By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Crysis 3 not coming to the Wii U

I'll wait til E3 and decide for myself if that was a smart move or not.

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

Around the Network

Then again...Valve’s Steam VS. EA’s Origin: Who Will Host Wii U’s Online Service?

Read more: Valve’s Steam VS. EA’s Origin: Who Will Host Wii U’s Online Service? http://www.videogamesblogger.com/2011/12/12/valves-steam-vs-eas-origin-who-will-host-wii-us-online-service.htm#ixzz1t46tlnaa

Online portion is critical. Too many conspiracies to voice an opinion.

KeptoKnight said:
Then again...Valve’s Steam VS. EA’s Origin: Who Will Host Wii U’s Online Service?

Read more: Valve’s Steam VS. EA’s Origin: Who Will Host Wii U’s Online Service? http://www.videogamesblogger.com/2011/12/12/valves-steam-vs-eas-origin-who-will-host-wii-us-online-service.htm#ixzz1t46tlnaa

I thought that was old news. Nintendo is making there on, online system that they will run themselves. I'm sure that is what they said.

lilbroex said:
KeptoKnight said:

I thought that was old news. Nintendo is making there on, online system that they will run themselves. I'm sure that is what they said.

Yeah I did read about that here: http://wii.ign.com/articles/121/1217360p1.html

So it is either competition or online infrastructure.

"Last July, Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime told Forbes that Nintendo will allow other publishers’ networks -- services like Valve’s Steam and EA’s Origin, I assume -- to operate as part of Nintendo’s online service:"

http://mynintendonews.com/2012/01/21/nintendo-network-to-rival-xbox-live-and-psn/

It's not like he said it wouldn't be there right away, he's talking about it never coming to Wii U, no matter how long it's on the market. That's definitely very telling of the 3rd party perspective toward Nintendo consoles, and certainly a sign of things [not] to come.

Around the Network
TheShape31 said:

It's not like he said it wouldn't be there right away, he's talking about it never coming to Wii U, no matter how long it's on the market. That's definitely very telling of the 3rd party perspective toward Nintendo consoles, and certainly a sign of things [not] to come.

Did you listen to the interview? Beacuse when he started talking about the launch lineup, I got an entirely different impression.

It could be either, we don't know ... and to be honest, i don't care.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Viper1 said:
Mazty said:

Can anyone say "Dreamcast"? Being turned down before release is worrying.

I can say Dreamcast just fine but I certainly would not equate the Wii U to the Dreamcast prior to launch.

Keep in mind we have yet to even have E3 yet we still know the following games are in development:

Aliens: Colonial Marines
Assassin's Creed III
Batman: Arkham City
Untitled Battlefield
Darksiders II
Untitled Dirt
Dragon Quest X: The Five Awakening Races Online
Untitled F1/Formula One
Killer Freaks from Outer Space
Lego City Stories
Metro: Last Light
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
Pikmin 3
Project CARS
Project Nova
Untitled Rabbids
Untitled Super Mario game
Untitled Super Smash Bros. sequel
Untitled Tekken
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Online
Untitled The Legend of Zelda
Your Shape Wii U

Hardly being "Dreamcasted" I'd say.

The slight problem with that list is that a lot of those games are multiplatform. 
I know it's a crappy source, but from my experience most wii owners have at least one 360 or PS3 in their household. If the rumours are true that the WiiU is less powerful then the current consoles, then it begs the question why anyone would buy a new console to play games they can already play on their existing console with their existing friends on Live/PSN.
As much as the controller is interesting, the timing of the release and the content just seems too much like the Dreamcast for me. 

Mazty said:

The slight problem with that list is that a lot of those games are multiplatform. 
I know it's a crappy source, but from my experience most wii owners have at least one 360 or PS3 in their household. If the rumours are true that the WiiU is less powerful then the current consoles, then it begs the question why anyone would buy a new console to play games they can already play on their existing console with their existing friends on Live/PSN.
As much as the controller is interesting, the timing of the release and the content just seems too much like the Dreamcast for me. 

Well, I've already ripped the rumors to shreds myself.  I'm a tech head and the idea the Wii U is not even as powerful as the X360 or PS3 is just silly as hell.  To be blunt, it would be harder and cost more for the Wii U to less powerful than it would to be more powerful.

However, you referenced the Dreamcast on the basis that the Wii U isn't getting a game (specifically a game from EA as was the case with the Dreamcast) but as the list shows, it's getting games, lots of them and E3 hasn't even happened yet. 

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Viper1 said:
Mazty said:

Well, I've already ripped the rumors to shreds myself.  I'm a tech head and the idea the Wii U is not even as powerful as the X360 or PS3 is just silly as hell.  To be blunt, it would be harder and cost more for the Wii U to less powerful than it would to be more powerful.

However, you referenced the Dreamcast on the basis that the Wii U isn't getting a game (specifically a game from EA as was the case with the Dreamcast) but as the list shows, it's getting games, lots of them and E3 hasn't even happened yet. 

Are you a developer?
I know it sounds absurd, but so far apparently two devs have said the Wii U isn't as graphically as powerful. It isn't that silly a concept depending on the price of the pad. They may be sacrificing console power to keep the overall package price down.

But most of the games it's getting aren't going to help sell it as they are available on existing consoles...As I said why would an Xbox owner get a new console and, let's say Last Light, when he can just pick up Last Light for the 360? 

Mazty said:
Viper1 said:

Are you a developer?
I know it sounds absurd, but so far apparently two devs have said the Wii U isn't as graphically as powerful. It isn't that silly a concept depending on the price of the pad. They may be sacrificing console power to keep the overall package price down.

But most of the games it's getting aren't going to help sell it as they are available on existing consoles...As I said why would an Xbox owner get a new console and, let's say Last Light, when he can just pick up Last Light for the 360? 

No, but I am in the media and speak with developers.  The fact those 2 developers stayed anonymous while other developers have spoken outright (including Crytek themselves) with counterclaims doesn't give much weight to their case.   But I'll give you some generalities on why it's silly.

The Wii U CPU is based on either Power7 or Power A2 by IBM.   Even with reduced cores and clocks to keep heat down, they are much more powerful than CELL and Xenos.   To make them less powerful than either would require IBM to make expensive cuts to the chips.

The GPU is based on AMD's HD Radeon GPU's.  Now many people claim it's the R700 series (specifically the HD 4770).  But AMD has only noted it will use the most modern shaders and architecture which doesn't suggest the R700 series at all.    But, even if we stick to the R700 series, a lowly HD 4650 is much more powerful than either the RSX or Xenon.  Again, taking a modern GPU stripping it down to less than either of those GPU's makes very little sense economically.

Yes, many of the games announced so far are coming to the other consoles as well.  This is to be expected as E3 is yet to happen.  Exclusives will see an announcement there.   As for getting an X360 or PS3 owner to get a Wii U just for a game they can already get on their console?  That's not really the goal.  The point is existing Wii owners (that may also have an HD console) are likely to upgrade to a Wii U.  At that point, why wouldn't someone that owns any of the consoles get a game for the one that provides the most enjoyment?   Or it's to attract people that don't yet have any console.  And those looking to bolster their Wii U library.   If you have a PS3 and an X360, why get one game on one system and game on the other?  It happens all the time.  Why expect Wii U to be any different from that?

The rEVOLution is not being televised