By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Malstrom: "My purpose is to reveal and inform people about Nintendo."

mai said:

theprof00 said:

You never built anything? Just wandered around doing nothing?

And I knew someone was going to come in and give me his "excuse" for liking the game. Of course his article awas carefully worded to avoid contradiction. That's what Malstrom does.

You don't know the endless endless constructions people were making in minecraft and posting on chan. There were threads after threads after threads with new content over and over and over. Modding, creating, sharing. If you play Minecraft without building things, you're missing half the game, and all your left with is a pretty shitty game, so don't go trying to tell me you played it to death without getting a little creative with your supplies.

Playing on creative mode is not something that justifies your point. It's an excuse.

Well, I dig a hole and then spend my first night in it listening for scary mobs wandering around :D then BAM... dozen or two hours later the hole transformed into a freaking fortress with docks, mob traps, farm, trees, tower, gun slots, automatic turrets, cannons and glass rooftop.

But if I wanted to build some fancy-shmancy castle just for the reason "here, look, people, here's on what I waste my time" I'd never bothered with Survival. Why? Why build smth for the single reason to build when creatures annoys you, when you don't have endless supply of cubes like in Creative etc. Just do in Creative and don't bother with Survival, weirdo, while all normal people plays Survival :D

So that's you who missed all the fun ;) The true Minecraft is the one when Survival was introduced.

You completely misunderstand. Again.

The bolded is the UGC.

It is you listening to Malstrom that's got you so confused about UGC, because he's twisted your understanding of UGC into something that makes him "not a hypocrite"

Around the Network

Malstrom sucks and ROL should be ashamed of this thread.

theprof00 said:

The bolded is the UGC.

No, it's not. UGC is when I build smth and share it with other people, which I never did. I played Minecraft for the same reason, I dunno.. I play Zelda, for exploration, mob-killing and sort of grinding (Adventure mode anyone?). If smth is UGC in Minecraft it's mods people create for it, I did used some mods that I found fun, the one with horse breeding was cool, it got Pegasus which makes exploration far more easier :D

There's  UGC in Minecraft like mods, but the most people value the content that we get with every new version (though there was quite a lot bug-fixing releases that suck) and we play with it, but it's not UGC. The same process behind WoW or any successful MMORPG btw.

mai said:

theprof00 said:

The bolded is the UGC.

No, it's not. UGC is when I build smth and share it with other people, which I never did. I played Minecraft for the same reason, I dunno.. I play Zelda, for exploration, mob-killing and sort of grinding (Adventure mode anyone?). If smth is UGC in Minecraft it's mods people create for it, I did used some mods that I found fun, the one with horse breeding was cool, it got Pegasus which makes exploration far more easier :D

No you are completely wrong again. stop listening to the lunatic.

UGC refers to content that is SOLELY dependant on the player to provide. That is the ENTIRE basis of Minecraft. It is a player driven experience, ie; the amount of time you spend using the game's tools to create is solely dependant on how much you want to put in. You have no requirement to build anything at all (well, bare minimums, arrows and weapons and gear), but you do not have to build anything.

YOU did, though. And you spent many hours building things that weren't exactly necessary, but you built it because it was fun. That is UGC.

Something doesn't need to improve gameplay (if that's what you mean by gaming) in order to be considered viable. For example, increased graphical capabilities doesn't improve gameplay, but is fundamental to a video game console. That's because these are "video" games. If you just want fun gameplay, that can be done with a NES or a cardboard box.

True, 3D was an expensive visual feature, and one can question it affordability, but there is no question the 3D added to the visual quality of the game's video output. Yes there are downsides, but just looking at the advantages, the 3D does add value. The last question that remains is to what price can this value be offered, and would people be willing to pay for it.

That's it.

Around the Network

theprof00 said:

UGC refers to content that is SOLELY dependant on the player to provide. That is the ENTIRE basis of Minecraft. It is a player driven experience, ie; the amount of time you spend using the game's tools to create is solely dependant on how much you want to put in. You have no requirement to build anything at all (well, bare minimums, arrows and weapons and gear), but you do not have to build anything.

YOU did, though. And you spent many hours building things that weren't exactly necessary, but you built it because it was fun. That is UGC.

LOL, with that logic every single RPG got UGC. A lot of them got alchemy and magic, you could fuse potions and create new spells :D

I believe you just confusing games like SimCity, toy-like, "entertain yourself" expereince with no clear objectives outside those you define for yourself (your "player driven") with UGC. Minecraft is the former (though with new additions it's getting more objective-based), but it's not the latter.

Ok, we're getting off-hand now, it's not Minecraft thread. I'm out.

RolStoppable said:
puffy said:
Rol this is directed squarely at you.

Could you please explain what you meant by: "The fact that Nintendo had to operate at a loss makes it evident that the masses do not value stereoscopic 3D. The only thing that will sell the 3DS will be games"

The inference being that Nintendo operated at a profit with Wii and DS because consumers valued touch screen controls and motion controls and games didn't play any part?

No, games always play a part. The most important part.

The package of the DS and Wii was valued high enough by consumers for Nintendo to sell their systems at a profit. If the market doesn't value the package high enough, then a company is forced to correct the price to sustain a sufficient level of sales.

The stereoscopic 3D of the 3DS was supposed to be a great selling point for Nintendo's new handheld. But because it doesn't change gaming in any notable way (and it's highly unlikely that it ever will), it has little value to consumers. And something that has next to no value is something that people do not want to pay for.

Nintendo simply was not able to expand the market enough with 3d. There are plenty of viable venues for a 3d camera handheld and Nintendo has not pushed it's ability. Look at Kinect. It has shit games but sells a lot because it's useful in other applications. It doesn't have to be useful for games in order for it to be a good product. (Of course, this is the same shit I always talk when people say Kinect is a success...I remind them that it's only a success in alternate applications and not for games)

Nintendo has not done a good enough job showing us what can be done with the 3d in other applications. For example, with the wii, we had the balance board. Wii Fit is not exactly a game, but the tech in the system provided us with this new application. Nintendo has not done this with the 3DS.

mai said:

theprof00 said:

LOL, with that logic every single RPG got UGC. A lot of them got alchemy and magic, you could fuse potions and create new spells :D

Your example, is 100% terrible analogy. You are not creating new spells ever in RPG. You have a finite content that you cannot increase by any means. Minecraft doesn't have that limitation. 100% wrong.

You think Rol cares that we're talking about minecraft? He wants people to post in his thread, it doesn't bother him at all.

happydolphin said:

Something doesn't need to improve gameplay (if that's what you mean by gaming) in order to be considered viable. For example, increased graphical capabilities doesn't improve gameplay, but is fundamental to a video game console. That's because these are "video" games. If you just want fun gameplay, that can be done with a NES or a cardboard box.

True, 3D was an expensive visual feature, and one can question it affordability, but there is no question the 3D added to the visual quality of the game's video output. Yes there are downsides, but just looking at the advantages, the 3D does add value. The last question that remains is to what price can this value be offered, and would people be willing to pay for it.

That's it.

Graphical changes enable new gameplay opportunities to a point, as do general improvements in system capabilities, but they are no substitute for good ideas, and their ability to enable good ideas has been overstated.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

theprof00 said:
mai said:

theprof00 said:

Your example, is 100% terrible analogy. You are not creating new spells ever in RPG. You have a finite content that you cannot increase by any means. Minecraft doesn't have that limitation. 100% wrong.

You think Rol cares that we're talking about minecraft? He wants people to post in his thread, it doesn't bother him at all.

Read above, I did elaborate in my post.