Yes, I am smart. 94 75.81%

No, I am an idiot. 16 12.90%

No, I want Nintendo to fail. 13 10.48%

Total:123

3D Mario > 2D Mario

Around the Network
Soleron said:
happydolphin said:

You clearly didn't read my post with the NES games and their sales, the market Malstrom was talking about created by Mario.

You're mixing two things up, Malstrom's views, which confuse sales and awesomeness, and Rol's pov.

Like most of us, Rol wants to see Nintendo do well. In that case, he wants them to sell well. But if you look earlier in the topic, I asked Rol, what is most important here, sales or awesomeness, and he told me awesomeness. So the question is, if a game is fantastic, yet it doesn't sell all that well, which desire is the most important, for Nintendo to do well, or for their games to sell.

You'll tell me, they're one and the same, when a game is good, it will sell. But the fact of the matter is, many games don't sell all too well (relatively speaking) despite being gems. Galaxy is by far a much better game than NSMBWii, but which one sold better, we both know the answer to these questions.

Bottom line, if that is your stance, that you discuss sales as sales and don't equate sales to quality, don't bash a game if it doesn't sell well, be SPECIFIC. Just say: "this or that game would have sold better", don't use other confusing rhetoric such as "this game didn't sell well because it's not a real Mario".

And I'll gracefuly close this with

"..."

Wasn't really responding to you, was making a point Rol made stand out more.

Not, when a game is good it will sell. The games that sell IS the only decent measure of quality (obviously you can hold a subjective ranking but it's not worth discussing on the internet as your preferences are your own). Plenty of quality games that I like haven't sold, and they didn't deserve to sell either.

Galaxy had higher production values, yes. Was it doing the job the market needed it to do, not really. Nintendo put no effort into NSMB Wii (recycle art, sound and level design) and yet it sold more. If Nintendo had put NSMB Wii on an equal pedestal development wise we wouldn't need to have this debate, it would just be so high that Nintendo couldn't continue to be in denial about what they need to spend money on.

I disagree with Rol if that's what he said, I believe sales are the important thing. I desire Nintendo to do well because they will then have enough money to do projects that don't make sense - the games I like e.g. Galaxy.

"not a real Mario" is Malstrom shorthand for "a sequel to the original Marios that people who liked those would want to buy, and that new gamers can experience the same as what SMB did for 80s gamers".

@bold. It's all very ambiguous. Malstrom seems to be saying that, since 2D Mario created a market for such great games, then we need to encourage 2D Mario, his point is founded on awesomeness. But then, at other times, the argument is that, since Nintendo makes more money with NSMB, then that's what matters since that will fuel higher quality games. Yet when said higher quality games are released, people are upset, so what's the dealio?

Well, I think they should make up their minds. If it's Mario that creates a market for awesome games, then so be it, but if it creates a market for cheap revivals yet makes loads of cash, then nobody's happy.

Also, sales are not a measure of quality, they're a measure of appeal. What is a measure of quality is objective: time spent on the project, talent working on the project (which teams), the ultimate score (reviews, metascore), the longevity (is it a classic?). All these points taken TOGETHER are the right metrics for quality, sales is not. It's a measure of a baseline quality, enough so as to not be put in the shovelware category, but sales generally measures appeal, not quality, and appeal requires a baseline of quality, not much more. As for the rest, as we all know, appeal requires certain themes or dynamics that people like, and that's about all there is to the secret recipe.

nitekrawler1285 said:

The crash games where 2.5 rather than 3D , also there was an interview , about the time the crash series was having great succes in Japan , and co founders  , Andy Gavin and Jason Rubin said no matter their success , they would all ways be chasing Miyamoto .

Isn't 2.5 just a term used to describe 3D games that play in 2 dimensions?

Well they haven't been as successful as the man especially in terms of software sold so I suppose they still are. Honestly who is? The man has created more sales in more types of genres than most developers will ever see.  Of course they will be chasing that kind of success.  

I think they where talking in terms of game play and ideas rather than sales plus the fact is the Disney's , Asamu Tezuka's and Miyamoto's of the world tend to have been there at or near the beginning so in many regards ,they  as pioneers and industry legends they will never be topped.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

RolStoppable said:
happydolphin said:

"You can disregard technology all you want but the market says otherwise."

I don't know what you mean by this, because time and time again the market has clearly shown that it disregards technology and supports the systems that get the most games with substance. Nothing has changed in regards to that. Every video game system will eventually stagnate and decline, because it stops to offer something new and the wave of sequels start to feel to samey. This is why the console cycle would exist even if there was only one single manufacturer of hardware.

Here I'm not talking about inter-console competition (like N64 to PSX), I'm talking about inter-generational competition (like say GB to GBA). People need new hardware, and I think the PSP example is a good one.

We are mostly on the same page with the other things, so I cut them out.

In the other part that relates to this quote you said that I need to disprove the PS2. What exactly do you mean by that?

I don't disagree that people need new hardware eventually, I said as much above (see bolded). But since people all have their individual value metrics, some (like technophiles) wish to move on sooner while most others are still happy for another couple of years and are perfectly content with waiting until the price of new hardware comes down or until games that really justify to purchase the new system come out. Simply because the current system continues to enjoy good support and thus sees steady releases.

Here, what I'm trying to say is that technology is costing more and more to up generationally, so people, expecting more power from their console, need to pay much more of a premium than when the jumps were happening in the previous gens. The cost of a jump nowadays is much higher to offer the same wow factor.

About technophiles, the thing about them is that they are willing to pay for more, but there are just so many technophiles. After a while, the mainstream needs to drive your sales, and at 250$ it seems the market said they weren't willing. That's kind of how I see it.

happydolphin said:
Soleron said:
happydolphin said:

You clearly didn't read my post with the NES games and their sales, the market Malstrom was talking about created by Mario.

You're mixing two things up, Malstrom's views, which confuse sales and awesomeness, and Rol's pov.

Like most of us, Rol wants to see Nintendo do well. In that case, he wants them to sell well. But if you look earlier in the topic, I asked Rol, what is most important here, sales or awesomeness, and he told me awesomeness. So the question is, if a game is fantastic, yet it doesn't sell all that well, which desire is the most important, for Nintendo to do well, or for their games to sell.

You'll tell me, they're one and the same, when a game is good, it will sell. But the fact of the matter is, many games don't sell all too well (relatively speaking) despite being gems. Galaxy is by far a much better game than NSMBWii, but which one sold better, we both know the answer to these questions.

Bottom line, if that is your stance, that you discuss sales as sales and don't equate sales to quality, don't bash a game if it doesn't sell well, be SPECIFIC. Just say: "this or that game would have sold better", don't use other confusing rhetoric such as "this game didn't sell well because it's not a real Mario".

"..."

Not, when a game is good it will sell. The games that sell IS the only decent measure of quality (obviously you can hold a subjective ranking but it's not worth discussing on the internet as your preferences are your own). Plenty of quality games that I like haven't sold, and they didn't deserve to sell either.

Galaxy had higher production values, yes. Was it doing the job the market needed it to do, not really. Nintendo put no effort into NSMB Wii (recycle art, sound and level design) and yet it sold more. If Nintendo had put NSMB Wii on an equal pedestal development wise we wouldn't need to have this debate, it would just be so high that Nintendo couldn't continue to be in denial about what they need to spend money on.

I disagree with Rol if that's what he said, I believe sales are the important thing. I desire Nintendo to do well because they will then have enough money to do projects that don't make sense - the games I like e.g. Galaxy.

"not a real Mario" is Malstrom shorthand for "a sequel to the original Marios that people who liked those would want to buy, and that new gamers can experience the same as what SMB did for 80s gamers".

@bold. It's all very ambiguous. Malstrom seems to be saying that, since 2D Mario created a market for such great games, then we need to encourage 2D Mario, his point is founded on awesomeness. But then, at other times, the argument is that, since Nintendo makes more money with NSMB, then that's what matters since that will fuel higher quality games. Yet when said higher quality games are released, people are upset, so what's the dealio?

Well, I think they should make up their minds. If it's Mario that creates a market for awesome games, then so be it, but if it creates a market for cheap revivals yet makes loads of cash, then nobody's happy.

Also, sales are not a measure of quality, they're a measure of appeal. What is a measure of quality is objective: time spent on the project, talent working on the project (which teams), the ultimate score (reviews, metascore), the longevity (is it a classic?). All these points taken TOGETHER are the right metrics for quality, sales is not. It's a measure of a baseline quality, enough so as to not be put in the shovelware category, but sales generally measures appeal, not quality, and appeal requires a baseline of quality, not much more. As for the rest, as we all know, appeal requires certain themes or dynamics that people like, and that's about all there is to the secret recipe.

I have no problem with those games being made. Nintendo just needs to not make them the focus of a year's lineup and expect them to sell. Fire Emblem is a great series and leading its genre but no one would expect it to sell a 3DS on its own at Christmas. Yet this is exactly what Nintendo hoped for with Galaxy 2, and then with Skyward Sword.

Nintendo's executives main problem is that they do not understand the game market. It would be fine if they said, we know X would sell better but we are doing Y, outright. But if you read the interviews it's more of a Reggie "what's wrong with you" when a Galaxy doesn't sell like a 2D Mario. They just don't know why.

The measure of quality you are describing is cool - for you. You can come to your own conclusions about which games are better and why, based on some combination of what you listed. Sales isn't the only thing, sure, but if we are talking about what Nintendo is doing wrong and how they could do it better, time, talent and metacritic score are not issues for them at the moment. NCL is a top tier studio. It is being misused. Longevity I left out because it is also a revenue issue, if games retain their value they can be selling at $30+ years after release and be earning. The existence of low priced used copies is actually a failure on the developer's part to make a profitable game.

Around the Network
Soleron said:
happydolphin said:
Soleron said:
happydolphin said:

"..."

I have no problem with those games being made. Nintendo just needs to not make them the focus of a year's lineup and expect them to sell. Fire Emblem is a great series and leading its genre but no one would expect it to sell a 3DS on its own at Christmas. Yet this is exactly what Nintendo hoped for with Galaxy 2, and then with Skyward Sword.

Nintendo's executives main problem is that they do not understand the game market. It would be fine if they said, we know X would sell better but we are doing Y, outright. But if you read the interviews it's more of a Reggie "what's wrong with you" when a Galaxy doesn't sell like a 2D Mario. They just don't know why.

The measure of quality you are describing is cool - for you. You can come to your own conclusions about which games are better and why, based on some combination of what you listed. Sales isn't the only thing, sure, but if we are talking about what Nintendo is doing wrong and how they could do it better, time, talent and metacritic score are not issues for them at the moment. NCL is a top tier studio. It is being misused. Longevity I left out because it is also a revenue issue, if games retain their value they can be selling at $30+ years after release and be earning. The existence of low priced used copies is actually a failure on the developer's part to make a profitable game.

I agree mostly. The part I'm not making myself really clear about, is that Malstrom begs for 2D Mario since it created a market of games his demographics likes (awesomeness), not games the broader market likes (sales/appeal). His reason for it is ambiguous since he usually critiques Nintendo by using sales as his argument, but here it's about good games so I'm totally confused. If it's good games he wants, then Galaxy is a way to go, and much more so than NSMB. But if it's sales, then good games, his argument should be NSMB and only NSMB, none of this "Mario creates a market for good games" hypocrisy.

Yeah. I think if you called Malstrom out on it he would change the language. It does read like that. He repeats himself endlessly in blog posts so fully explaining it's about sales as if to a new reader is not something he does any more.

I would rephrase it like: NSMB brings in new gamers, expands the gaming audience. SMB inspired a whole generation to go out and make games, leading to almost everything we have today. SM64 games only appeal to the existing gaming audience so are likely to lead to more SM64 games (Banjo-Kazooie) so gaming stays small and doesn't become like music and art and literature and film.

Soleron said:
Yeah. I think if you called Malstrom out on it he would change the language. It does read like that. He repeats himself endlessly in blog posts so fully explaining it's about sales as if to a new reader is not something he does any more.

I would rephrase it like: NSMB brings in new gamers, expands the gaming audience. SMB inspired a whole generation to go out and make games, leading to almost everything we have today. SM64 games only appeal to the existing gaming audience so are likely to lead to more SM64 games (Banjo-Kazooie) so gaming stays small and doesn't become like music and art and literature and film.

That clarification helps alot, but even that doesn't really hold water. Check my retort here. It inspired a generation of games, but that generation of games appealed to only a very small fraction of Mario's initial market. So how is the result different from 3D Mario I just don't see it. Actually, 3D Mario launched more success, since games like uncharted sell at least 3M.

happydolphin said:
Soleron said:

That clarification helps alot, but even that doesn't really hold water. Check my retort here. It inspired a generation of games, but that generation of games appealed to only a very small fraction of Mario's initial market. So how is the result different from 3D Mario I just don't see it. Actually, 3D Mario launched more success, since games like uncharted sell at least 3M.

Conceded.

I don't actually believe 100% in my rewrite.

RolStoppable said:

theRepublic said:

It doesn't change the fact that Malstrom doesn't know jack about game criticism or recognize the value of a diverse game line up.

Which is why he called Reggie an idiot for not wanting to bring the Operation Rainfall games to America or Nintendo on the whole for keeping games like Zangeki No Reginleiv in Japan.

You people keep criticizing Malstrom for being closed-minded, yet none of you ever saw a problem with Super Mario Galaxy 2 which goes completely against the idea of a more diverse game lineup. Its changes to the previous game are minimal. It's just Yoshi and a couple of new power-ups. Likewise, apparently there's no real problem with the 3DS lineup even though it's one 3D gameplay title after another. Despite the fact that Nintendo are masters of 2D gameplay.

I would agree with that.  There is no reason for NOA to not localize these games.

No, Galaxy 2 did not promote a diverse line up.  However, it was based in good business practices.  The assets and ideas were already there.  Low cost for high profit.  It is clear there was demand there, so fans got what they wanted too.

But if Malstrom had his way, the first Galaxy would have never existed.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)