By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How Region locking is screwing people over (Video)

I

if your region DLC content sucks, think again they should protest against THIS instead of the SOPA (or whatever) , because honestly , this thing is just meaningless, doesn't add anything, and it screws legit buyers over.

Around the Network

*Looks at Nintendo*

NintendoPie said:
*Looks at Nintendo*

Nintendo has that issue in the USA, but MS's whole console is a pain in the ass, for gamers outside the "Supported" countries.

least Nintendo's online segment is the same for everyone. 

"they should protest against THIS instead of the SOPA (or whatever) "

Nope.

PullusPardus said:
NintendoPie said:
*Looks at Nintendo*

Nintendo has that issue in the USA, but MS's whole console is a pain in the ass, for gamers outside the "Supported" countries.

least Nintendo's online segment is the same for everyone. 

The only minus is it's Nintendo's online services.

Around the Network

Region locking is a very sensitive issue. Their are so many reasons to lock the content. The problem is are you better off unlocking it or do the benefits of locking out weigh unlocking. I am guessing Nintendo's next system the WiiU will be far more confusing for consumers in regions less supported simply because Nintendo is opening up online and leaving it in the developer/publishers hands. Meaning their won't likely be any consistency.

Now if I was Nintendo I would look for a business partner in the Arab world to bring my content into the region. Their are several regions growing in market influence that Nintendo could tap. Potential customers who remain unreached.

Though I do not think unlocking software is a smart idea. Rather Nintendo, Sony and MS should see the regions potential and invest in the region and bringing content to it. Services like NetFlix are not available due to legal issues as are most games.

So many reasons to maintain region locking. Though piracy is a wild card the benefits of unlocking could greatly reduce piracy. But what about the other issues. I would say the opening of Nintendo AL (Arab League) and maybe Nintendo India would be very smart ideas. Though unlocking the content for sale in all regions would not be. It works better for Valve because Valve is small in comparison to other companies and is not operating in most regions. For a bigger company region locking is almost necessary!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Deoz said:

Nope.

Why?

Region locking is SOOO annoying, hint Nintendo..

Yeah, I hate it a lot (JRPGs, nuff said)

But yeah, it's not anywhere near as bad as SOPA and the likes imo

PullusPardus said:
Deoz said:

Nope.

Why?

"Instead" would be the wrong word, "along" would be better. In my Opinion the Sopa (Cispa or whatever the name is now) is a much more serious matter than just not being able to enjoy a game released in another region.