer then you will know that to move a stick 1/4 inch is faster then waving your arm, as well as having lower latency. No core gamer will choose to have slower controls, only people who don't really care about the game would make such a choice,.

If motion controls are the next big thing for gaming, why are they not available on the PC? It's not erroneous, it's a relevant market observation. 

How are you going to use a mouse an keyboard when you are sat on a sofa with no surface to rest either one on...?

sensebringer said:
Mazty said:

Wow you avoided almost everything I said. Good job, but once again, noted. 
The only way I'd know a core game is if it bit me in my ass? Uhuh. Sadly that comment is neither mature nor constructive. 
How am I being immature? You're the one avoiding direct questions and calling me names. At the age of 25. 

Lol. I don't need to answer anything from you, because in the eyes of everyone looking at your behavior in this thread you have show us that do not know anything about videogames. Go back to play Call of Duty on Veteran to feed your need to believe that you are a "core" gamer. LOL.

Back to the Galileo argument I see. Instead of actually showing how I'm wrong you're having a tantrum and claiming I'm wrong because you say so. If you were 15 that'd be understandable behaviour, but at 25? For shame...

sensebringer said:
d21lewis said:

It's not erroneous, it's a relevant market observation.

Have fun running a mouse over a  cushion. Y'know how you were talking about being illogical? Yeah...

Mazty said:
d21lewis said:
Mazty said:

How are you going to use a mouse an keyboard when you are sat on a sofa with no surface to rest either one on...?

sensebringer said:
Mazty said:

The only way I'd know a core game is if it bit me in my ass? Uhuh. Sadly that comment is neither mature nor constructive. 
How am I being immature? You're the one avoiding direct questions and calling me names. At the age of 25. 

Lol. I don't need to answer anything from you, because in the eyes of everyone looking at your behavior in this thread you have show us that do not know anything about videogames. Go back to play Call of Duty on Veteran to feed your need to believe that you are a "core" gamer. LOL.

Back to the Galileo argument I see. Instead of actually showing how I'm wrong you're having a tantrum and claiming I'm wrong because you say so. If you were 15 that'd be understandable behaviour, but at 25? For shame...

As chrizum said

"I realise you're not going to say anything within reason for anyone invlolved here so I suggest that you accept that you have your own little truth and the rest of the world has theirs".

We get it man. Let it go.

Around the Network
Mazty said:
d21lewis said:
Mazty said:

How are you going to use motion controls when you're sitting at a desk? 

d21lewis said:
Mazty said:
d21lewis said:
Mazty said:

How are you going to use motion controls when you're sitting at a desk? 

How are you going to use motion controls when you are sat on a sofa? Oh right you stand up. 
You just dug yourself in deeper there bud. 

sensebringer said:
Mazty said:
d21lewis said:
Mazty said:

sensebringer said:
Mazty said:

As chrizum said

"I realise you're not going to say anything within reason for anyone invlolved here so I suggest that you accept that you have your own little truth and the rest of the world has theirs".

We get it man. Let it go.

More unconstructive jibberish. You made a bad point and aren't humble enough to develop your point of view. As I said, at 25, such behaviour is just embarrassing.  Either show how I'm being illogical or bow out with some grace. 

And Mazty. I probably failed to mention this but I have a PC connected to my TV right beside my Wii, PS3, and 360. I use a wireless keyboard and a wireless mouse to browse the web. I'm using it right now. Laptop in my lap and mouse beside me. It's not that tough.

d21lewis said:
Panama said:

Of course not. Anything that sells insanely well initially and then sells less than its two competitors for nearly 2 years straight, then sure i'd qualify it as a fad. I'm honestly surprised people are adamant that the Wii wasn't a fad when the PS3 and 360 hammer it sales every week now. People are aware the 360 is one year older than it right?

Well, the Wii U has been announced and releases this year.  That could be part of the reason why Wii sales are going downhill.  The Wii also has weaker graphics, bonus features, and online than the two HD consoles.  In spite of its shortcomings, the Wii managed to gain a comfortable lead over its competitors.  

We're getting off track.  The Wii sold very well due to a combination of great games, innovative hardware, low price, social experiences, and more.  It's selling poorer now because it has a successor, and less capable hardware.  The 360 is a year older but it was also many times more powerful and can be had for as little as $100, now.  None of this has anything to do with the fact that the Wii has lived a full life that several consoles in the past could only dream of and it continues to sell.

It's 2012.  The Wii came out in 2006.

The power of the console is irrelevant to the question. If it wasn't a fad it wouldn't be getting outsold 2:1 for over a year now when it was outselling the competitor by at least 3:1 at some stages in its lifecycle, simple as that. There's no sugar coating it. I'm simply answering the question with what I deem to be the most logical approach. I'm quite certain that the NES, SNES, PS1 and PS2 were not so greatly outsold by their competitors on a weekly basis towards the end of their lifecycles.

Mazty said:

How are you going to use motion controls when you are sat on a sofa? Oh right you stand up. 
You just dug yourself in deeper there bud. 

I am at a loss for words.  Pics, I guess.

Motion controls for PC.  That's just the first one that came up.  There's more.  There's much more.