By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sly Cooper series or Jak & Daxter?

Sly or Jak & Daxter?

Sly 17 17.89%

Jak & Daxter 22 23.16%

Sly, but J&D is awesome as well 17 17.89%

J&D, but Sly is awesome as well 15 15.79%

I've only played one of these series 6 6.32%

I haven't played either ... 18 18.95%

Total:95

I've never played either, but I'm getting more and more interested in the Sly series. It seems that from this generation Sly gets more love and has more fans than Jak & Daxter (especially judging from the ps3 HD collection sales of Sly compared to J&D); but when all these games originally released on the ps2, the Jak and Daxter games sold over 2 times more than the Sly games. 

I only have time currently to check out one of these series. The Sly series seems more interesting to me than J&D, but it also doesn't make sense why J&D sold so much more if they weren't really the better games. Opinions please:)

Around the Network

Back in my PS2 days I always considered the 3 platformer-ish games in this order:

Ratchet>Jak>Sly

I have never played Sly though so that was an unsubstantiated claim on my part

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

JOKA_ said:
Back in my PS2 days I always considered the 3 platformer-ish games in this order:

Ratchet>Jak>Sly

I have never played Sly though so that was an unsubstantiated claim on my part

Gotcha. Never played the ps2 R&C games, but played both ps3 ones. I was impressed with ToD, but ACiT was quite boring overall imo, and made me lose interest in the series. A friend told me the ps3 R&C games are inferior to the 3 ps2 R&C games, though.

I recently finished the Sly collection and am now halfway Jak 2 in the J&D collection.

I would rate them like this:
J&D precursor legacy
Sly collection in order
J&D 2 and 3

The difference between the precursor legacy and J&D 2 is still too jarring. It takes a while to get used to the transition from the colorful variety with plenty of humor and seamlessly interconnected levels of the precursor legacy to a dark Jack moving around in an annoying gta style overworld. It's fine once you get to the platforming but the crap in between is a big let down.

Sly cooper also changes quite drastically from the first to the other 2. The first one is pretty much a pure 3D platformer, while 2 and 3 focus more on story and have you do different tasks with different characters. The style remains the same however. (Apart from Carmalita's voice, did not like her voice actor in part 3)

You can't go wrong with the game play of either though. I would say Sly is slightly more forgiving in platforming then J&D and has a bit more variety and content. Yet the charm of the precursor legacy makes it stand out even above R&C. Speaking of R&C I'm also looking forward to replaying those games when that collection comes out.

Btw replaying these games in order is quite the eye opener in how ps2 graphics advanced during the generation. The difference between the first and last games in the series seems a generation apart.

Sly: 1 fantastic game, 2 great games
J&D: 1 fantastically awesome game, 2 shite games

Around the Network

There both great series in my opinion

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share

Jak games in my opinion.

The Sly games are for 5 year olds.

Dr.Grass said:
The Sly games are for 5 year olds.

I played the first 3 Sly games last year and really enjoyed them

Both of these games i have only found out about during this generation and bought the Sly Collection on a chance that the games were going to be good and was so glad i did as the games were brilliant! I plan on getting the Jak & Daxter collection soon and give them a go so only then will i be able to give a proper comparison, but im so glad they are making a 4th Sly Cooper game