By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo earnings net loss 43 Billion yen, 3DS still sold at loss (until approx August '12)

Smeags said:
Game Nintendo VGChartz Difference
Mario Kart 7 (3DS) 5,240,000 5,300,000 +60,000
Super Mario 3D Land (3DS) 5,840,000 5,750,000 -90,000
Mario Kart Wii (Wii) 32,440,000 31,840,000 -600,000
New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii) 26,260,000 25,300,000 -960,000

These are the only games I could get for the week ending March 31st. Nintendo's #'s are sold to consumer right?

All the numbers in the Nintendo site are sold to retailer (shipped).

The sold to consumer numbers is to be out tomorrow.

Around the Network
ethomaz said:

Thanks. I always get confused because they always release both sold and shipped, and I tend to forget which is which. ^_^

Mr Khan said:

A businessman would just tear down what makes Nintendo, Nintendo, since we can see what all the "businessmen" want Nintendo to do from all the analyst chatter, and it isn't pretty.

Good point. I didn't think of that.

Any way we can get Malstrom as CEO? (lol he'd go too far)

Soleron said:
Mr Khan said:

A businessman would just tear down what makes Nintendo, Nintendo, since we can see what all the "businessmen" want Nintendo to do from all the analyst chatter, and it isn't pretty.

Good point. I didn't think of that.

Any way we can get Malstrom as CEO? (lol he'd go too far)

Malstrom's approach would also be too radical. What we need is simply the return of Nintendo's early Wii/DS approach, which we are seeing some steps towards with Nintendo's quick re-orient of late. E3 will tell the whole tale, of course, so we need to wait before we can feel secure.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Smeags said:
ethomaz said:

Thanks. I always get confused because they always release both sold and shipped, and I tend to forget which is which. ^_^

Yeah that shipped, sold to retailers and sold to customers thing can be very confusing. I think there are differences between in the first two, which is why they use the term 'sales' in their statement. But I see them used interchangeably around here so...

My 3ds friendcode: 5413-0232-9676 (G-cyber)

Around the Network

Malstrom's approach would also be too radical. What we need is simply the return of Nintendo's early Wii/DS approach, which we are seeing some steps towards with Nintendo's quick re-orient of late. E3 will tell the whole tale, of course, so we need to wait before we can feel secure.

Agreed, but the whole of Malstrom's blog isn't really, "Nintendo are doing the wrong thing" but "Nintendo do not understand why what they did before worked, so they have no idea how to go back to it". Like surprise being the foundation of sales, when actually doing the same thing a little better is all that is needed for a sequel, and gimmicks aren't needed for consoles to sell.

Smeags said:
BlkPaladin said:

The investor meeting is sometime tomorrow so anywhere between 10 and 18 hours we have to wait.

Boo! Hiss!

@Soleron

You're trying way too hard.

I guess the meeting is in the morning so I should be in the next 3-to-5 hours now (9-to-10am, I think Japan is in one time zone.)

Nintendo is doomed lol
seriously, still plenty of cash in the bank, dont worry about the big N.

Guys, was this the 2nd meeting you were talking about?
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/120427/index.html

By the way, is the PS3 bump in this year due to One Piece? It's a huge bump!

And I like how he words it, very respectful:  " On the other hand, since this year started, we have seen the Wii sales quickly losing momentum. In the home console market this year, Sony’s PlayStation 3 remains in good shape."