By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Official Fire Emblem: Awakening thread- European DLC 16/5 out now!

noname2200 said:

For your question: I'm a really big fan. But to be fair, I like the series. Still, the consensus on the internet seems to be that people generally like the game, whether they've played the series before or not.

Do you play on a regular 3DS or an XL? I don't have an XL but plan on getting one relatively soon and have a feeling the game would be better on an XL. Also, how long is the main game? 

*Side Note* Thanks for answering all my questions!

Around the Network
irstupid said:

Further illistrating the Hammer case.

Say you send in your berserker character with a Hammer to take down a knight, cause as you said it does insane damage.  Sounds like a brilliant plan in that you kill this heavily armored enemy easily.  But now its the enemies turn and they send 3-4 guys at your berserker.  Now you are stuck defending with a Hammer.  not that the weapon is weak, it will do the same if not slightly more damage than say your steel axe, but you are wasting the hammers uses on enemies that it's not very effective on.  You are using a 2,000 hammer when a 400 axe will do the same damage.  

The hammer also will only have like 25 uses versus and axes 45 uses.  So you have to think of not only what's effective at the moment, but what will be effective or wasted when the enemy gets their chance to go.  

It's times like this were you actually hope your berserker doesn't kill the enemy.  Cause if you do kill the enemy then that means the space is now free for anotehr enemy to come in and attack you, thus leading you to waste 4+ uses of you insanely expensive hammer on enemies that you could take out with a measly bronze axe.  

Sorry, you gotta take baby steps, imagine I'm a casual gamer who knows nothing about the franchise yet. (I am)

What is a "berserker"? You mentioned a knight too so I'm guessing different people do different things? The demo didn't do a great job at explaining it. When do you pick your weapons? Before you move?

Cold-Flipper said:
noname2200 said:

For your question: I'm a really big fan. But to be fair, I like the series. Still, the consensus on the internet seems to be that people generally like the game, whether they've played the series before or not.

Do you play on a regular 3DS or an XL? I don't have an XL but plan on getting one relatively soon and have a feeling the game would be better on an XL. Also, how long is the main game? 

Regular 3DS. I thought about picking up an XL at some point, but the portability wins out for me. Game still looks great though.

Cold-Flipper said:

Sorry, you gotta take baby steps, imagine I'm a casual gamer who knows nothing about the franchise yet. (I am)

What is a "berserker"? You mentioned a knight too so I'm guessing different people do different things? The demo didn't do a great job at explaining it. When do you pick your weapons? Before you move?

Each character, friend or foe, falls under a certain class of unit. Think of it like most RPGs, where you have your Warrior, Mage, Cleric, etc. Each class has its strengths and weaknesses: this class has weak attacks and defense but is super-speedy and can dodge lots of attacks, this class has great magic but dies easily, this class hits hard and has lots of health, but is extremely vulnerable to magic, etc. It's like you're playing chess, except the rook is also very strong against the bishop, but is vulnerable against the knight.

The game begins with a limited set of available classes, then gradually increases them, so it's never overwhelming.

Does anyone know how many times you can use a master or second seal on the same person?

Cold-Flipper said:
noname2200 said:

Don't get it on the XL its worse

Around the Network
newwil7l said:
Does anyone know how many times you can use a master or second seal on the same person?

Infinite times, assuming they're at least level 10 in a base class.

noname2200 said:
newwil7l said:

Wow I guess I will my make my avatar and cordeilia invincible. My two favorite characters.

This game isn't out here in Australia, and i've never played one. My only exposure to the series is through Smash Bros Melee and Brawl. I've got it preordered based on all the hype and reviews, so im hoping its as good as everyone says, and i do love JRPGs

Cold-Flipper said:
irstupid said:

Further illistrating the Hammer case.

Say you send in your berserker character with a Hammer to take down a knight, cause as you said it does insane damage.  Sounds like a brilliant plan in that you kill this heavily armored enemy easily.  But now its the enemies turn and they send 3-4 guys at your berserker.  Now you are stuck defending with a Hammer.  not that the weapon is weak, it will do the same if not slightly more damage than say your steel axe, but you are wasting the hammers uses on enemies that it's not very effective on.  You are using a 2,000 hammer when a 400 axe will do the same damage.  

The hammer also will only have like 25 uses versus and axes 45 uses.  So you have to think of not only what's effective at the moment, but what will be effective or wasted when the enemy gets their chance to go.  

It's times like this were you actually hope your berserker doesn't kill the enemy.  Cause if you do kill the enemy then that means the space is now free for anotehr enemy to come in and attack you, thus leading you to waste 4+ uses of you insanely expensive hammer on enemies that you could take out with a measly bronze axe.  

Berseker class is basically just an Axe weilding skimpy clothed man.   High damage, not so high defense

Knight class is basically a guy wearing a crap load of armor.  moves slow, normal damage but super high defense.  Weilds spears

Mage class is well a mage.  does magic damage, good magic resistance, but super weak against physical attacks, weilds tomes

cleric class is a healer, can heal people, has good magic resistance, horrible physical defense and also can't attack, weilds staves

Pegasus Knight is a character that flies on a pegasus.  Uses spears, has above average magic and normal physical resist, can move a lot of spaces and fly over things and all terrain.  Is super weak against wind magic and arrows.  

There are like 30 more classes I could also list.  The point is, each class is good at something, bad at something else, can do some things, can't do others, ect.  I just listed quick run down of a few classes.  You could go into detail even further on each of them, but didn't want ot bog it down.  

When you level up enough you can upgrade the class to something more powerful, which will increase moement speed, types of weapons you can use, and other things.  Such as a cleric levels up and then can wield axes as well as staves, so they can finally attack.  Or the knight can upgrade to a great knight which will put him on a horse and thus make him have good movement.  

Then you also take into account terrain effects.  Such as being on sand, mages move normal, horses barely move at all.  If you stand on a grassy area you get +10 to evade.  If you stand on a little tower you get +20 evade and also heal some after the end of the turn.  Then going on to skills that enemies and characters can learn.  The pairing up system, the support system.  ect.

There are so many different things in this game, that its almost rediculous and daunting to probably even try to read what we are saying.  It's kind of something you almost have to play to understand.  The demo while great doesn't really give you that full experience.  

newwil7l said:
noname2200 said:
newwil7l said:

Wow I guess I will my make my avatar and cordeilia invincible. My two favorite characters.

Forwarning.  leveling up becomes super slow after each time of second sealing.

I also love Cordelia.  Here is what I did.

Pegasus Knight lvl 20

Dark Mage lvl 20

Sorcerer lvl 20 (Tomebreaker)

Bow Knight lvl 15 (Bow Breaker)

Falcon Knight lvl 15 (Lancefaire)

finally ending with 

Dark Flier lvl 20 (Galeforce)

Those are the four main skills I wanted with her.  I am currently lvl 12 Falcon Knight.  Right now even killing a boss type character I get only like 20 xp at most.  I usually get like 5 xp per kill with her.  

So as tempting as it is to make a character godly, just remember that it will require a shit ton of grinding to get to that.  It would be great to also get Lifetaker from the Dark Knight skill, but I don't know if I could handle grinding another class to level 15 at least.  I used to level them to 20, but then I realized it was pointless cause I basically alrady have max stats.  I think only mag isn't at max right now.