By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Who did what wrong this gen? (big 3, devs, pubs, consumers)

Which of the big 3 had the most potential to "win" this gen?

Microsoft 17 12.88%

Sony 79 59.85%

Nintendo 36 27.27%

Total:132
Turkish said:

And that was 2009, I suppose all first gen 360 models to be dead by now.

Considering I still have one that works, nope.

Around the Network
Millenium said:
Turkish said:

Nice to know yours still works, mine from '08 gave up on me :(

Turkish said:
Millenium said:
Turkish said:

Nice to know yours still works, mine from '08 gave up on me :(

That's a bummer. :( I've had the fortune of never having a total console failure from any company. (Except for some strange device I can't remember the name of ~15 years ago.

Sony - Too expensive PS3. Let Microsoft steal a lot of their fanbase with their cheaper console.
Microsoft - Rushed the Xbox 360 which lead to extremely high failure rate. The infamous RROD.
Nintendo - Too weak of a console. Not powerful enough to receive ports of 3rd party games.

Jay520 said:

I'd say Sony made the biggest mistakes this generation.

Their quest for advanced architecture has been a high mistake. It resulted in an extremely unreasonable price point for the PS3 as well as overly-complicated architecture.

If the PS3's architecture wasn't so complicated, games like Gran Turismo / inFAMOUS / The Last Guardian, etc. would have came a lot earlier, a game like Uncharted 1 may have had the features that Uncharted 2 had, and the system probably would have snagged a few of the X360's exclusives if developers believed it was worth the trouble of development.

I also think that a few of Sony developers focus on graphics too much. A game like Killzone 2 really should have had splitscreen & co-op but I believe graphics held it back.

ps3 architecture had nothing to do with those games dev time

and killzone 3 had splitscreen co-op

Around the Network

Sony - Pricing failure. PS3 is difficult to develop for. Poor early PS3 lineup. Bad PSP performance outside of Japan. PSN security. Not making Demons' Souls a first-party IP. E3 2006.
Microsoft - Red ring of death. Failure to penetrate the Japanese market. Not producing more innovative new IPs. The past two E3 showings. Continuously ruining Rare. Crackdown 2.
Nintendo - Not pushing online enough. Not pushing the Wii hardware enough. Foregoing HDTV support. Not helping third-party developers enough. Metroid: Other M. E3 2008.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Andrespetmonkey said:
Turkish said:
Sony failed at marketing this gen

Nintendo failed with the motion controls this gen, I dont see myself trying to play a Wii 10 years from now for nostalgia sake, imagine trying to fire up Skyward Sword again and try to learn how to play the Motion+ and setting up the sensor bar

Microsoft failed with the RROD, 55% failure rate is just unacceptable. And the most shocking thing is, MS knew about the RROD before 360 launch but they still released it on the market, for that 1 year headstart.

55? Link?

I remember it being around 30%, which is still really bad, but 55 is just shocking

There is no real source because he has simply believed a ridiculous article to back up some bias. As the link he posted showed his 'statistics' are from a reader poll by a gaming magazine. A reader poll isn't a good measure of something in a balanced way. Especially not at a time when MS was very unpopular due to the RRoD issue. The way to know is to look at actual hardware failures, not trust what people say.

The only things approaching vageuly reliably figures we ever got was:
1) First few months MS stated the rate was with-in 3-5% normal error. This was clearly just early days and it rose from there.
2) An article at Venturebeat from the guy who wrote the two books on the history of Xbox and 360 stated that of the 11.6million shipped, 1.2million had failed. His source was anonymous so it's hard to verify. 
3) The same guy quoted a MS engineer that 3-4 months before release the failure rate was still 68%. However it is likely this was still in the phase of improving production so we have no idea where it finished when they started making launch units. This was denied by MS and the source was anonymous so is difficult to verify. 
4) Squaretrade a warranty provider looked at around a thousand consoles and found a failure rate of 16.4% but said they expected long term it would be higher. 

The most realiable figures for consoles in consumer hands is either the 1.2 out of 11.6 million or 16.4% but expected to be higher. So seemingly 10-20% would be the most 'official' figure. However personally my guess is the failures were around 25-30% in the long run. There was a rumour from gamestop that this is what they experienced. Still a very high failure but no where near 55%.

I also suspect a certain percentage were simply because the 360 was the first console that had to be treated more like a pc. You couldn't put it in a sealed entertainment cabinet, on carpet etc etc. Seriously if someone's console failed once or twice, yea probably a manufacturing problem. However you had people saying they were on their fifth, sixth system etc. That person was doing something wrong. They had a fan blocked by carpet, had put it somewhere where the heat could barely escape etc etc.

To this day I still remember a reasonably well known thread on Neogaf. Where a user lamented how he had gone through multiple 360s (I believe he was on number 5 or something). He complained how dreadful the build quality was etc etc. Then he posted a picture to show his set up. His 360 was standing vertically on top of a MASSIVE subwoofer. So a subwoofer that is there for bass and makes lots of vibrations and you have a delicate console sitting on top of it.... hmmmm. So spinning disc + deep vibrations. The user then tried to back pedal and claim his subwoofer was a wine cooler that just so happened to be identical to a known subwoofer model and it wasn't his fault the consoles were breaking. 

Turkish says and I'm allowed to quote that: Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3 look better than Unreal Engine 4 games will or the tech demo does. Also the Naughty Dog PS3 ENGINE PLAYS better than the UE4 ENGINE.

logic56 said:

It definitely had something to do with it. I don't think those developers are that incompetent so that they take so long for one game (maybe not so much in inFAMOUS's case though).

I never said anything about Killzone 3.

Microsoft - RROD and not being able to figure Japan despite having 80% of the same games as PS3.
Sony - Being a hardware vendor forever and not being able to figure out a business model allowing them to stop losing money on videogame hardware
Nintendo - Not releasing WiiU in christmas 2011.

Jay520 said:
logic56 said:

It definitely had something to do with it. I don't think those developers are that incompetent so that they take so long for one game (maybe not so much in inFAMOUS's case though).

I never said anything about Killzone 3.

PD scraped the games' entire engine and rebuilt it from the ground up that's what took so long there, and the last guardian guy had no idea what he wanted to do, you know the troubled artist thing, they should have never revealed it in the first place imo

and Killzone 3 looked better than Killzone 2 and had split screen co-op so focusing on graphics clearly wasn't an issue, it was just a feature that didn't make it in, that happens like... A LOT